• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashtray Stand Restoration

Ralph

Thought I'd share a project of mine from earlier this year.

I had been searching for an ashtray stand for years and came across this piece at an antique shop about a mile from my house. This is definitely built as a cigarette smoker's ashtray but the Art Deco style just spoke to me!

My research says it was made by the Alexander Backer Company (ABCO) in the '40s. Not really a whole lot of information out there on their ashtrays, but ABCO was famous for their decorative figurines and a patent infringement lawsuit about those figurines.

The stand is chromed, cast aluminum, tin and and cast iron, and what looks like marble in the base is actually plastic. There is an ash receptacle on either side and another receptacle which I believe was intended to hold cigarettes vertically. (It currently holds spent cigar bands). The rose colored agate on the top is actually a working cigarette lighter, (like a car lighter) and not really practical for cigars. I put a battery operated LED tea light underneath it for aesthetic purposes and it looks pretty cool at night.

I removed most of the surface rust with naval jelly and sandpaper, but the majority of the work was polishing the aluminum top. The shop owner recommended SIMICHROME from Germany which worked fantastic. The base was so pitted and rusted I sanded as much as I could and ended up painting it with a chrome spray paint. It didn't really show the chrome as the paint advertised, but overall I'm really happy with the result. I use it nearly every time I smoke and it's always a topic of conversation even when sitting unused in the dining room.

Before1.jpg

image2.jpg

Before2.jpg

image3.jpg
image4.jpg
image5.jpg

Very cool! What is the little dome thing in the middle and the other spot across from it?

Very cool! What is the little dome thing in the middle and the other spot across from it?
The pink dome had a corded cigarette lighter underneath it. Since it was not practical for cigars and I would be using the stand outside away from any outlets, I removed it and put a LED tealight under it. The spot across from it would hold cigarettes.

The pink dome had a corded cigarette lighter underneath it. Since it was not practical for cigars and I would be using the stand outside away from any outlets, I removed it and put a LED tealight under it. The spot across from it would hold cigarettes.
Ahh very cool. :)

So, the ash receptacles you refer to, can they just easily be lifted out to empty them? Also, do you know how much the whole thing weighs.. can you easily port it around with just the handle? Lastly, what's max gauge that the rests can accommodate.. would you say?

It's so cool! 👍

So, the ash receptacles you refer to, can they just easily be lifted out to empty them? Also, do you know how much the whole thing weighs.. can you easily port it around with just the handle? Lastly, what's max gauge that the rests can accommodate.. would you say?

It's so cool! 👍
Yes, the ash receptacles can be removed from the platform which makes it a breeze to empty. As far as the rests go, they are definitely geared toward cigarettes and won't hold anything wider than a 40 ring but this pic shows how I handle that. The piece weighs just under 10 lbs., with most of that in the cast iron frame under the base, so it's easy to carry around by the handle.

ashtray.jpeg

Nice to seeing something of that era restored so well, and it's about my age, it just looks better. Hats off brother.