• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Background Checks

nubu

Hey guys,

I have been lurking and learning for quite a while now but just recently joined the forum. I've really enjoyed spending time here at CP. By way of introduction, I started smoking cigars in college and have been smoking for about 25 yrs. I only smoke about 2-3 boxes per year so a large 120 qt cooler has proven sufficent for box storage and aging so far. I enjoy a diverse array of smokes but my current favorite NCs are DPG Blue, Opus X Petit Lancero, PAN64 and AF Best Seller. I've enjoyed various CCs over the years including the usual suspects: Monte 3&4, CoRO, Epi 2, ERDM CS, Mag46, etc. The CCs have all been via gift or smoked while traveling overseas. But I'd really like to broaden my horizons.... :whistling:

So while looking to take the plunge I had a question about the "letter". Have any of you that have received the "letter" ever subsequently gone through a background check to get a new job? I'm interested in any issues that may have come up as a result. I know with some offenses, like traffic tickets, etc. as long as you disclose it on the job application, the employer won't care. Is the "letter" a deal killer for future hiring? If any forum members are HR folks, I'd really be interested in your opinion. I searched and couldn't find this topic being previously covered so I apologize in advance if its a duplicate thread. Thanks and happy smoking!

What would the employment question be to illicit a response?

The jist of my question is: does the "letter" show up on the criminal background check that a potential employer would run?
Well, if its not a job requiring a clearance, then I cannot see the potential employeer holding it against you for stating it. I mean if they hire you knowing you have speeding tickets or a.DUI, what's a box of ISOMs?

No intro, no profile, first post in the Cuban forum. Batting 1.000

As far as the job, what are you looking to do? Fold shirts at the Gap? You should be OK. Looking to become Secret Service? In that case, you're probably screwed. Something in between? Well, then, I suspect your answer lies somewhere in between, as well. Looks like LAWDOGGG has you covered, so you should be all set. Good luck!

No intro, no profile, first post in the Cuban forum. Batting 1.000

As far as the job, what are you looking to do? Fold shirts at the Gap? You should be OK. Looking to become Secret Service? In that case, you're probably screwed. Something in between? Well, then, I suspect your answer lies somewhere in between, as well. Looks like LAWDOGGG has you covered, so you should be all set. Good luck!
Damn, your kung fu is very strong.

Roy is just trying to get you for update your signature, T36. :laugh:

I'm interested in what Lawdog had to say ... would you mind PMing me as well? Please and thank you.

What the hell is "the letter"? A notice from US Customs that you've officialy fsckced up and are on their list?