• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bad Burn? Bad Cigar? Padilla Miami Robusto.

KChiefsfan

Reaction score
gallery_13101_1498_311064.jpg
Hopefully I can get the images in here ok, but the other day I witnessed something I had never seen nor heard about. When I began smoking a Padilla Miami Robusto, I almost immediately noticed that the cigar seemed different from the ones I had before. The taste seemed different, the cigar was a little soft, and the ash was actually a dull brownish color. It is hard to see the color in the pictures. While I was smoking it, I noticed that there were two small black dots on the side of the cigar. When I touched them, they were extremely hot. I took one more drag and the black dots started to glow, so I went to get my phone as quick as I could and by the time I snapped the picture, this is what happened. These sticks have been resting for about a month, my humidor is kept at 70% and 72-74 degrees, these sticks were kept in the cellophane, and I have never had any problems with any other smokes. Because the cigar seemed different, I put it out and lost out on a $7 smoke. Has anyone ever seen this before, or know what would have caused this?

That's an extreme case of tunneling, where the filler of the cigar burns faster than the wrapper. Happens now and again with a hand-rolled piece of art we smoke. Sounds like it was under filled.

In my short time paying attention to the world of cigars, I've not seen another brand fall so hard so fast. What Padillas used to be compared to what they are now is like night and day. It's too bad.

In my short time paying attention to the world of cigars, I've not seen another brand fall so hard so fast. What Padillas used to be compared to what they are now is like night and day. It's too bad.

+1

My very first Padilla was a OR Achilies, great smoke, amazing smoke....
Follow that up with a helping of Hybrids and 1932's.....

Those cigars made my first months smoking very remarkable.

Tim

He's releasing some pretty good sticks right now. I think he's on his way back up...let's just hope he stays there.

This is not something Ernesto really has a hell of a lot of control over. The folks who make these cigars, imo, are notorious for rolling straws; and they do it across several brands.
Greatest tobacco going, but crap for QA and skill.....unless they are intentionally underfilling to get more Cigar orders met.
Would be interesting to know if they weigh cigars during production.

How many complaints/rejections do you think they'll take before they cut Ernesto off? I don't know how the cigar industry works, but that is not outside the realm of possibility.
Ernesto has a great palate, and he helped produce some of my all time favorite smokes while he was with Pepin. Right before Pepin stabbed him in the back, the quality of all Pepin rolled brands went to hell.
I have often wondered if that helped initiate the breakup.

He's releasing some pretty good sticks right now. I think he's on his way back up...let's just hope he stays there.

I'm digging the Cazadores and those other sticks you sent me bud. I still need to write the review for them. :thumbs:

+1
Tim

I am with you guys on this one. I have one Padilla left in my stock and it may sit there forever because the recent ones that I have had were really really bad.

+1
Tim

I am with you guys on this one. I have one Padilla left in my stock and it may sit there forever because the recent ones that I have had were really really bad.

I am glad to hear (not really) that I am not the only one. Ever since I have discovered the Padilla Miami it has become one of my favorite smokes. Unfortunately, I too am hesitant anymore to light one up because I do not know if it will be a good one or not. I have not had any more tunneling issues like this one, but I have had off tastes, bad burns, and bad draws. The ones that have been good are awesome, no doubt about it. I am also interested in trying the Padilla 1932 Robusto and the Padilla 1968 Robusto. Any feedback on these sticks? Same quality issues with these?

I had a Padilla Miami the other day that tunneled like crazy. It's like I couldn't keep the wrapper lit at all. The light-up draws tasted amazing, though. Wish the whole cigar would have held up.

Bad cigar, friend. Underfilled, poorly rolled, etc. Happens occasionally....

Sorry - B.B.S.

I hope this is true, Isy. I really do. The old Miami, 1932 and even the '68s were great smokes.

Since you mentioned the other sticks burn just fine, I'd say that cigar was just rolled on a friday after noon just before quitting time.
laugh.gif

That picture reminded me of another one of Ernesto's labels he used to put out, the Padilla Obsidian, they used to have terrible burn lines on them but I did manage to go through 2 bundles before my tastes changed. It was one of those cigars that when that chunk of leaf burned off, it would ruin whatever shirt you were wearing.