• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Artificial intelligence

jfields

Where did all my money go?
Anyone else read about the AI drone that turned on its handler and killed him. I think there's a lot of great applications for AI, but in the name of defense scares me. Thoughts?

After reading the article it seems to indicate that it was hypothetical and not real? Or did I not understand it? Just some sort of simulation?

Personally I’m not a fan of all this AI stuff, but in this case from what I read and interpreted, it seemed like the AI was doing what it was supposed to do. Among the tasks it was supposed to accomplish, it seems that garnering “points” was one of them and it sought out the best way to do that, and complete the mission.

Sounds like the “programming” or “tasks” it was given were not thought out all the way through in this case. It’s literally a computer that can perform tasks but also make adjustments when needed. So you have to be very very clear I would guess.

It’s like telling someone “don’t drink all the beer” and later on you find only 1 can of 12 left. They didn’t drink all the beer, right? If you wanted 6 of them, you should say “don’t drink all the beer, leave me at least 6 cans to drink”.

Though maybe depending on who your friends are, you may have to say specifically “6 full unopened cans of that beer right there, to drink”. 😂

I just read further about this, as well. If a robot went rogue and killed a service member, I'm sure it would have filtered through the scuttlebutt channels by now. I'm not a fan of AI, but this is why tests and simulations are run; developers need to find out where the parameters of operation are and how to adjust or exploit them with any new technology.