• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

At&t U-Verse TV/Phone/Internet via IP

tkoepp

Lil' RASScal
Your thoughts please...

I am thinking about subscribing to it.

I have had AT&T U-Verse for 2 weeks and no complaints so far. The T.V. side is really good the picture is very crisp and this is on my 10 year old TV. The internet is great also.

A few of my friends have switched from cable to Uverse and all like it. Typical comment is that they have more HD channels and the guide/UI is faster. Keep in mind that some of the markets still can not provide 2 HD streams simultaneously. This means that you can't watch 1 and record 1 at the same time. This does not apply to SD streams. At some point, all markets are suppose to be able to record up to 2 HD and 4(?) SD streams simultaneously (this is the total of the whole house, not per box).

One feature that I am more excited about is the whole home networking. Again, this is not enabled in all areas. This enables a non-DVR box in the bedroom to watch contents that's stored on the DVR box in a living room, for instance. All in all, it's a good alternative to cable or satellite in my opinion.

We switched to AT&T U-Verse a month ago -- and it's been really a great switch from Comcast. The picture quality is better, I have greater selection, and my price actually dropped. Th internet speed is a little slower, but not noticeable for what I do -- I could spend an extra $20 for the additional speed, but I don't need it.

But in all honesty, there have been a few glitches. The Motorola boxes suck -- and my installation guy said they've had many crash shortly after installation. Make sure you are around to monitor the installation and make sure your installer walks you through EVERYTHING -- how the network works, make sure computers connect, the televisions work to your satisfaction, and if you have any wireless peripherals (printers, PDAs, etc....) make sure they work. i have had friends who made the switch whose installers made the hit and run and have had problems. Our installer was great -- and he walked us through everything.

We have had two instances where our boxes froze, and we needed to reset the system. Our internet dropped a few times, but not for any extended period.

I would not hesitate to recommend AT&T -- there customer service has been outstanding, and they've bent over backwards to make sure we've been happy. They've even gone as far to issue a large credit for our problems with one of our three boxes.

And most importantly, I see the long term upside of AT&T over standard cable. In October we will have entire house DVR -- wireless, run off of a central box. And the channel selection continues to improve.

Hope this helps....

Keep the input coming guys, I found out that my area has the Cisco boxes only. More later

The family is thinking really hard about switching from Comcast, but dont know if we should switch to this or DirecTV, all depends on price I suppose and availability.