• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashton Cabinet Churchill

SkyKing

This is going to be one of the shortest reviews I've written. I had rested the Ashton for several months in my "on-deck" humidor.  Pre-light smell was mostly of damp hay and tactile touch was springy - just right. Construction appeared flawless.

I lit up and the initial flavor was light and mellow. Nothing special one way or the other. However, within five to ten minutes, the stick started some serious canoeing. I couldn't right it with my normal tricks, so I ended up performing major surgery. I took the cutters, inserted the HEAD of the smoke, ran the cutters to within a quarter inch behind the burnline, and snipped the burning foot off the stick. 

I've sometimes been able to save a cigar in this manner but in this instance, the patient was too far gone. I re-lit the Ashton but was met with what I call a green tobacco taste. I gave it five more minutes but that nasty flavor wouldn't burn away. I finally put it down in disgust.

This stick cost about $30.00 and I found it damn near unsmokable. Actually, since I had to to put it down, I guess I did find it unsmokable, It may have been a bad stick - I would suspect so - but I'm not about to put out the bucks to find out. 

I'm really surprised. In this price range, I hope to get blown away and expect to be at least impressed. I was impressed, all right. I doubt if I'll be buying from the Ashton line anytime soon.

Pax

I think the Cabinet series is their most under appreciated cigars.  At $30, even in a high tax state, that price is extremely high.  These retail for about $12-$14 and is MUCH better than the classic line, for only about a buck or 2 more.  You obviously had a dud and I'm surprised that you had this experience.  Don't give up on them just yet.

I can't imagine where you spent $30 on that at.  That price seems very out of whack.  I generally will enjoy a cabinet series from time-to-time, and have yet to have an experience like you described.  However, it happens to all cigars every now and then.  It's a shame you weren't able to enjoy it.  Thanks for posting though, and I hope your next one delivers as intended.

Hi Izzy:

Nice to hear from you. I'm sure it was a dud. I'm positive the Ashton name and reputation wasn't built by selling garbage. The market is too discerning. In fairness to Ashton, I should probably have acquired another stick and tested before posting anything. I mostly try to smoke 3 in a line before posting a serious review.

If I recall correctly, the stick was a Cabinet Vimtage #10 and goes for about $80 for a five pack. But I am working on memory and I do not have the band in front of me. I think I still have the band. I'll check and correct myself if needed. I normally don't need to this, since I'm married.  :whistling:

SkyKing said:

If I recall correctly, the stick was a Cabinet Vimtage #10 and goes for about $80 for a five pack. But I am working on memory and I do not have the band in front of me. I think I still have the band. I'll check and correct myself if needed. I normally don't need to this, since I'm married.  :whistling:

Well...at $80 for a 5'er, that puts it at $16 already, rather than $30.  Where did the $30 claim come from?

Brickhouse, you beat me to the punch. I'm embarrased. Blame the $30 calculation on imminent alzheimers, and I'm not entirely joking. Relooked and recalculated and you're correct, the stick price was $16, not $30. My apologies for the mistake. Thanks all for bringing this to my attention.

But of course,  it didn't taste any better at $16.00 at stick.

Ok, all good.  Just wanted to make sure.  Regardless, a $16 stick should not behave that way, but it does happen. 

Yeah, it happens. The first johnny-o I tried was as good as any cigar I've smoked. The next one was green and I couldn't finish it. Aged the rest for 9 months and while they improved, they were nothing like the first I got in a trade package.

bfreebern said:
The VSGs have always been consistent for me.

In my opinion they are the best Ashton has to offer and always have been.  I think you turned me on to them about 7 years ago.

I used to buy them in the belicoso size for my son when he first started out smoking cigars & for my non-cigar smoking friends because they were fairly mild. That blend has a decent amount of flavor to them for such a mild-medium smoke...and I always had good luck with their construction and burn.

You're always bound to get a dud once in a while, especially in the larger formats. Next time you put a cigar in your 'on deck circle box', rotate it after a few weeks so the humidity has a chance to equally balance out. Especially if they were a bit moist to begin with.

As for Johnny's smokes...you either have to chug them while they're fresh (within 2 or 3 months of being rolled) or then wait 2-3-4 years before they get right again. 

Ya'll almost have me ready to go out and buy another VSG stick. Probably would if I didn't already have such a long wish list. I'll grab another at some point and give it a second chance.

IronPeddler, I knew you to smoke J.O.s fresh or age them, but I was thinking months, not years. But that explains why the one I got from another member's vault was so much better than the fresh one's I got from Johnny, that I let sit for just 9 months.

SkyKing said:
Ya'll almost have me ready to go out and buy another VSG stick. Probably would if I didn't already have such a long wish list. I'll grab another at some point and give it a second chance.

IronPeddler, I knew you to smoke J.O.s fresh or age them, but I was thinking months, not years. But that explains why the one I got from another member's vault was so much better than the fresh one's I got from Johnny, that I let sit for just 9 months.

That the way it is with John's cigars Steve....and he readily admits it. The VSGs are great cigars, I just have to smoke them on a full stomach!  :laugh: I still have a few of the original round rolls left somewhere.

ironpeddler said:

That the way it is with John's cigars Steve....and he readily admits it. The VSGs are great cigars, I just have to smoke them on a full stomach!  :laugh: I still have a few of the original round rolls left somewhere.
This VSG Rounds are awesome.

I've had probably two Ashton's with majorconstruction or burn issues as long as I've been smoking them. Depending on the vitola and retailer you can also get fairly good value (VSG Illusion at $9 is well worth it). Some of their line is a bit overpriced though.