• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Backwards Day

MarkJr

willing participant in this game we play
So I feel like I have to share this story. I think we can all relate to this. We all go to the store and take a chance on a smoke we have never tried before. We pick up the stick examine the wrapper, take a whiff and if all the data compiled matches up we lay down the cash for the experience, all in the efforts to acquire a smoke that we can afford comfortably (an everyday smoke). Many of the times I find myself in this situation I say "Ah, its OK" and continue my search.

Well recently I received a few cigars from my brother. While on vacation he picked me up a few sticks that he hasn't seen in my humidor. So last night I grabbed one and some Balvennie Double Wood and headed to the back deck. The stick happened to be a Gran Habano Corojo #5 Gran Robusto. It had a beautiful reddish brown wrapper, with few veins. It also had a robust aroma and tremendous weight. I don't have the advanced palate of a writer for Cigar Aficianado, but it had the full bodied taste that I have grown to love. So being that it was the first time that I had smoked it and I didn't buy it, I ran inside and went on Atlanticcigar.com to price out this smoke. Much to my delight I found that they are sold for as little as $70 a box.

So I was pleasantly surprised that I have now found a new everyday smoke, in backwards fashion. Needless to say I called my brother and expressed my thanks for his inadvertant actions.

Glad you liked them. I loved my first one too. How'd the wrapper burn for you? I could never get it to burn grey. It stayed black the whole time and kind of detracted from the experience. Tasted damn good though.

Allen

My "everyday" smoke tends to be a Flor de Oliva Maduro Robusto. I can't believe that the retail for around $2.00. If you catch it right sometimes I've found them on close out through Famous for even cheaper.

::Edit for spelling::

:thumbs: I too use this for an everyday smoke. I stumbled upon it through the randoms from the TX Cigar Festival and haven't looked back.

The #5 is one of my "everyday" favorites too, and it was a random smoke that was rec'd by a local B&M. It was really a pleasant surprise. I have one of their Connecticut #1s for a night when I want to try something mild.

Gran Habano makes solid sticks at a great price point, however, seeing as I am a padron whore the 3000 maduro is my everyday smoke.

Glad you liked them. I loved my first one too. How'd the wrapper burn for you? I could never get it to burn grey. It stayed black the whole time and kind of detracted from the experience. Tasted damn good though.

Allen

I had no issues with the burn. I thought it was a good experience all together.

Gran Habano makes solid sticks at a great price point, however, seeing as I am a padron whore the 3000 maduro is my everyday smoke.

Great smoke too!

I bought a box of the Gran Habano Cabinet Selection, and they are pretty good. I use them for an everyday smoke, or on the golf course. I also smoke Padron Londres for an everyday/golf course smoke.

I will have to give the Flor de Oliva when I get ready to get my next box of everyday smokes.