• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bad start on a Padron 40th

Seamus

Minister of Closing Matters
Yesterday I wanted to sit down and relax with a nice cigar so I decided to fire up a Padron 40th. I did my usual lighting routine but had a real hard time getting it going. At first it would only burn down the inside, about half of diameter. I finally get the outside lit but it was burning horribly. The draw was fine when it was lit but one puff then snuff. The outside portion that took so long to light was would catch fire even without puffing on it. I would have to blow it out. I got down about 1" and decided to knock off the ash and try it again. When I did I noticed the portion that was not staying lit and catching fire was really hard and black. It come out in one large piece about 1/2" x 3/8" fat. After that it smoked like a dream but I lost the first 1" and a half. What was this petrified portion of tobacco?

Doesn't sound like any Padron I've smoked...There could be a lot of variables though. I know my cigars don't burn as good when it's very humid outside.

I have had a similar problem with some smokes. Seems occasionally I will get, for lack of a better term, a "rock" in thi middle of the bunch. It is a really hard spot that seems to not burn or burn VERY slowly. The burn will travel around the "rock" and eventually I can break it off and relight. Very strange.

Anyone know what causes this? ???

I had an Opus X do something similar to me last week... except there was no saving this one... was kinda peeved that a $22 cigar burnt like a wet turd :angry2:

i tend to leave a smoke out the off coolodor for a few hours before i smoke it...idk a friend told me that it helps because it drys out a little bit...I could be wrong, but im just in the habit of doing it and my smokes tend to light fine

edit:spell check

I would think it was caused by one or both of the two things already mentioned here:
- A humidity problem. How was the cigar stored before you smoked it?
- A bad spot due to poor construction. I would be surprised since I've never smoked a Padron with bad construction but hey it could happen.

Just out of dumb curiosity, how do you light your cigars?

It was not a humidity problem. As soon as I removed the tobacco tumor it was fine.

I toast the foot then rotate and puff and correct if necessary. Short version but the same as most I imagine.

Sure, NP. Of course you will have to pay royalties. Cubans will work.