• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beads and hygrometer

bigdan1173

Can anyone point me to the member who sells the humidification beads. I'd like his email if possible. I heard he offers a discount to people on this board.

Also, I'm looking for a GOOD hygrometer. The ones I have seem to be off. I have tried calibrating them both. The digital is off by 8 or 9 points and the non-digital is well...a non digital.

Thanks,

Dan :thumbs:

CLIMMAX.COM FOR THE BEADS! BIG VERN :thumbs:
WALLYWORLD HAS GREAT DIGITAL HYDROMETERS! :thumbs:

isn't wallyworld where the griswalds were headed? :D :p ;) :sign:

Hey Joe,

Can you recommend a model for me to get at Wally World? The digital one I have now is from Wal Mart and cost me $15. However it's about 8 points off.

Thanks,

Dan

Maybe you got a bad one?? I have 4 acurite's, they are all within 3* give or take.

I have four digitals. Two of the Pen Style and two from Radio Shack.

I did a salt test with all four of them and had 1 of the pen style and one of the Radio Shack units dead on 75%. The second Radio Shack unit read 74% and the second pen unit was 73%. All perfectly acceptable to me. The big difference was I paid twice as much for the pen style hygro.

I suggest getting one of the Radio Shack ones and giving it a salt test. More than likely you will get good results within a few % of 75% and maybe lucky enough to get one dead on. A few % high or low is plenty good for the use you will need it for. If your tests go well,you saved enough for a few extra cigars.....if not, take it back and tell them it didn't give you an accurate reading and you would like to test another. ;)

Thanks for the tips on the pen/radio shack hygros. I'll head to radio shack tomorrow and see about the cheaper model. I clicked on your link and got the one that kind of looks like a digital humidifier. And thanks for the email for the beads. I'll email him tonight.

Thanks again,

Dan

you could always put a little sticker on it with + or - what ever the amount is. Just a thought. ???

You are probably right. I just get so paranoid about humidity. I'm probably worrying too much. BTW Joe...I'm going to buy a igloo this weekend. Besides the humidification beads, what else do I need in there? Just the cigars and a hygrometer?

Thats what I got! Unless you would like to be like Paragod and kill a forest to line you cooler! :sign:

One more thing...

I've tried two of the cigars. The first was the macanudo hyde park. Very good. I also tried the la unica and loved it. I haven't tried the rest. I feel guilty for even considering smoking them. I know they have been aged well and they are "special". I feel like I have to save them for a special occasion.

Dig in brother! Your going to have to know what you like so you can go in to debt stocking your coolerdor! :p

Yeah, after reading about all the sawing and glueing involved in PG's coolidor I decided to take the feng shui approach.

I like that Feng Shui idea, what about bumper stickers..
"Enjoy Feng Shui,Smoke a cigar today"

Okay, I got the Radio Shack $19.95 hygrometer. How do I measure my salt/h2o mixture? I know that there shouldn't be a whole bunch of water, but it seems like each time I try to calibrate my digitals they come to 67%. Maybe I have too little water. I was putting in about 1 tsp of salt and 5 or 6 drops of h2o.

Any help would be appreciated.

What are you testing it in? How long are you leaving it?

Here's my recommendation. Take two - gallon size baggies. Place one inside of the other. Take a milk jug cap and fill it with salt. Don't over fill it. Put enough water in to make a paste. Not a soupy paste but a thick and smooth paste. Place this mixture and the hygro in the bag and make sure they are not touching each other. Fluff the baggie so its not touching the Hygro either. Be sure to do this in a place that will not be disturbed and away from sunlight, heat sources, air flows....etc. A closet is a good place.

Once you have done all this.......Leave it Alone! :D

Do not run and check on it every hour. Just leave it for a min of 8 to 12 hours. I personally leave it for a complete day (24hours). If everything is done correctly and the stars are all aligned in the universe just right ;) you should have a reading of 75%. If you are not close, I would repeat the test. If you get the same results, take the hygro back and get another one. If its off a few % then just mark it +/- whatever the difference is and you're set. :thumbs:

Okay, I'll give it a try. I've tried quart sized bags on all my stuff so far. I think maybe I'm putting to little water in as well. So I'll try again with bigger bags in a different location and more of a paste type mix. I'll let you know what I come up with.

THANKS!!

Well my coolidor is going great. It is stable without any problems now, I don't know why it took so long to stabilize.