• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Austin, TX

Newfie

Official Lancero Whore
I have to be in Austin April 14th - 16th for a conference, and circumstances allow me to bring along my wife for a mini-vacation (and quality time away from work, friends, dogs, yadda yadda), almost all on the company I work for.

We're flying into Austin on the 12th, and as of right now, the plan is to drive to San Antonio and spend Saturday night on the River Walk, driving back to Austin Sunday afternoon.

What's to see and do downtown Austin? We're staying at the Omni, so is there a place close to sit & relax with a cigar, and is there a place to get a decent Espresso?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Well if your wife doesn't mind there is an absolutely stunning cigar shop in Austin (http://www.heroesandlegacies.com/index.shtml). Just be sure to give your wallet a pep talk first so it doesn't choke under the pressure! :D Also, if you don't eat at Freebirds while you are in Austin, it's rumored that gremlins will eat you in your sleep.

You should visit the Halcyon Coffeehouse. You should be able to walk to it, since you are in downtown. They sell coffee, beer, and cigars. Basically, you can stay there all day. If I remember correctly, the coffee is pretty good. The cigar selection is not so great. I think you can smoke indoors in their cigar area, but it is a really tiny area.

It's a nice place to relax, just bring your own cigars.

Well if your wife doesn't mind there is an absolutely stunning cigar shop in Austin (http://www.heroesandlegacies.com/index.shtml)....snip

COOL, that place is in a big mall called the The Arboretum. I can take her there for a while and let her loose in the mall for 2 hours!!!

Iiiiiiii think maybe I should wait to check that from my home computer!!! :sign:

You should visit the Halcyon Coffeehouse. You should be able to walk to it, since you are in downtown. They sell coffee, beer, and cigars. Basically, you can stay there all day. If I remember correctly, the coffee is pretty good. The cigar selection is not so great. I think you can smoke indoors in their cigar area, but it is a really tiny area.

It's a nice place to relax, just bring your own cigars.

Google shows only 8 blocks. Well within walking distance. Thanks!!

Heroes and legacies is a sick shop. I did the EXACT same thing your doing for my spring break. Started in austin, spent the night on the riverwalk, went back to austin. Your wallet is going to need more than a peptalk, i dropped about $600 on less than a box of smokes, but nice and HTF smokes. There is also a cheesecake factory in the same stripcenter, a nice place to eat IMO.

Don't waste time with a cigar shop in san antonio, you won't need to if you hit up H&R. :D

Have Fun :laugh:

I don't plan on buying many down there Jake. I will take a few with me, but if I smoke in a B&M, I believe in buying at least a couple there. I see from their site they have "decent" prices on boxes of Anejos. How that relates to singles, I don't know, but I may pick up a couple of 5ers or something like that is the prices are OK.

And when you see the opus lanceros, D'Chateau's, Full stock of hemingway maddies, and BBMF's/ BTL's (If they got them in)...I just want to see you walk out with a couple....be sure to report on how it goes.

It's like the walmart of cigars, you go in for a coke and walk out with a months supply of groceries and then some.

I don't plan on buying many down there Jake.
That's what I said, Good Luck...Seriously. :rolleyes:

I don't plan on buying many down there Jake. I will take a few with me, but if I smoke in a B&M, I believe in buying at least a couple there. I see from their site they have "decent" prices on boxes of Anejos. How that relates to singles, I don't know, but I may pick up a couple of 5ers or something like that is the prices are OK.

Umm, i wouldn't plan on smoking at H&L unless you are willing to pay their $25 daily membership fee. :angry:

Umm, i wouldn't plan on smoking at H&L unless you are willing to pay their $25 daily membership fee. :angry:

They've let me smoke in the lounge before just because I spent so much :D

Exactly... :blush:

Exactly... :blush:

Think a Monte #2 or a Cohiba Maduro stuffed into someone's shirt pocket would nullify the "Daily Fee"?? :whistling:

First off, if you're going to be in Austin at night for any of your trip, you're almost obligated to experience the magnificence that is 6th street and the immediate surrounding area. At night, downtown Austin is seriously one of the most fun areas you can possibly imagine.

Heroes and Legacies is a must. It's just not fair the selection they have. Even the most frugal will have a hard time not dropping a few Benjamin's per visit.

UT's campus has an art museum and across the street from campus is a History of Texas museum.

The best BBQ I've ever had is at The Salt Lick. It's all you can eat, and in fact quite pricy, but it's to die for. Guero's is my favorite Tex-Mex place. Great atmosphere and great drinks!

Now for a nice date, I'd say the best place hands down is Romeo's. I took my girlfriend here for our 1 year anniversary and it was the best Italian either of us had had pleasure of tasting. It's Austin's #1 most romantic restaurant this year by a few different rankings, so it's worth a look!

I'd also check out the live music venues online to see if any of your favorites are going to be in town. If not I'd check out some of the local action.

I've got to run, but I'll probably think of some other things later.

6th Street, H&L, and the eateries mentioned above are a must. You will be in Austin at a great time of the year. I believe fellow BOTL Mr.Mac works part time at H&L and can easily be persuaded to get you into the lounge. See if you can catch a sunset drink or dinner at the lake on a patio or at least somewhere you can see the sun set on the hill country view. If you are into nature stuff, check out the evening exit of the bats! Yes I did say BATS! It's very cool. Be prepared for varied weather, cause that tiem of year can be in the 50s in the morning, 80s by noon, thunderstorm/rain by 2pm, 70 by 6pm and 45 by 10pm.

The bats are cool, my family always makes a point to check 'em out when they're down here.

Austin isn't so much about the various "things to do" like a normal city, it's just the entire environment in general. The hustle and bustle combined with intersting hole-in-the-wall type places right and left really do "Keep Austin Weird." I've only lived here a small part of my life, but I am pretty certain when I graduate from UT I'll stick around.

It was a balmy 85 and humid yesterday, but it could be 40 tonight, so you never know.

On another note, I think I'm going to head out to H&L to pick up a few smokes for tonight. :D