• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bellevue WA Recommendation: Where can you smoke a cigar?

Sorry for coming in late on this, I haven't been here in a couple of weeks. Flea, could you give me driving directions in your own words how to get to the location you are talking about? I used to drive my truck past this place many, many times. I think you two guys might be talking about different places. I have been to RCC many times and can't say enough good stuff about them. Their summer event schedule never disappoints either. I want to be sure that we're all talking about the same place. Again, no offense intended here, I just want to be sure we're on the same page.

Sorry for coming in late on this, I haven't been here in a couple of weeks. Flea, could you give me driving directions in your own words how to get to the location you are talking about? I used to drive my truck past this place many, many times. I think you two guys might be talking about different places. I have been to RCC many times and can't say enough good stuff about them. Their summer event schedule never disappoints either. I want to be sure that we're all talking about the same place. Again, no offense intended here, I just want to be sure we're on the same page.

Hey Mob,
I believe were talking about the same place. It a small shop just off of S.Michigan.
Here is their web address.

http://www.raincitycigar.com/

I'm not trying to ruin any party. Just expressing my opinions about that establishment. I don't understand how a cigar shop after I point out a fuzzy cigar ....(point blank and mind you in a tactful manner) say that the fuzz was plume? ridiculous! What would you do?

The funny thing is when I was there the first time ..a CAO rep was there and he agreed that it was plume!
OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

Anyhow, ...again...I'm not here to offend anyone or start an argument. If members here find the place enjoyable ..more cigar to them!

Hey Mob,
I believe were talking about the same place. It a small shop just off of S.Michigan.
Here is their web address.

http://www.raincitycigar.com/

I'm not trying to ruin any party. Just expressing my opinions about that establishment. I don't understand how a cigar shop after I point out a fuzzy cigar ....(point blank and mind you in a tactful manner) say that the fuzz was plume? ridiculous! What would you do?

The funny thing is when I was there the first time ..a CAO rep was there and he agreed that it was plume!
OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

Anyhow, ...again...I'm not here to offend anyone or start an argument. If members here find the place enjoyable ..more cigar to them!

That's the place. I'm certainly not offended. I wonder if the smoking ban has had a negative effect on this shop. Their humi seems to be smaller. I'm kinda just confused now because each time i go there, I check the hygros, just like every other shop I go to. I'm actually gonna stop by there tomorrow night on my way to a doc appt. I'll do a thorough inspection and report back.

OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

What you did was malign a stand up and well respected business in a public forum. This is a store whose owner has done more on behalf of Washington state cigar smokers that you will ever dream of doing.

You claimed that the owners and employees were "Idiots". There are literally hundreds of regulars of this shop that will likely disagree with your generous assessment of their characters. You claimed that their humidor was "full of mold". Was it? Or was it one cigar (in a tube that you opened) that was a problem? Did you spend a lot of time going through their ENTIRE selection, including their enormous wholesale humidor, and come to this conclusion? Or was your comment intended to try and prop yourself up at the expense of someone else's well earned and respected reputation?

Oh and btw, You also claimed that they did not carry a number of various cigars, including Opus, VSG, Padrons, etc... They do. In fact, I just picked up a couple of 80th's last week. They had a box of Enchantments, and a number of various 1926's at the same time.

look,.....if I touched a nerve with you guys because you shop there...I'm sorry but there is no question that keeping a humidor @ 77% RH will promote mold growth. If you can handle that and the truth ...then I'm sorry. I know what I saw...next time your there check the tubos....when you find mold ..ask what the white stuff on the sticks are and see what kind of response you get. "plume"!!

Just because you bought some stick without mold on them doesn't mean there in good condition. I know if I knew that they have mold in their humi, I sure wouln't put the purchased sticks in my humi where it can possibly ruin other cigars.

So mold in a tubed cigar is caused by conditions in a cigar shop (where they likely reside for a couple of weeks). I see...

The second section in bold speaks for itself. Forgive me if I ignore any of your future expert prognostications.

It's your money, spend it as you wish.

I guess that's your way of not giving offense.

What you did was malign a stand up and well respected business in a public forum. This is a store whose owner has done more on behalf of Washington state cigar smokers that you will ever dream of doing.

You claimed that the owners and employees were "Idiots". There are literally hundreds of regulars of this shop that will likely disagree with your generous assessment of their characters. You claimed that their humidor was "full of mold". Was it? Or was it one cigar (in a tube that you opened) that was a problem? Did you spend a lot of time going through their ENTIRE selection, including their enormous wholesale humidor, and come to this conclusion? Or was your comment intended to try and prop yourself up at the expense of someone else's well earned and respected reputation?

Oh and btw, You also claimed that they did not carry a number of various cigars, including Opus, VSG, Padrons, etc... They do. In fact, I just picked up a couple of 80th's last week. They had a box of Enchantments, and a number of various 1926's at the same time.

:thumbs:

Well said, and my thoughts exactly. I don't care if Flea7 doesn't like the store - but to publicly trash a store like Rain City without just cause is just wrong. If you don't like the store, don't go there - simple. Your comments about the staff being idiots and "there humi is full of molded cigars" was way out of line.

I have yet to see a stick in bad condition at that shop, and am confident that if I did the staff would remove it and look after the customer. I didn't want to stand by with this gross exaggerations about a great shop that could potentially stop people from visiting there.

Just when B&Ms (especially one that has been in the same location for nearly 20 years and fought against bans and continues to dedicate a ton of time in doing so) needs the support of local cigar smokers the most amidst scrutiny of the anti-smoking nazi's we get people slamming them.....just don't get it.

Today, I am in and out of my office. so I haven't had time to respond to your comments but when I get home I will share my thoughts.

have a good day gents!

Don't worry Ulster, we are just chumps who buy moldy cigars and don't even know it...

I guess you are right - hell I have been there the past two days and just picked some really moldy cigars.

The picture is funny, I have never seen that color of wood in the shop, nor do any of their display cases look like the one in the picture. This is what their display looks like.

You are correct. I was talking to someone about this issue and pointed them to this thread and they said the same thing. That does not look anything like RCC's humidor.

Hump day is always tough.......I even have to bring work home.

So.....This thread is turning into a pissing contest and I will take some blame for it. I didn't realize that I have offended people to a personal level who frequent the cigar store. I do apologize calling them "idiots" in my past post .......It was unfair and wrong to vent in that manner on a public forum.

Some months ago I did start a thread on this issue but didn't disclose the vendor because I thought it was not appropriate. Well, when you referred them as a good vendor in this thread I HAD to give my opinion on the store. It's not because I'm trying to "prop" myself in the expense of the vendor. I've been a member here for nearly 2 year and I come to this forum just about everyday. I not a post or a attention whore.....gees I only have a 150 or so post. I'm truly a read more and post less type of person ....I'm not trying to trump anyone or even draw attention to myself. I feel that you brought the vendor up and I gave a negative, TRUE, opinion of what I have experience in that store. It is an un-bias opinion of what had happened they are not lies and the picture is of their hydro in the corner of their small humidor is from their store.

[/quote]
Oh and btw, You also claimed that they did not carry a number of various cigars, including Opus, VSG, Padrons, etc... They do. In fact, I just picked up a couple of 80th's last week. They had a box of Enchantments, and a number of various 1926's at the same time.[/quote]

I gave an honest opinion of a store that has no problems selling mold on there cigars. I'm out for the interest of cigar smoker ....smokers of this forum. If it is in the wrong manner, I'm sure Rod will delete or edit.

As far a the store doing much for the smokers of Washington....I applaud them for that but you have to admit ....They also benefit from it. Many people here and in many forums including myself has signed petition and notified their local gov. officials about the smoking bans and has done much to prevent it as well. But this is not the point.

When I was there I believe I looked into buying a Zino Chubby tubo. 3 of the 5 I looked into had mold...and I mean covered. I detected some mold also on some Avo's.. if memory serves me correctly.
That same day before discovering the mold I did ask if they had any padrons 26's (I was looking for some #35 because I didn't have much time between appointments at work) Opus XXX, or some VSG's ......nope..so I did ask! It wasn't in their small display.

Tandblov,
I not trying to offend you and if I did ...my apologies.

If you have good experiences with the vendor .....great, stay with them.

This was a sincere apology.

So.....This thread is turning into a pissing contest and I will take some blame for it. I didn't realize that I have offended people to a personal level who frequent the cigar store. I do apologize calling them "idiots" in my past post .......It was unfair and wrong to vent in that manner on a public forum.

Some months ago I did start a thread on this issue but didn't disclose the vendor because I thought it was not appropriate. Well, when you referred them as a good vendor in this thread I HAD to give my opinion on the store. It's not because I'm trying to "prop" myself in the expense of the vendor. I've been a member here for nearly 2 year and I come to this forum just about everyday. I not a post or a attention whore.....gees I only have a 150 or so post. I'm truly a read more and post less type of person ....I'm not trying to trump anyone or even draw attention to myself. I feel that you brought the vendor up and I gave a negative, TRUE, opinion of what I have experience in that store. It is an un-bias opinion of what had happened they are not lies and the picture is of their hydro in the corner of their small humidor is from their store.

You didn't state your experience. You claimed that they were idiots, which presumably you still believe. You claimed that their humidor was "Full of Mold", which it isn't. You found a moldy Zino tubo. Well, if you had actually done much reading before maligning a business, you would have learned that many many people got moldy Zino tubos all over the country. It was the fault of the manufacturer, not the stores. You came here and repeatedly claimed that they did not know the difference between mold and plume and even claimed the CAO rep didn't. Sorry pal, that don't pass the smell test. If they did say that it was because you likely came across in person how you came across here - a know it all blowhard, and they wanted nothing to do with you. You claimed they didn't have any super premiums, pure BS. They always have them. Oh, yeah, you also said that they don't know anything about how to store cigars. HOW IS THIS YOUR "EXPERIENCE"? Your entire post was suggesting that the reason people should avoid them is because they are idiots and don't know their own business demonstrated by their humidor "full of mold". Now you are apologizing for calling them idiots. I am confused. Do they still not know their own business? Has your "experience" changed? Is their humidor "full of mold"?

Your tone is what is offensive. Your implication that people who shop there don't know the difference between a moldy cigar and plume, or didn't mind moldy cigars is what is offensive. You slamming their reputation all because you got the cold shoulder, is what is offensive. Your gross exaggerations and general ignorance is what is offensive.

No need to apologize to me, I have a thick skin. You should apologize in public to RCC for slamming on their business and staff based on your own ignorance, lack of perspective, and poor behavior.

Don't worry Ulster, we are just chumps who buy moldy cigars and don't even know it...

I guess you are right - hell I have been there the past two days and just picked some really moldy cigars.

The picture is funny, I have never seen that color of wood in the shop, nor do any of their display cases look like the one in the picture. This is what their display looks like.

You are correct. I was talking to someone about this issue and pointed them to this thread and they said the same thing. That does not look anything like RCC's humidor.

Come on guy....why would I lie about this? This is a pic of their hydro, in their humidor.
And in my honest opinion ....cigars @ 77% RH will promote mold growth.

Look, ...to be frank, I understand that B&M put their hydro high because of the traffic in the store Humidor. But to get the response that I got and keep selling them moldy to other customer is not a good vendor.

The person at the register even told me a story of a customer that bought a box for a golf outing witha bunch of friends and that customer call saying that the cigars were covered with white stuff ...all over and she said she replied that it was plume and that it was a good thing. I'm not 100% sure ...but I'll bet money that it was mold.
......and this is why I'm on this thread .... to express that this store is selling moldy cigars.
Sorry, it's not a popular opinion but it is a un-bias, true one!

You didn't state your experience. You claimed that they were idiots, which presumably you still believe. You claimed that their humidor was "Full of Mold", which it isn't. You found a moldy Zino tubo. Well, if you had actually done much reading before maligning a business, you would have learned that many many people got moldy Zino tubos all over the country. It was the fault of the manufacturer, not the stores. You came here and repeatedly claimed that they did not know the difference between mold and plume and even claimed the CAO rep didn't. Sorry pal, that don't pass the smell test. If they did say that it was because you likely came across in person how you came across here - a know it all blowhard, and they wanted nothing to do with you. You claimed they didn't have any super premiums, pure BS. They always have them. Oh, yeah, you also said that they don't know anything about how to store cigars. HOW IS THIS YOUR "EXPERIENCE"? Your entire post was suggesting that the reason people should avoid them is because they are idiots and don't know their own business demonstrated by their humidor "full of mold". Now you are apologizing for calling them idiots. I am confused. Do they still not know their own business? Has your "experience" changed? Is their humidor "full of mold"?

Your tone is what is offensive. Your implication that people who shop there don't know the difference between a moldy cigar and plume, or didn't mind moldy cigars is what is offensive. You slamming their reputation all because you got the cold shoulder, is what is offensive. Your gross exaggerations and general ignorance is what is offensive.

No need to apologize to me, I have a thick skin. You should apologize in public to RCC for slamming on their business and staff based on your own ignorance, lack of perspective, and poor behavior.

I confronted them in a tactful manner...didn't make a scene or anything. It obvious that you don't want to listen and that's fine but the only one who is being offensive is you. You have said nothing in their response in saying that mold is plume....I guess you agree?

I don't owe RCC a bit of an apologize ...other than maybe calling them idiots...as far as their business....my experience with them tells it all. You can call me a liar I really don't care at this point. Keep you bias attitude and again, if you have a good experience with them great!

I'm really done with this so you can be angry all you want!

I gave an honest opinion of a store that has no problems selling mold on there cigars
. I'm out for the interest of cigar smoker ....smokers of this forum. If it is in the wrong manner, I'm sure Rod will delete or edit.

As far a the store doing much for the smokers of Washington....I applaud them for that but you have to admit ....They also benefit from it. Many people here and in many forums including myself has signed petition and notified their local gov. officials about the smoking bans and has done much to prevent it as well. But this is not the point.

When I was there I believe I looked into buying a Zino Chubby tubo. 3 of the 5 I looked into had mold...and I mean covered. I detected some mold also on some Avo's.. if memory serves me correctly.

That same day before discovering the mold I did ask if they had any padrons 26's (I was looking for some #35 because I didn't have much time between appointments at work) Opus XXX, or some VSG's ......nope..so I did ask! It wasn't in their small display.

So, now they have unscrupulous business practices? They don't care about selling moldy cigars? Huh?

Who do you think has been spending thousands of dollars on lobbying work in Olympia since the ban started? You? Who do you think started the petition? Just some of us guys sitting around Smokey Joe's some afternoon? No. It was the owner and principles of RCC who reached out and started a coalition of retailers and consumers. I don't see your name on the list. Making a phone call and getting your buddies to sign is a good thing, but stop trying to compare yourself to their efforts. Oh, and HOW have they benefited from the ban? Did you even know that Joe, the co-owner, owned and operated the Wooly Toad cigar lounge which had to shut its doors due to the ban? Nope, I doubt it. So perhaps you could explain how he benefited from the pathetic and unamerican ban we have. What efforts you have done personally that will compare to the efforts of the owners and employees of RCC in addition to all the effort of those other retail B&M's in Seattle that you think are bad.

I have always found 1926's there, I have always found VSG's there. I have always found Opus there. At Christmas, they almost always have a box of Hemi Maduros, Anejos, Opus, etc open.

I think your really avoiding the main point.....mold being told to customers as plume???

I think your really avoiding the main point.....mold being told to customers as plume???

I guess thats cause they are idiots and unethical, right? Not, that they didn't want to deal with some blowhard know-it-all that is "telling" them about their tubo "mold problem" while they are doing business with a cigar rep.

Where are all of these other customerS that have had such problems?

I guess thats cause they are idiots and unethical, right? Not, that they didn't want to deal with some blowhard know-it-all that is "telling" them about their tubo "mold problem" while they are doing business with a cigar rep.

......well?, mold being told to customers as plume??

I'm a "know it all blowhard".....LOL ...thanks and good luck to you.

......well?, mold being told to customers as plume??

I'm a "know it all blowhard".....LOL ...thanks and good luck to you.

Never seen it, never heard about it, I don't believe your story or your conclusions. The other guys who have chimed in here as well haven't exactly echoed your sentiment.

Wow, this one blew up before I could get back with a report. First the facts.

I did not see any hygrometers like the one in your picture. This one most closely resembles the ones I saw in their shelves. The humidifiers are tucked into the lower-right corner of the top half of each of the cabinets, these read at 64-67% and 59-72 degrees. I would readily accept the temperature difference because the front door is in a corner of the room, and constant opening would certainly change the temp in that area. There was no camera shot available. Partially mitigating factor: In the "Top Shelf" portion of the cabinet (the lower shelf of the right-side cabinet) there is a CAO Odyssey humi that has a white display similar to what you pictured. This display show's the CAO's internal readings. At the time of my inspection, it read 53% Closer inspection indicates that this is NOT the hygrometer that you showed. Their top shelf selection was the best "in the open" that I have seen in this state: 4 sizes VSG, ESG#20, 5 sizes of '64s, 26 #9s, Don Carlos, Hemingway, 100 Anos, and LFD Mysterio is the short list. Inquiry brought out Hemingway masterpiece MADUROS from 07 christmas shipment and Padron 80ths from the back. Close inspection revealed small amounts of plume in both boxes.

As far as the staff goes, I chatted a bit with both desk people for about 5 minutes apiece. Reasonably knowledgeable, no immediate signs of idiocy, and they were pretty relaxed and confident when I inspected the Hemmingways and Padrons. The back room door was open, and showed 3 people hard at work at desks and phones working the reps hard. (Yeah, I eavesdrop, so what) In the website pictures, I believe this is the lounge area before "prohibition".

For informations sake, there are still 7 Hemi Masterpiece Maduros left, and they are in absolutely pristine condition. Considering recent QC problems with Fuente product, or shipping thereof, I am highly amazed at how good the Hemi looks.

Now for the bad news. Flea, I'm sorry to say that your story doesn't hold water. It may have held water "months ago" as you state, I've only been frequenting the store for about 3 months now, so I can't comment prior to that. I certainly understand that you had a concern, and wanted to warn people. When you are wrong in the present about something though, you're gonna be in the doghouse for a little while (TB has seen to that already I see.). Take it well, and come back strong. As I said, I can't state about the past, but in RCC's present incarnation, I must give them 100% props for their store.

ETA: Evidence on next page.