• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bad monte # 4's

MOTO69JOE

I haven't much luck with monte #4's lately. I just attempted to smoke one from a 06 box that had the worst chemical taste and a bad case of canoing. My last few weren't so great either. I had a petite tubo the other day that was pretty good and these are essentially the same cigar. Is it the fact that this is the most produced cigar in Havana that is causing these issues? I can rule out that these are counterfeits. Also this one struck me as interesting because it had a noticeably darker wrapper than any of my other montes. I read rave reviews about this cigar all the time and I like the size of them for a quick smoke but I am really becoming turned off to the #4. Should I just let them rest for a few years or what?

Certainly let them rest. I haven't had any from '06 recently so I can't attest to if they're sick or not. Regarding the tunneling, that might have something to do with your storage conditions as well. I've seen fairly alarming variations in wrapper color within the same line, even the same cigar size, that's just random.

I've smoked through almost a whole box of early '06s and they were/are very inconsistent. Some were great, some were terrible, most were just "ok." A lot has to do with the large scale production of them, but if you have the patience to let them age another couple of years they should get a lot better (hopefully).

I smoked several when I was overseas straight out of a B&M and none disappointed, I can't remember their age but they could not have been old stock.

As for the tunneling. I bought some CM5 Secretos from the same B&M and they were great. So, the next time, I purchased 8...every single stick tunneled. When I went
back I noticed that the humidifier was just above the box blowing steam out all day. My fault but there you go...storage is the main culprit.

Brian

we have had some 06 boxes that were merely ok. no construction issues, just a bit weaker, more blah than usual. we are currently burning through some 3 x 5 from dec 05 and some 5 x 5 form april 06 that are smoking just beautifully.

cheers
drew p

I've smoked about ten cigars from my OCT 06 box. There were a couple that were really muted and bland but the rest have been pretty good.

I recently have smoke several from 07' (no box date)that have all been good. I got a aug07 box that I'm hoping will be just as good.