• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bands

gawntrail

I am new to the forum, but have been smoking for about 15 years. I have bought and smoked lots of premium bands and a few quality Cubans. I do not consider myself an expert on cigars and am seeking opinions/advice on something.

I buy most of my cigar bundles from cigar.com. I am not endorsing nor detracting from their business (I like it), but I wanted to float something for comment. They offer their ownn brand that is banded. I buy lots of these because they are inexpensive and qualify in my mind as a good daily smoke and I like to share with buddies (I also have boxes of La Glorias, Hoyos, Cohiba Red Dots, etc.... and share these too). I also buy their bundled Churchill and Robusto rejects. I use these for the quantity factor in my humidors. I really like these smokes.

Now, on to my question.

What is the etiquette, feeling, your opinions on making a band on my computer and putting them on the naked rejects?

My intentions are not to pass these as something they are not, nor are they to imitate another band. Instead I am thinking along the lines of putting my name or fundraising cause and the type of smoke it is, combined with something unique.

I am a HS football coach and we have fundraisers all of the time. I thought to buy some of these smokes band 'em with a custom band that has the fundraiser info on it. Like the team mascot logo and a thank you for participating/donating to said fundraiser. Charging keystone for the smoke. We do lots of Golf tournaments, Vegas nights, and labor auctions, and I think this would add some value and 'class' to these events. Lots of guys ask about smokes (because they know I smoke) and I would like to offer a reasonable smoke for a reasonable cost at these types of events (these events are only ones put on by me run by me, not to be misconstrued as setting up a table somewhere and 'scalping' smokes).

Give me your thoughts. I haven't done it yet, but am definitely interested in feedback. Again, this is not to misrepresent the smoke nor mislead the smoker (i.e. counterfeiting). I feel this is a good idea, but want to hear from others.

Thank you in advance for your input.

M. Gipson :)

A couple guys around here make bands. I see nothing wrong with it as long as your not making fake cohiba bands ;)

I also know that Hoyo will sell you a box of their smokes w/ a customized name on them.

i.e. your own, or the football team.

another poss. idea.

:thumbs:

gawntrail said:
What is the etiquette, feeling, your opinions on making a band on my computer and putting them on the naked rejects?

My intentions are not to pass these as something they are not, nor are they to imitate another band. Instead I am thinking along the lines of putting my name or fundraising cause and the type of smoke it is, combined with something unique.

I am a HS football coach and we have fundraisers all of the time. I thought to buy some of these smokes band 'em with a custom band that has the fundraiser info on it. Like the team mascot logo and a thank you for participating/donating to said fundraiser. Charging keystone for the smoke.
As a former football player I think that is a GREAT idea.

As long as you are not representing that the cigars are custom rolled for you.

Another option is to take already banded smokes and add your own second band.

You will probably want to contact a member on here named clown and check out his pass. (In passes in progress).

He does the same thing.

Great idea. However, you may want to check on the ISD's policy on selling said tobacco for a school fund-raiser. My guess is that it will cause great debate. 'round these parts, tobacco's not allowed on the school grounds premises...not that you'll sell em at school, but it's prolly "contriband".

Horse,

Thanks for the reality check.

Definitely. These events would be adults only, no student/athletes involved, and not on school grounds (golf courses, banquet halls, and/or public areas).

-For all-

I just think it would be cool and add a certain touch to said events. We host a Golf Tournament that has about 100 participants and many of them bring their own smokes cause they know I'll be puffin' (we smoke, drink beers, and generally BS so much, that the golf is actually secondary). I've had those that brought their own, and those that didn't, ask me if we had some available. That is what triggered the thought. We also do a Vegas Night at a local public hall and what is gambling without beverages and smokes?

Here in California, we are not allowed to smoke indoors, but the smoking section outside is where the real deals are made. So I'm thinking maybe a novelty smoke for a bargain price would not just help the fundraiser, but maybe help share the experience of cigars with newbies.

Usually when I light up a smoke out in public, there is always someone willing to join me, whether they have their own smoke or not (the very reason I always travel with my trusty 3 finger). I enjoy sharing the experience with others. Besides, if I wanted to smoke in private I'll just stay home.

To all, thanks for the feedback. All is appreciated and noted. Anyone else care to offer up their thoughts?

M. Gipson