• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

B&M Etiquette

DraXxus1549

So there other day I was at a cigar shop in my local mall. I was looking around at all the cigars and things they had. I picked up an Arturo Fuente, gran reserva I believe. This particular cigar came in a metal tube. I wanted to see what it looked like and maybe take a quick sniff. I slid the top half off of the cigar and was looking at it. Then the lady at the counter asked me rather rudely to please not take the cigars out of their tubes. I said I was sorry and put it back. The thing is I have done this before at other shops, specifically my go to shop, I have never been spoken to about this before. I was wondering if there is some unwritten rule about this or if it was maybe just that particular shop that frowns upon it. Maybe they are stricter because they are in the mall and have a bunch of kids coming in and touching things.

If there are any other rules that I am unaware of please let me know, I don't want to be getting yelled at when I visit different shops.

Most of the shops that I frequent don't mind the regulars handling the cigars, but may ask if you need any help if they don't know you.

I think it is a matter of trust, knowing that YOU know what you're doing, so that they don't end up with a bunch of cracked smokes. After getting to know you as a customer, I think most business folks will relax a bit when it comes to handling their inventory.

If the tubos are out in the open, I would not hesitate to open one up for inspection. As long as it's not sealed.

In most cases I try to ask an employee if I may do so.

Most of the shops that I frequent don't mind the regulars handling the cigars, but may ask if you need any help if they don't know you.

I think it is a matter of trust, knowing that YOU know what you're doing, so that they don't end up with a bunch of cracked smokes. After getting to know you as a customer, I think most business folks will relax a bit when it comes to handling their inventory.

That probably explains my situation then, at my regular place I've made a few friends but the place in the mall is new. I haven't bought anything from them because I don't trust their storage. Thats not really relevant though haha.

I agree with Jack Straw! The first couple times I went into my local B&M they didn't let me touch the inventory, but now that I have been there a couple more times (and considered a regular) I have full run of the humi unsupervised. I have noticed that this is pretty much true for all of the shops that I have purchased from. The first time the person behind the counter will help you, the second time or later they will let you go on your own, since they know that you aren't there to crack sticks, or just pretend like you are interested in something.

I'm sure a mall shop gets a lot of browsers and people that don't know what they're doing. So I'm sure it's their default message is to not handle the smokes.

I'll always open tubes and take a look at 'em, though.

-John

Thats too bad you had a bad experience in that B&M. I dont think theres any particular etiquette about this. Ive done this several times before without a problem. I dont think its a big deal as long as the tube is not sealed. B&M owners understand that cigars smokers want to get a feel for what they're buying.

As others mentioned, it also depends on whoever is staffing the shop at the time and how well you know them. Once you'e been there a few times and they establish trust you, they're not as leary about letting you handle the merchandise. I wouldnt sweat it.

Thats too bad you had a bad experience in that B&M. I dont think theres any particular etiquette about this. Ive done this several times before without a problem. I dont think its a big deal as long as the tube is not sealed. B&M owners understand that cigars smokers want to get a feel for what they're buying.

As others mentioned, it also depends on whoever is staffing the shop at the time and how well you know them. Once you'e been there a few times and they establish trust you, they're not as leary about letting you handle the merchandise. I wouldnt sweat it.

It's no big deal there are 3 other shops within 30 minutes of me which I have great experiences at each time I have been there. 3 for 4 isn't bad haha.

I, for one, try to keep my hands in my pockets in a humidor until I've chosen a stick I know I'm going to buy. Due to my job, my hands are usually on the grubby side, and while we all know a cigar gets handled dozens if not hundreds of times before it gets to the shelf, you don't want my grubby mitts to be the last ones on the thing you're about to stick in your mouth.

I, for one, try to keep my hands in my pockets in a humidor until I've chosen a stick I know I'm going to buy. Due to my job, my hands are usually on the grubby side, and while we all know a cigar gets handled dozens if not hundreds of times before it gets to the shelf, you don't want my grubby mitts to be the last ones on the thing you're about to stick in your mouth.

What truly bothers me, is watching someone pull out a stick, shove it up to his nose, smell it a couple of times, an then toss it back in the box.

Maybe it's just me, but thoughts of the flu, or even the common cold run through my mind whenever I see this.

The shop I, generally, frequent, posts a sign that says, "Smell it, and you buy it", for that very reason.

Only since the H1N1 issue came about, the B&M here put up a sign or two asking customers not to handle cigars until they're ready to buy. The majority of customers abide by that, and I've never heard the staff asking people not to touch. The manager even commented right after they put the sign up that it was just a precaution.

As you said part of the problem with being in a mall is that you have a lot of younger people coming in because they think it's cool to be in the store and they rummage around in the cigars without any intention of buying. They bust up the non celloed cigars and crinkle up the cello on other cigars as they try to smell them. They also tend to open up sealed items - Macanudo Crystals, little cigars, shisha etc. Basically once any of this happens it makes it allot harder to sell these items if you can sell them at all.

I don't have any written or unwritten rules about handling the merchandise unless I have had a problem with a customer in the past. I have one guy who comes in drunk, heavy black mascara around his eyes dressed in a Kilt wearing knee high patent leather boots - he destroys cigars when he is trying to pick one out so if I see him coming I try to have someone wait on him to reduce the damage.

It's very easy to shave the wrapper right off the cigar when placing it back in the tube. I've sat there watching several college age kids doing this in my local.

As several had said, the person in charge just most likely did not know your experience level. I'm sure it's easy to get your back up feeling like a scolded child, but you have to realize they're looking at their bottom line as a business owner.

I did as they ask I did make a scene or anything like that, I just thought it was a little strange as I have done this before but not at this particular place, now I know haha.

Being a shameless loiterer at my local shop(and sometimes helping customers in the humidor) I've come to the conclusion, personally, that it's best to avoid too much handling until you've decided on a cigar. It's one thing to inspect a few cigars out of a box for the one you want to take, it's another to run your hands over everything, ya know?

Being a shameless loiterer at my local shop(and sometimes helping customers in the humidor) I've come to the conclusion, personally, that it's best to avoid too much handling until you've decided on a cigar. It's one thing to inspect a few cigars out of a box for the one you want to take, it's another to run your hands over everything, ya know?

Yeah, but as a guy isnit that the point??? Fondle everything in sight until you find what you want???lol

I would have to agree with you on your point though, test a couple sticks to find the one you want (after you have maid your decision on the stick you ARE going to purchase), but don't go through the humidor and touch everything especially if you have no intention of buying said sticks.