• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bad Spelling 'should be accepted'

I am beside myself.

This world is going to Hell in a hand basket.

I plead with you, my fellow BOTL's please forget what you saw in post # 1 today.
It is just not right.

Another fine example of dumbing down the our kids. UGGHH!! I gotta get out of here. Methinks Germany... Wonderful beer, great food. Who's in?

Another fine example of dumbing down the our kids. UGGHH!! I gotta get out of here. Methinks Germany... Wonderful beer, great food. Who's in?

I think it should be noted that Bucks New University is not in the USA, but in the UK. It appears that it is a global dumbing down process.

I for one am not to surprised at this article. We live in an age of technology, excuses and lack or responsibility. We diagnosis kids with depression and put them on mood altering drugs, everyone has a learning disability that can be categorized. It seems we have gotten so caught up in keeping up with the Jones as well as the devalued dollar that parents rarely have time to raise their own kids. They then seek out excuses as to why their children are acting out, not doing well in school or getting in trouble with soulpuppy. The values have changed over time and imo for the worse. I remember growing up where TV was a reward on weekends, my parents read to me till I could read on my own, then we read together before bed, spelling and grammar where important as well as sports and family time. It is amazing how much has changed in so short a period of time. The worse part is that it is my generation that is responsible for a lot of this crap and i only see it getting worse as people in general become more and more lazy.

w311 'f '7 w45 up 70 m057 0f 7h3 k'd5 wh0 5p3nd w4y m0r3 7'm3 0n 7h3 'n73rn37 7h3n 7h3y 5h0u1d... w3 w0u1d 411 83 5p34k'n6 4nd wr'7'n6 1'k3 7h'5.

w311 'f '7 w45 up 70 m057 0f 7h3 k'd5 wh0 5p3nd w4y m0r3 7'm3 0n 7h3 'n73rn37 7h3n 7h3y 5h0u1d... w3 w0u1d 411 83 5p34k'n6 4nd wr'7'n6 1'k3 7h'5.

Translated to:
Well if it was up to most of the kids who spend way more time on the internet than they should... we would all be speaking and writing like this.

Where is Bill when you need him?

Dang it, Brad. I've been trying to ignore it, but then you went and posted in this thread. :whistling:

I don't know where Bill is right now, but when he shows up perhaps he can help you with your member title... :D

Love the new avatar, btw. :thumbs:

I think it should be noted that Bucks New University is not in the USA, but in the UK. It appears that it is a global dumbing down process.

This is the English and the BBC. They are responsible for this language and perhaps (even though they are down on the list in terms of the total number of English speaking people) they feel they can do what they wish with the language. :laugh:

The largest English speaking country is India with some 350 million people speaking "English". Just think of the possibilities. We speak with them every day. Computer techs with names like Randy, Bob and Bill. An observation, sometimes it is easier to understand those folks than those "Cockney" accents from the east end of London. We should not accept slop from the founders of our language!

So noted.

One point in favor: we have a living language. Nobody on this board speaks or writes the Queen's English. Words are introduced, revised, and fall out of circulation with the passage of time. Likewise with spellings; I have to edit "flavour" and "realise" quite often, because those aren't correct spellings in the dominant American English used on CP.

BUT

The point of language is to communicate. In that incorrect spelling, grammar, or diction detracts from the ability of a message to communicate, it is incorrect. By using a standard spelling for your particular dialect, you make a message unambiguously and easily comprehensible; words are recognized straightforwardly. Furthermore, correct diction, grammar, and spelling is a basic token of respect for the recipient, that one appreciates the time he or she spends reading the message by not burdening them with one's own idiosyncrasies.

What we have here, by legitimizing variant spellings, is an act of fundamental disrespect and lack of maturity. If the writer uses words loosely, without taking the reader into account, they're offloading their own effort, correcting their own word choice, onto the reader, who has to spend time working out what's really being said. As adults, we clean up our own messes. If your written communication is a mess, you're the one who should be cleaning it up.

Yeah, instead of helping some people get smarter, let's make everyone dumber!