• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beetles

cigarman1979

I cleaned up my coolerdor and put it down in the basement. Must have gotten warm because I checked it tonight (3 weeks later) and disaster. It's the only box that had any evidence of beetles, but wish it hadn't been that box. I purchased these back in May of 2008, and for the beetles to show up now is just shocking. I am going to call the online retailer where I got them and see what they can do.

I have found beetles in graycliffs three separate times, from three different source in three different lines. I know the pathology of tobacco beetle breeding but honestly I am pretty leery of Graycliff product now.

These were from the CI deal from the Graycliff double espressos that came with a free 24 pack of 1666 PGX's.

Well known and documented outrbeak. I doubt CI will do anything about it. Mine were ruined, too. Lucky I had them in a cooler almost by thesmelves. I never contacted CI, but I'm sure if we build a case we can work something out.

I have found beetles in graycliffs three separate times, from three different source in three different lines. I know the pathology of tobacco beetle breeding but honestly I am pretty leery of Graycliff product now.

I wonder if it has anything to do with where they're made.
I didn't know there was a trend of this in Graycliffs. Thanks for the heads up.

I've got 2 Graycliffs that came via pass/trade and I'm worried. Guess I better torch these bad boys and eliminate the fear.

You are not alone. :angry:
The Graycliffs deal happened to me as well.
gallery_4231_1004_69140.jpg

gallery_4231_1004_105734.jpg

I wish I took a pic of the white larvae critters at the foot of the cigar.
Once finding the outbreak, I immediately froze the cigars. (And to the debate if freezing cigars losses flavor. The answer is no. imo)

My suggestion is to keep all Graycliffs in a separate container and smoke them when you can.

What is the reason for a beetles outbreak?
Too much humidity?
Or low?
I keep my cigars at 70%-72% RH.

What is the reason for a beetles outbreak?
Too much humidity?
Or low?
I keep my cigars at 70%-72% RH.

Not humidity, but heat causes them to hatch out. Any cigar that gets over 80 degrees is at risk.

Damn, pictures like these make you want to spend the next 3 hours searching through your boxes. Sorry to hear bro.

Called the retailer this morning and they said there was nothing they can do. She did offer a freebie of some sort if I were to place an order with them again (not likely). I tried to argue my point that even the purchase was in May the cigars were sent with beetles it just took time to reach the right conditions to hatch. No luck.

So if I freeze these could I smoke them even if they have holes? I just can't fathom loosing $200 in cigars.

It's surprising that they can't do anything about it. I had a customer order a box of cigars that had a beetle outbreak months after his purchase. I sent him another box and the manufacturer send me TWO boxes as a replacement, even though it was purchased months before. The company was General Cigar and they were La Gloria Series Rs.

Called the retailer this morning and they said there was nothing they can do. She did offer a freebie of some sort if I were to place an order with them again (not likely). I tried to argue my point that even the purchase was in May the cigars were sent with beetles it just took time to reach the right conditions to hatch. No luck.

So if I freeze these could I smoke them even if they have holes? I just can't fathom loosing $200 in cigars.

That is ridiculous !
What kind of costumer service they are running there?
Can you provide the vendor name please.

As for freezing them,from what I read you need to freeze them for about a week and check
them after if the holes have gone bigger.if so throw them away.

Well I hesitate to out a retailer especially since they have been flawless for $1000's of dollars of purchases. But since they can't help, and I am insulted by their offer to throw in a freebie if I order again...

As posted earlier it was from the Cigars International deal for the Double Espressos and PG 1666.

I would be willing to call them again, if anyone else wants to provide me their order numbers or other information from this same purchase... maybe if enough people complain they will be compelled.

Here is what you do ... place an order from them for the exact same box. When it comes switch the good one for the beetle box and ship the beetles and destroyed cigars back to them demanding a full refund for shipping beetle infested crap. :whistling: