• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ash

dubya

Banned
Hello all! I have read many of the cigar reviews and have browsed the forums as much as I can to "catch up". One thing that I have noticed is that quite a few folks are quite impressed and/or "actively manage" their ash to impressive lengths. As with other smokers, I enjoy cigars that have stout and tidy ash, but also view that excessive ash lengths can be a detriment to a cigar and ultimately may cause burn problems. For proper combustion, oxygen is required. An excessive ash would seem to suffocate the cherry. For example, my experience with cigars having thick and oily wrappers, excessive ash lengths seems to induce tunneling. I find myself often "managing my ash" so that I gently roll it off when when it is ready to release. This seems to greatly reduce burn problems. I keep my humi close to 65% rh, so humidity should not be an issue. However, I know for certain cigars, dry boxing definitely helps. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

For most, the holding of a very long ash is a novelty just done to see how far it will go for fun. It makes for cool pics & contests. I think wurm is the ultimate winner!! :laugh:

I've heard it allows the cigar to burn cooler, which some people enjoy a "cooler" smoke. But you always look cool when smoking, that's why people smoke. I kid, I kid

Lol! I can see how some good spirited competition could arise out of it! :D I saw a review here where a cigar was pictured with what must have been a 3-4" ash. So stout was this ash that the cigar stood on end w/the ash completely supporting the cigar! Can't remember the member, but that guy has some skills! :0

Lol! I can see how some good spirited competition could arise out of it! :D I saw a review here where a cigar was pictured with what must have been a 3-4" ash. So stout was this ash that the cigar stood on end w/the ash completely supporting the cigar! Can't remember the member, but that guy has some skills! :0

It's called an ash stand, and makes for a great contest.

The length of the ash will oftentimes affect your perception of the cigar. You may find that you like to keep a longer ash on some cigars, and vice versa.

I had a Monte #2 last 4 inches once before I ashed it, but usually I'll knock it off at around an inch if it hasn't fallen off already. I think it does keep the smoke cooler, but I really hate it if the ash falls off onto my lap or the furniture.

Good job on reading more and posting less, dubya! There's a million things you'll learn with the search function.

Mine never more than a few centimeters. I had it fall too many times in my lap. :laugh:

I'm not sure it makes that much difference either. I have noticed that some cigars burn more slowly and straight when the ash is allowed to accumulate. However, that may say more about the cigar's construction than about the ash's influence on the burn.
Sometimes I do it because it just looks purdy.

I'm not sure it makes that much difference either

Yeah...that may be the case. Recently, I have been smoking in my garage where it can get fairly cold. I have read where the cold can affect a cigars burn. Maybe, this is an issue at times?

Research Winston Churchill and why he let his ashes get so long and how he did it. Pretty interesting.

For the most part I like to let the ash get as long as I can just for kicks. Unfortunately it ends up on my lap after abot 2-3 inches.

Research Winston Churchill and why he let his ashes get so long and how he did it. Pretty interesting.

I googled some, but all I could come up with was Churchill dropping ash all over himself and his hosts carpets. :laugh:

I hear ya in2xshp! If I let my go more than a couple inches, it invariably ends up all over me as well. Never mind trying to do an ash stand!!

I googled some, but all I could come up with was Churchill dropping ash all over himself and his hosts carpets. :laugh:

I hear ya in2xshp! If I let my go more than a couple inches, it invariably ends up all over me as well. Never mind trying to do an ash stand!!

He used to insert a unbent paper clip (I think that was it) into his cigar to preserve the ash and unnerve visiting statesmen.

He also rationed himself to 15 cigars a day and wore a 'smoking bib' because he used to ruin good suits with his cigars.

The Maria Mancini Magic Mountain is named after the book by Thomas Mann who was a noted cigar lover.

He always said that the ash should be knocked off before it reaches more than an inch and a half or it will adversely effect the taste. I don't know if he is right but its the motto I try to hold myself to.

Except when trying to win a 5er of Alan's cigars of course :sign:

He used to insert a unbent paper clip (I think that was it) into his cigar to preserve the ash and unnerve visiting statesmen.

He also rationed himself to 15 cigars a day and wore a 'smoking bib' because he used to ruin good suits with his cigars.

yes he did