• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

BBQ Sauce

mysterea

So my wife is a veggie, and as such I make BBQ Tofu to get my Bar-Be-Que fix (unless she's not around, then it's steak all the way)

At any rate, I figured I should post the recipe for BBQ sauce. I mean, you can slather this stuff on anything and make it tasty.
Keep in mind, I eyeball all these measurements, and it's always good. Also, spice to taste. Typically I use four fresh red peppers, just the seeds. If you have red pepper flakes 2 tbsp is a good start.

2 med. onions, diced
6 cloves garlic, smashed
1/3rd c olive oil
2 1/2 c tomato sauce
1/4 c water (or beer, or anything really)
1 c brown sugar, or maple syrup (my preference)
1/2 c mustard, spicy brown if possible, more is better in my book, but ya gotta think about your guests...
1 tsp allspice
1 1/2 tsp parsley
1 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp cumin (totally optional)

Sautee onions, garlic, and oil until the onion is translucent, you can go futher, but what's the point?

Stir in everything else, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about an hour. Stir occasionally.

Cheers, and enjoy
Rob

Don't MAKE me ship you some Tofu ya bastid! :laugh:
You gotta come over for dinner brother!

In all honesty it's pretty good chit. Ya gotta marinate the tofu in peanut butter and olive oil first though, tofu pretty much has no taste from the get-go, it's all what ya do with it. (insert momma joke here)

Cheers,
Rob

Tofu, aka bean curd. I wonder if anyone would eat it if it were labeld as such? I like it in hot and sour soup. Other than that...

Doc.

How do you BBQ Tofu!? I can't imagine that stuff staying on a grill surface. And when it falls through, someone's got to clean that alien crap from the grill... Nothing touches my grill that wasn't alive a few days ago.

Tofu is good in Pad Thai, however I could not imagine eating it as a large hunk by itself....

There is a traditional Japanese dish made up of grilled tofu with a couple very tasty sauces. I'll see if I can track down my recipe.

How do you BBQ Tofu!? I can't imagine that stuff staying on a grill surface. And when it falls through, someone's got to clean that alien crap from the grill... Nothing touches my grill that wasn't alive a few days ago.

I don't actually grill it, I bake it on a 'pizza stone' type baking sheet.
It actually turns out damn good, let me tell ya a little trick:

First ya freeze the tofu (x-firm) solid, then thaw it. This 'swiss cheeses' the interior of the tofu
Then ta take the slabs and stick em on an angled cutting board, and put a pot full of water on top to squish the funky tofu water out of the slabs. This opens up all them little pockets to air, which gives the tofu a fluffy texture later on.
You can skip the freezing, but not the 'squishing'.

Chop the tofu into chunks about 1/2 inch square (ish)

So then ya take:
1/3rd cup olive oil
6 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp garlic powder

Mix all that stuff up, toss it in a large ziplock bag and add the tofu. Let that sit marinating in the fridge while you start the sauce, make sure to flip the bag at least once. This should sit for at least 20 minutes.

To cook:
Preheat the oven to 350,, load up the pan with the tufo chunks and bake them bastards for 25 minutes, then flip and repeat.
Once browned (they get semi-crispy if you squished enough water out) toss the whole deal in your BBQ sauce with a cup of corn.

I serve this over whole grain brown rice (frozen is easiest) and the shit's amazing. Goes to show ya, you toss BBQ sauce over anything and you'll love it. I would have posted this originally but people see tofu and immediately say 'yuck'.

Anyone want to come over for dinner? Chili tonight (with jalapeno cornbread)

Cheers,
Rob

Actually sounds pretty good! My wife is a veggie too, and since we live in hippie-town usa there is no escaping tofu for me... Recipe sounds good. I'll have to try it next time... :cool: She has been on a soy-patty Boca Burger fix as of late so the BBQ sauce would be an interesting addition. Thanks!

also look for something called 'Quorn' in your 'fake meat' section of the frozen foods case.
The shit's made from mushrooms (not the good kind) but tastes impressively chicken-esque. (great term huh?)

Taste like chicken, Ha! I've heard that before. Used to describe the taste of anything from gray squirrel to tripe. Funny thing is none of it tastes like chicken.

Doc.

Taste like chicken, Ha! I've heard that before. Used to describe the taste of anything from gray squirrel to tripe. Funny thing is none of it tastes like chicken.

Doc.

So true. Long ago, I was even told that by fella describing alligator tail. Yeah, ok. Besides, such a description ignores the bigger point...if I wanted something that tastes like chicken, I'd have chicken.

Green eggs were the worst for me. Even hot sauce couldn't fix 'em.

Tofu is OK, certainly doesnt taste like chicken (unless you marinate in chicken stock and then what is the point?). The stuff is actually pretty tasteless so a good marinade is the key. As a chef I am forced to cook veggie meals and even vegetarians are a bit hesitant about it. I do a stuffed tofu dish that isnt bad, I cut a pound of tofu in half diagonally marinate it in an oriental marinade(typically szechuan or teriyaki) overnight. Cut a pocket in the center and stuff it with a mixture of julienne carrots, bean sprouts, ginger and cabbage and bake it until it is hot. Not bad with some brown rice and baby bokchoy.

As for your BBQ sauce it sounds good for a northern style, most parts of the country would add some vinegar and I would use ground corriander instead of the cumin. Those in the Carolinas would like some mustard in theirs. BBQ is great stuff however it is made!