• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

AVO LE 08 - Tesoro

Jack Straw

First off, I would like to thank Gonz and PuffStuff for putting together the group buy, and great deal on these smokes!!

The first thing you notice with this smoke is the unique packaging
DSCF2251.jpg

DSCF2252.jpg

Sort of looks like a large package of cigarettes. And when you pop the top, you're greeted by 20 cigars standing on their heads!

Smoke is a 5 3/4" x 50 toro with an LE 08 sticker on the cello,
DSCF2253.jpg

and is banded on the foot.
DSCF2254.jpg

The wrapper was very smooth, lightly veined, and caramel in color. The cigar is very firmly constructed with little give when exerting mild pressure on it between the fingers.
DSCF2255.jpg

Pre-light - This was a very easy drawing cigar with a slight tobacco sweetness, with many hints of things to come!

Upon initial lighting, the LE 08 produced volumes of thick blue-grey smoke, and my first impression was that it was the typical AVO flavor profile on the sides of the tongue and back of the throat, but with a bit more spice. The first few inches of this cigar produced a firm black-grey ash, and the wrapper delivers an extremely pleasant sweetness to the lips and tongue. The initial spice gives way to a rich, sweet, creamy almost chewy mouthful of smoke, similar to other of the AVO lines of smokes, but with a nice spice. At first, it put me in mind of the recently releasesed AVO 787 line, but with a more intense concentration of flavors, and that great background spiciness.

DSCF2261.jpg

The AVO LE 08 is superbly constructed. It maintained a razor sharp burn throughout the entire smoke with a very solid ash, that initially broke at about 2", and had an effortless draw.

The second 3rd of the cigar, the flavors kept increasing, and the amount of spice did as well, but still remained in the background. The volume of smoke is amazing, easily 3-4 smoke rings per puff! As the oils collected at the end of this wonderful cigar, I began to wonder if it had been "artificially" sweetened, as it was so sweet, it was hard to resist chewing it.
DSCF2262.jpg

The last 3rd - the spice picks up a bit, not a great deal, just enough on the back of the tongue to keep your interest, and the leathery sweetness that's been present throughout keeps intensifying.

At first I thought this was a great medium-bodied cigar, but my wife just asked me to let the dogs out, and when I got up, I realized how pleasantly "buzzed" by nicotine I am!
DSCF2263.jpg

Fans of the AVO profile, like myself, will find this to be an outstanding smoke, and I would recommend picking up as many as your budget allows, smoking one now, and if you have the patience, come back to it in 3 or 4 months, as these will, no doubt, improve and benefit from some down time.

For the occasional smoker, you may want to take on the LE 08 after a meal, as it is "sneaky" strong, but paired well for me with a cup of strong morning coffee. A "finger burner", IMHO!

DSCF2265.jpg

Thanks for sharing the experience Jack. I've always been curious to how these were. If the AVO's were priced abit less, I can definitely see myself smoking more of this line. Love that packaging job too. Comes in handy when it's time to play tetris. :)

Thanks for the great review!

Now I can hardly wait for mine to get here!

Great review!

I'm really looking forward to trying these...in a few months. I'm not typically an AVO smoker but I've really enjoyed the LE05 and LE07. And you're right, that is some funky packaging: celloed, head-down, cigarette-pack. Wow. Thanks to Andy and Al for bringing the deal. You guys ROCK!

Wilkey

Excellent review and pics...

I am an AVO fan, not all vitola's mind you (not crazy about the 80th)...I guess I must test one of these.

Brian

That's a great review and pictures, thanks! My son starts soccer tonight, perhaps I now know what I'll bring to enjoy while he plays!

Excellent review and pics...

I am an AVO fan, not all vitola's mind you (not crazy about the 80th)...I guess I must test one of these.

Brian

Yeah. What up with those? I hope they get better with age.

Stellar review man, just what I had been waiting to hear. Thanks!

I have been starying down some Avo's but haven't bite yet, now I might not have a choice. Thanks for the great review!!

Great review, I haven't tried one, but I do love the 787s and 80ths.

Ken

Just want to say a bought a fiver of these from a BOTL here at CP and smoked my first one Friday night. Man what a nice smoke! I enjoyed it very much. Good stuff.

I've got one of these in the humi (thank you Handyman Dave). I'm really anxious to give it a try now. Trying to let it rest for as long as I can. Thanks for the fantastic review Jay!

Great review! I've smoked one of these each morning for the last three days. AVO gave me one of these last year at his party at the shop. He was really excited about it being released. He liked it more than the 80th and '07.

Had the pleasure of indulging myself with one of these yesterday. Thanks JohnnySR !!!!

Not knowing what to expect was part of the fun. I read this review AFTER I put this one down :blush: In any case, what an amazing cigar ! Great feel to it, smooth as silk and the smoke could de described as the same ... SO smooth without any hint of bite from begining to end. I usually prefer the smaller rings but this 50/52 has convinced me otherwise. The volume of smoke produced allows for great review of flavor.

Now . . . I have to come up with more of them. A real treat..

Had the pleasure of indulging myself with one of these yesterday. Thanks JohnnySR !!!!

Not knowing what to expect was part of the fun. I read this review AFTER I put this one down :blush: In any case, what an amazing cigar ! Great feel to it, smooth as silk and the smoke could de described as the same ... SO smooth without any hint of bite from begining to end. I usually prefer the smaller rings but this 50/52 has convinced me otherwise. The volume of smoke produced allows for great review of flavor.

I suspect there are still boxes of these available for purchase if you look hard enough.

Edit to add

Didn't have to look that hard after all

My link

Thanks for the link ! Hadn't gotten to do the searching yet so, you saved me the effort :D and I appreciate that.

I suspect there are still boxes of these available for purchase if you look hard enough.

Edit to add

Didn't have to look that hard after all

My link