• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Attention Vinotemp owners

beyond the band

cantankerous newb
The other day I happened to notice the temp in my Vino was 78. After the paramedics finished chest compression's, I picked myself up from the floor and investigated the issue.

The screen on the back was completely clogged with dust.
Cleaned her up and she's now back at 65 65!

Just an FYI

Ya mine gets like that as well. My biggest issue now is that the bottom part of the door on the hinged side has busted so it is kinda just staying in place with the wiring. I have zero stock though so I guess now is the time to fix it lol.

When I had mine, I noticed the temperature panel showed 65, but my hygrometers showed 77, I cracker her open only to find all the expanding foam had melted and the peltier had burnt to a crisp.

Just like everything else brother, spend a little time, do some maintenance and hopefully yours will last longer than mine did!

I had a bad temp board in mine that I ended up replacing after finally being able to get ahold of the guys at vino temp. They did hook me up however and only charged me shipping on a new main board, temp board and peltier unit, because as much testing as I could do we still couldn't nail it down to exactly what was causing my problem.

Of course my assembly/disassembly is likely what caused my hinge problem today...

I tell ya.. I REALLLLLYYYY wish I had a place in the house that would keep a humi below 70F, and not overly humidified. This constant looking, checking for condensation, wondering if your hygrometer is still calibrated enough with active humidity and temp control... sucks. I gotta say, it is almost to the point that its taking some of the pleasure out of the hobby.
I mean my big Vitamin water fridge (which I still have to post of pic of), seems to be doing a good job (especially for $100 I paid for it) but now I notice that the top and bottom can vary WIDELY in humidty, even though the Avallo accumonitor has a canister on top, and one on the bottom.. So now, instead of being able to sit and relax.. I have got to figure out how to rig some PC fans to supplement the air movement.
....... Speaking of which, anyone have easy plans on how to do this? Any idea how this could be done using batteries? What about how to drop 12v down to slow the fans.I am getting sick of my oustfans.. they seem to move too little air, at too fast a pace. I want to move a large volume of air, slowly.

................end of rant.

When I had mine, I noticed the temperature panel showed 65, but my hygrometers showed 77, I cracker her open only to find all the expanding foam had melted and the peltier had burnt to a crisp.

Just like everything else brother, spend a little time, do some maintenance and hopefully yours will last longer than mine did!
Wow man?!?! How long did it last you? What are you using now???

New to the high-country and have been considering a larger wine fridge unit compared to my cooler for a better seal & aging environment. Temp isn't an issue, but keeping a consistent humidity up here compared to back East has been a struggle. Can you offer any advice?

I had it just under 18 months. I've built myself a 120 QT tupperdor for the mean time and I am working on building a cabinet as we speak. I couldn't shell out another $500 for a Vinotemp again.

I mean my big Vitamin water fridge (which I still have to post of pic of), seems to be doing a good job (especially for $100 I paid for it) but now I notice that the top and bottom can vary WIDELY in humidty, even though the Avallo accumonitor has a canister on top, and one on the bottom.. So now, instead of being able to sit and relax.. I have got to figure out how to rig some PC fans to supplement the air movement.
....... Speaking of which, anyone have easy plans on how to do this? Any idea how this could be done using batteries? What about how to drop 12v down to slow the fans.I am getting sick of my oustfans.. they seem to move too little air, at too fast a pace. I want to move a large volume of air, slowly.
slevy - I too have noticed differences in the top and bottom of my coolidor, even with 2 PC fans running ( top & bottom each facing different direction). In my situation can only guess that since coolidor sits on cool concrete floor and humidity drops to bottom (like cool air) it's always a little "wet" at the bottom.

To run PC fans, I just used the power converter from an old computer router matching the voltage stated on the fan with the converter. Salvaged all my fans from some old Macs, but different size fans and power converters can be bought cheap.

I had it just under 18 months. I've built myself a 120 QT tupperdor for the mean time and I am working on building a cabinet as we speak. I couldn't shell out another $500 for a Vinotemp again.
Thanks for the heads-up man. Was considering going all out with a Vinotemp and custom drawers. Will now look for a local cabinet maker that needs some work.
[cheers]

I had custom drawers made and everything, it was a gorgeous set up, had up too 3 at one time. Then I went down to just a single, and then again to 2. Both died within days of each other!

I had custom drawers made and everything, it was a gorgeous set up, had up too 3 at one time. Then I went down to just a single, and then again to 2. Both died within days of each other!
My sincerest of condolences bro. That sucks!!! Best of luck with your new cabinet. Will now be looking to do the same.
Thank you.

Yeah, but the power converters are so ugly and bulky... also, a full 12v runs a pc too fast IMO for humi uses... you want to move air somewhat slowly compared to full 12v.. maybe 8 or 9, and also on a timer... but idk

Steve

slevy - I too have noticed differences in the top and bottom of my coolidor, even with 2 PC fans running ( top & bottom each facing different direction). In my situation can only guess that since coolidor sits on cool concrete floor and humidity drops to bottom (like cool air) it's always a little "wet" at the bottom.

To run PC fans, I just used the power converter from an old computer router matching the voltage stated on the fan with the converter. Salvaged all my fans from some old Macs, but different size fans and power converters can be bought cheap.

Thanks for the heads-up man. Was considering going all out with a Vinotemp and custom drawers. Will now look for a local cabinet maker that needs some work.
[cheers]

I haven't plugged mine in for about a year now. Unplugged, the sucker keeps humidity at a constant 68%. No more swings every time the fan kicks on. During the winter, I move it out to the workshop and the temp stays below 60F and in the summer I move it inside where the temp stays around 72F. Couldn't be happier with the setup.

yeah, i wish i could find an area in my house like this regularly and that could fit the fridge Sam. You are lucky. This thing is a huge deli vitamin water fridge, btw.

PS. when are you coming back to nyc?

yeah, i wish i could find an area in my house like this regularly and that could fit the fridge Sam. You are lucky. This thing is a huge deli vitamin water fridge, btw.

PS. when are you coming back to nyc?

No idea, Steve. Haven't been traveling much with the new job. You all should just come down here to Tucson in the winter for some golf, bbq, and cigars. No need for coats.

I'm like strayvector.
I don't even plug it in anymore.
It stays between 65/65 and 70/68 all year long.
Beads rule!

Chemyst :cool: