• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bad Cigars?

Wascal

Captive of the Dark Side
Was just curious if this has happened to anyone else. I've been at home for the last three weeks do to a injury and decided to break into my box of saved cigars. You know the ones, you put them away because you only have one. This friend gave you one because he knew you haven't tried one. Someone bombed you with a couple rare sticks. We all have them, most of us anyway. :p The rest of you smoked them when you got them.

I decided I was going to smoke one a day while I was off. Something to give a bit of pleasure to not so good time. Now I normally smoke 3 to 4 cigars a day. I don't smoke in the house due to my wife's asthma, so it's usually at work were I smoke. But to the point, I set aside a hour or so each day in the evening to sit on the porch and smoke one of these "saved" cigars.

I've been very disappointed. With an exception or 2 most have been just average smokes. That brought me to the question of have I burnt out my taste buds.? Just smoke too much? Perhaps expected too much from these "saved" cigars. Maybe smoked too many Cubans to where domestic cigars just don't do it for me anymore?

So the question is anyone else have this problem?

PS The taste problem got better today, had a "98 Trini, it was all that and a bag of chips. :0

I know what you mean Mike ;) and I think you hit on the answer, some of us :0 have smoked too many Havanas and when you've made that transition to the "dark side", domestics just don't do it anymore :(

I have noticed that I feel just about exactly the way you do. I too have that "special" box with PAM's, DC Maximus, Opus, etc. and when I reach for one of those every once in a great while, it seems they used to taste better in an earlier life or life before the dark side :p

Do you guy's smoke with your pinky up?? :p I only smoke 2 -3 a week so I guess I can't say I have had the same problem But when I do smoke I like to drink a full glass of Ice water before I smoke and slosh it all around my mouth, ya know, the whole cleanse the pallet thing. But what the hell do I know :D

Anejos, PAM 26's and PAM Milleniums are GREAT cigars ;)
Do you guy's smoke with your pinky up??
Actually more like a drug addict :0 craving Havanas instead of crack.
I am not proud of my addiction/disease :(
I've been looking for a "HA" chapter around here but sor far no luck :p

"HA" get it? I made a funny :p

coventrycat86 said:
"HA" get it? I made a funny :p
Someone needs to give Bill a job... Obviously not in comedy! :p

hmm cant say that ive had that happen yet although i havent been smokeing as long as u guys, although i did make the mistake of picked up a box of flavored phillies at the local gas station before going to a party, i seriously like got sick from the things ??? big mistake

"Do you guy's smoke with your pinky up??"

Only when I smoke Opus :D

"Anejos, PAM 26's and PAM Milleniums are GREAT cigars"

That I partially agree with, but 2 of the 3 were cigars I smoked that disappointed me. Then again I shouldn't have been surprised on those, Pan/Pam never did rock my world.
Maybe I don't hold my pinky at the right angle. :sign:

This thread was never about Cubans being better than domestics. Just that I had experienced a flavor loss on what should have been some very good cigars. They were all good cigars, just not great. The ones where you get down to the last inch and hate to put out. Where 15 min after it's out you say to yourself, damn that was a great cigar.

Perhaps this should be about not expecting too much from our cigars. We build them up in our minds to a point that no matter how good they are, They just aren't going to measure up to the expectations.

I dunno if this falls in the same category or not, but recently I've been very disappointed in the smokes I've had. Granted, these were "experimental" cigars, but last night's was a Monte Serie V dom, and it was only OK. I'm not a big fan of Monte's in general, but I've always liked the Serie line as an occasional smoke and this one.....well, let's just say I finished it out of frugality. ???

Oh, the lure of the dark side! Have I, too, succumbed to it's fascination??? :lookup:

If you smoked the $1 - $2 sticks I normally do you wouldn't be at all disappointed by those in your special box. I suspect your everday cigars are what I keep packed away for special occasions :sign:

There are many many many cigars I can smoke before looking to the dark side.

Hopefully the wrinkled old bastard in ISOM dies by then.

Matt

The only time I've lost my taste buds was unfortunately when smoking one of Kenny's mystery cigars.. I was drinking a mint tea which absolutely killed my taste buds..make the cigar take like cwap...when I've had that same cigar before and absolutely loved it.

Mint tea huh? I will have to remember that one, so as not to drink it with a cigar. Bet you didn't know you were imparting wisdom with that past, didja? :D