• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashton VSG and Mold

bhaney

I was in one of my local Tobacco shops the other day to pick up a few things I can only get there. I happened upon 5 boxes of VSG in one of the Cabinet humidors in the building. There was white mold all over the cigars in all the boxes. Now, my other locals guys carry VSG's and I have never seen any mold on them. This guy tells me oh yeah, that happens all the time, I havent had a box of VSG in here that didn't do that. I think he is full of it and he has a problem in his cabinet. What are your thoughts.

Brandon

First question...... do you know the difference between mold and plume?

Allofus123 said:
First question...... do you know the difference between mold and plume?
[snapback]205824[/snapback]​

Oh yes, I am well aware of the difference. The entire cigar was white. I am not talking little sparklies here, we are talking hairy white mold. Even the guy at the shop said it was mold. Plus, it was growing on the box itself, and plume does not do that.

Brandon

I would say go buy them all up quickly :)

No seriously it does sound like the guy has a problem with his cabinet humidor and is trying to pass it off as a normal thing instead of paying to correct the problem and lost inventory.

Half these stores don't know sh*t. If they only took the time to surf these forums, they might actually sell something. A few weeks ago, i went into a shop that I happened pass and there was this really nice walk-in. I thought I would get some nice cigars. When I went in, BOOM the heat hit me like a tropical island. I looked at this guys hygrometer and it read 100% RH and the temp was over 90 degrees. I turned around to walk out and the guy say's "Is there anything you where looking for?" I said "no, to tell you the truth this humidor is way too hot and the RH is beyond normal. You could probably squeeze water from these cigars." He said that it was perfect RH & Temp. My reply was "Good Luck with the beetle farm!" and I walked out.

I have found that Añejos and other cigars that use deeply aged/ripened wrappers tend to have mold issues more often than other wrappers. I chalked it up to the fact that the wrapper was aged for such a long time, both due to the processing used on maduro wrappers, and simply because they age the wrapper a bit before using it.

I've not found that to be the case with the Ecuadorian wrapper used for VSGs tho.

Exact same thing happened in a cigar store in Tinley Park. Only the mold was light green, I believe.

Whole corner where the Ashtons were.

He needs to throw that humidor out. If there is that much mold in it, the spores are never going to get cleaned out completely without bleach or some other chemicals you would never want around cigars.

And I'll second moki on the aged wrappers being more problematic. Most of the anejo's I've had that came in the cedar sleeves had at least one spot of mold. Same with the really dark HdMs (domestic).

rknicker said:
He needs to throw that humidor out. If there is that much mold in it, the spores are never going to get cleaned out completely without bleach or some other chemicals you would never want around cigars.

And I'll second moki on the aged wrappers being more problematic. Most of the anejo's I've had that came in the cedar sleeves had at least one spot of mold. Same with the really dark HdMs (domestic).
[snapback]206825[/snapback]​

Strange, I also have problems with Anejos having mold on them. The mold brushes off easily and the cigars have all smoked fine. Is this just something you have to deal with with the Anejos? I would hope not.

moki said:
I have found that Añejos and other cigars that use deeply aged/ripened wrappers tend to have mold issues more often than other wrappers.

I've not found that to be the case with the Ecuadorian wrapper used for VSGs tho.
[snapback]205950[/snapback]​

Hmmm, I've never had a mold problem of any kind with Anejo's. I keep my humi around 63-66. I wonder if that may have helped the situation and keeps me from having that problem? Sometimes when I know a purchase is wet I'll let it sit outside the humi for a night or so. What do you think? Seems to help. I find most people store their cigars way too wet anyway.

....must....send.....allofus123.....moki....

Huh.... ....what!!! Hey - you bastid!!! Subliminal advertising... :angry2:

Allofus123 said:
moki said:
I have found that Añejos and other cigars that use deeply aged/ripened wrappers tend to have mold issues more often than other wrappers.

[snapback]205950[/snapback]​

Hmmm, I've never had a mold problem of any kind with Anejo's. I keep my humi around 63-66. I wonder if that may have helped the situation and keeps me from having that problem? Sometimes when I know a purchase is wet I'll let it sit outside the humi for a night or so. What do you think? Seems to help. I find most people store their cigars way too wet anyway.
[snapback]207016[/snapback]​

Allofus123 said:
[snapback]207016[/snapback]​

Seems like you've got a problem with your keyboard... anything I can do to help? :)

I also believe they plume faster. the box of 50's i have(erm ok partial box now)is plumed up nicely and the box of vsg Sorcerer's as well. It only makes sense i guess if they mold faster they would plume up quicker to. To add a bit more ive also seen boxes of partagas 150's that are very old with little or no plume.The Partagas line seems to get a "salty" taste as they age yummy.