• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Back pain: What works best?

What works best for you for back pain?

• Having kids in the family walk on your back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lying on your back on a fitball

• Seeing a chiropractor

• Having the wife pop your back

• Drinking yourself into oblivion

• Writing cranky letters to the editor when in pain

• Total voters

SFG75

Master-passer
Two years ago, I was shoveling snow outside and threw out my back. The sad thing? There was only a dusting of snow and I was pushing the shovel with one hand. When I extended my arm on one particular turn, I went down faster than Mike Tyson. :p I went to see a chriropractor but I now can't turn my head completely to one side or another without pain. I'm pushing 30 and I hate to think about the next 30 years if this stuff keeps up. What do you guys do for back-pain? What works the best for you? Do you use a combination of things or do you have something else that I don't have listed in the poll that would work?

Sounds liek a pinched nerve to me. I do (teach) Tai Chi and practice massage / accu-pressure to alleviate symptoms, stretch and work ligamants and tendons as well as slowly re-build flexibility in the muscle and joint groups. We have a student in our class who had a stroke 6 months before joining and now (2 yrs later) she has gone from a cane to being able to balance on 1 foot again. An extreme case, I admit, but an idea of what can be done methodically over time.

I suggest the Encyclopedia of Dim Mak by Montaigue and Simpson as a great reference for major nerve lines and affected function and treatments.

Scotch works for me, if it doesn't I switch to bourbon. :thumbs:

Percocets, hydrocodone, burbon, scotch, or any combination :thumbs:

I have had a bit of chronic back pain over the last few years (those years working in the lumber yard as a college student add up apparently, who knew?) and I've gone to a few sport medicine guys.

When I'm having an episode of sharp pain, I've found the best thing is some sort muscle relaxant -- meds work, but the best thing I've found is accupuncture. It seems to relax the tension in the muscle that's holding the back in a way that's painful. The relief is almost instant.

Once you've recouped, the best to prevent back pain has been routine stretching of the back (find 4 or 5 unique stretches) maybe 2-3 times a week. The other thing I've found is helpful is a some weightlifting. I find when I wrench my back, its most often after a substantial layoff from the weights. Doesn't have to be mass-building-shrink-your-gonads type lifting, and it doesn't have to be just focused on the back. It just seems to keep the back more limber and the muscles better able to handle the routine odd strain.

Mojo

Did you herniate a disk or do you have a bulging disk? Degeneration in the spine? (which everyone goes through - some sooner than others.)

Chronic pain can be indicative of genuine problems. Not necessarily is, but can be. And they may be problems a sub-par chiropractor wouldn't look for.

I lived with pain for years in lower back and legs (and had suspicions about a herniation.) After my fourth trip to the emergency room during which my wife had to practically carry me indoors and many, many months unable to perform any physical activity, I finally convinced my medical system to check me out properly. An MRI revealed two herniations including an l4/l5 and L5/S1 tear with the ejecta impacting the sciatic nerve (and others) and compressing the thecal sac. 3 epidurals later and I was moving around properly. Now, 6 months later, I'm heading back soon - postponing it because of flight status issues - to see what we can do on a more permanent basis.

Moral? Get checked out properly ASAP when you have back pain (especially chronic pain) as it could save you in the long run.

Thanks for the advice Treamayne, I'll definitely be checking into that book through inter-library loan at the school that I teach at. We have a workout place that is just excellent. I've done pilates and yoga to try and help things out, thinking that stronger abs would remedy it. I have quite the collection on meditation and Buddhist theology to say the least. I'm not opposed to drinking one's self into oblivion at all, though I find it very amusing that it's the #1 choice of members who've voted thus far. :D

I totally hear you Muley-When the pop-doc grabbed my neck, I just kept thinking: "What if there is an underlying problem that he just doesn't know about tha could paralyze me?" Oh well, that's what lawyers are for right? :) :p