• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ATTN: Computer Geeks

lucasbuck

Sheriff Buck
Reaction score
I've got a pc that has a specialized OS for a specific application that I no longer use. I want to reformat the hard drive and install Windows XP. I checked around the net and got some good info but you all have been very helpful in the past so I thought I'd get opinions on the best way to do this. I am pretty much computer illiterate so please be specific. TIA ;)

Boot up with the Windows XP disk. Go through the steps to install and you should get an option to format the HD if I remember right. Someone else may be able to give more detailed instructions...

mrjinglesusa said:
Boot up with the Windows XP disk.
[snapback]194517[/snapback]​

It won't boot directly from the disc. Do I need to F8 into safe mode or something like that?

I've installed my Win XP so many times I've memorized the CD-key :whistling: But if you can't get it done like mrjingles suggested, you could try using an old Windows bootdisk (a floppydisk) to get the command prompt visible. Then use the fdisk program on the disk. It might even have format.exe on it? ??? You can check this site:

BootDisk.com

lucasbuck said:
mrjinglesusa said:
Boot up with the Windows XP disk.
[snapback]194517[/snapback]​

It won't boot directly from the disc. Do I need to F8 into safe mode or something like that?
[snapback]194534[/snapback]​

you may need to go into the BIOS to set the boot order.

evey bios is different, so I can't get much more specific than that

what lumb said, you have to enable boot from cd in your bios settings and let the puter reboot with the xp disk in the drive and let it take it from there.

a couple of questions:
1) hold old is this machine?
2) how large is the disk?
3) what other windows systems do you have around?

I can send you a bootable cd of MAD disk, but it sounds like your bios
doesn't support booting from CD.

If it doesn't, it probably won't play XP to well either

Machine is about 4 years old. It's a P4 1.6mhz. It has a 20GB hd and the only other pc I have runs on XP pro.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think if I can figure out how to change the bios to boot from the cd I should be good to go.