• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Banning Soda in California Schools

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
This story is pathetic. Davis is nothing but a moron, and how he got in office is beyond me. I'm sure a can of coke is what makes kids fat, come on!!! I wish more people would stand up and speak out in California, this is such a weird state to live in. OH, and if any of you want to come here for a herf, don't forget to order your California Handbook so you know how to walk, talk and act in the great state of California. :D

Code:
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Hoping to combat childhood obesity, the nation's second-largest school district is expected to ban the sale of soft drinks at its 677 campuses. 

The sale of soda is already prohibited at elementary schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District, and the school board is set to vote Tuesday to extend the ban to the district's approximately 200 middle and high schools. 

"This is the right thing to do for children," said board member Julie Korenstein, one of three co-sponsors. "There is an obesity epidemic in the United States today nationally, and there is a tremendous rise in childhood diabetes." 

"Whatever children do outside of our schools, that's obviously up to parents and families, but we don't feel we need to contribute to it any longer," she said. 

Although educators and legislators have long grappled with how to promote student health, few districts have restricted soft drink sales. Texas is the only state where soft drink sales are banned during lunch at all public schools. 

In banning the sales, however, the district would take away a source of revenue; profits from sodas fund student activities, generating an annual average of $39,000 per high school and $14,000 per middle school. 

"When it is time for us to have dances and we don't have enough money, we rely on money from vending machines," 17-year-old Kenneth Raymond, a senior at Dorsey High School, told the Los Angeles Times. "Even at pep rallies, we need to pay for our deejays. The school isn't going to pay for that." 

Board member Marlene Canter, one of the measure's sponsors, said the district would make up the funding from other sources including sales of non-carbonated beverages. 

Gov. Gray Davis ( news - web sites) signed a law last year banning sodas in elementary schools that goes into effect in January 2004, but a proposal to phase out soft drink sales in all public schools failed to clear a state Senate committee in May. 

Health advocates applaud the pending action at the district, which serves 748,000 students. In addition to the three sponsors, two other board members have said they support the motion, suggesting it will have more than the four of seven votes necessary for passage Tuesday. 

Childhood obesity is causing increasing concern among health professionals, and soft drinks share the blame. Fourteen percent of children ages 6 through 19 are classified as obese or overweight, almost three times as many as in the 1960s. 

The motion before the board Tuesday would ban all sales of carbonated drinks during school hours by January 2004. Still permitted would be water, milk, beverages with at least 50 percent fruit juice and sports drinks with less than 42 grams of sugar per 20-ounce serving. 

Sean McBride, spokesman for the National Soft Drink Association, criticized the board's proposed action. 

"We are being singled out for a very complex problem," he told the Times. 

"The one thing you simply cannot ignore in this is the role of a sedentary lifestyle... This is about the couch, not about the can."

Well that will become quite interesting considering many schools allready have 5 year contracts with Pepsi and or Coke for having them provide new scoreboards on sports feilds.
I know of several of these contracts here in this area.
Kind of like they cut funding then told the schools to fend for themselves, now they in this infinite wisdom are going to curtail this..Hmm
I smell lawsuit.

Well I don't know anything about this Davis dude, and I'm sure some of the things that go on in Cali are a bit weird...but I seem to agree with this. Soda makes people fat!!! Your average kid can probably burn through the calories, but why promote unhealthy practice? The real problem here is, if the are trying to look out for kids on the nutrition end, they might want to start in the caffeteria. I'm not sure what types of food they serve in that school district, but I remember eating a "mystery" type dish atleast once a week when I was in school...and I know that had to be some bad stuff.LMAO. :p

I dont think those kids need the sodas either. These kids are getting fatter and fatter. I dont know why it cant be decided on by the school boards rather than have the Govenor try to make it State law. (does he have better thing to do?)

California? Arent they installing Ritalin machines next year?? LMAO

Can't blame it on the soda's. The kids eat alot of crap like potato chips and and other junk foods, then go home and sit in front of the tv, nitendo or computer and get fat. HMMMM, MAYBE THEY SHOULD BAND COMPUTERS???

Nah, it's the parents responsibility, NOT the schools. Parents are allowing their kids to get fat, and soda does NOT make people obese. It's eating crap food and then sitting on their ass all day/night playing computer games.

I thought it would be very interesting to see your reactions, because this is very similar to smoking cigarettes/cigars. Should the government ban them from you because they can cause cancer? Of course not, but they want to do that with sodas because they *CAN CONTRIBUTE* to making ***SOME*** kids fat who have absolutely ***NO*** ambition to exercise... Think about that :)

Like HBooker says: "It's YOUR choice, make it a good one" :thumbs:

Rod, if the "authorities" passed a law forbidding everything that wasn't good for us, then there would be absolutely nothing for us to eat, drink, wear, or even to breathe.

I agree with your general sentiments - people have to take responsibility for their choices and actions.

What happened to parents deciding what their children eat?

Sam

I can say nothing that Rod did not already say. I live in this state and mostly understand its sometimes STUPID laws..

IN general California likes to tout its liberalism while stifling the individual freedoms of its individuals. Enough said. Rod you are the man!
:p

Yes, eating crap and then not doing anything productive is what increases weight. SODA IS CRAP! Tastes good, but CRAP none the less. And there's other health problems also. Like was mentioned - diabetes, kidney stones, liver function, etc. There's a whole plethora of health problems and indications that can be contributed to by soda.

Now, I agree that it's parents responsibility. But let's bring to light two points:

1. Not enough parents do take the responsibility. Case in point? The 14% obesity rate! I think if the parents cared, or made time, they'd be more involved in these decisions and policies as adopted by schools. Not to mention, involved in the health related issues of their children.
2. School is an integral part of childrens lives, and I personally think it's great if the schools show a genuine interest in students health! Granted there are bigger issues that could be tackled (i.e. birthcontrol, prescription of narcotics, and pregnancy termination counseling without parental consent) but it's a start.

Really, what are the kids going to be missing out on wihtout soda at school? Put bottled water, milk and juice in the machines. They'll just as much revenue as the soda did.

And finally, the comment about regulation of soda being just like the government taking cigars and cigarettes from us?
NOT! It's just like the government putting an age limit on the purchase of those items because it's the nations job to take care of our children! I know, I don't want my seven year old son to be able to but cigarettes just to spite the governments control of them.

Of course, this all just IMHO :D

Muley said:
1. (i.e. birthcontrol, prescription of narcotics, and pregnancy termination counseling without parental consent) but it's a start.

2. NOT! It's just like the government putting an age limit on the purchase of those items because it's the nations job to take care of our children! I know, I don't want my seven year old son to be able to but cigarettes just to spite the governments control of them.

Of course, this all just IMHO :D
1. Should read: 1. (i.e. birthcontrol given out in school, prescription of narcotics in school without parental approval, and pregnancy termination counseling without parental consent) but it's a start.

2 Should read: NOT! It's just like the government putting an age limit on the purchase of those items because it's the nations job to take care of our children! I know I don't want my seven year old son to be able to buy cigarettes just to spite the governments control of them.

Gomenasai ??? ???

Sorry. I would not want to upset anyone, but I am in favor of this, as much as I am in favor of age limits on tobacco products. Sodas are extreamly bad for us, even more so for growing children. Parents are not there at school to make sure they're dringing what they should, and teachers and admin have very little control over kids, thanks to screaming parents. So laws are all that are left to protect the children.

Would I want laws against ME smoking cigars, hell no! But I am not a child, and that is the bottom line. I would certainly not want the state to allow my son to smoke.

You really want the government being in charge of your kids? It's the parents responsibility, and if parents can't ACT LIKE PARENTS, then they should not have kids. I sure as hell wouldn't want the government telling MY kid what he can and can't eat/drink. Sounds communistic to me... People need to be responsible for themselves. Anything consumed in large amounts is not good for you. Hell, water can kill you if you drink too much in a short period of time. Let's think about this, go pick up a bag of chips and compare the calories to twinkies, chips, candy, shall I go on? Perhaps they should also remove all the junk food vending machines?

Also, this is high school their banning it in. The government is controlling too much, and this is a prime example. If people stand by and allow them to do it, you guys won't be smoking legally in the future. It's all a matter of time, and people need to be responsible for themselves and stand up for their rights. It's only going to get worse, and it's a shame.

IMHO......

I'm still disagreeing with you Californians that think this is ridiculous. First of all, they aren't banning soda from school, they are banning the sale of soda. It's not like it's illegal to stop buy the party store on the way to school and pick up a Mountain Dew. It's not like they are going to change the signs around the school that say "Drug Free School Zone" to "Soda Free School Zone"...they just refuse to sell it. Big deal!! How is that making the government incharge of our kids? It's not. You all are obviously worked up about other Cali issues and are just using this as another log to throw on the fire. They didn't even have vending machines in schools when I was in school, if you were thristy you used the drinking fountain. :)

to me it just seems like more government medalling.
a legislation of morality, so to speak. banning of sodas in school
is NOT going to stave off obesity. banning of nintendo would come closer,
but that would be more government sticking it's nose where it doesn't
belong.

"The government that governs least, governs best."

who was that, Ben Franklin? ???

You dont think that maybe requiring PE every year would be a better spot to start. Check it out if you were under the thought that it was a requirement. (It may even have been one when we where schooled.)
But now its not a manditory thing every year.

Ironic..

Now if Davis Ca and Berkley can get this passed here its only a mater of the next victory and then soon...we shall be totally screwed.

"The government that governs least, governs best."

THOMAS JEFFERSON

(My Great Uncle....several times removed.)