• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bell's Expedition Stout

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
Another big beer review in an attempt to help catch Ray and his reviews. Alright, that might not happen but a review none the less! :laugh: Got this as part of a Midwest care package from Aventinus, thanks Pete! Although there was no date on the bottle, I am guessing it was fairly fresh.

An excellent brewery out of Michigan, I have recently had the opportunity to sample several of their offerings including the famed Hop Slam which I will review soon.
About Bell's:

Bell's Brewery, Inc. formerly Kalamazoo Brewing Company, founded by Larry Bell as a home-brewing supply shop in 1983, sold its first beer in 1985. Originally brewing in a 15-gallon soup kettle, the company has grown remarkably from its production of 135 barrels (1 bbl = 31 gal.) in 1986 to over 90,000 barrels in 2007. Bell's Brewery has grown from a tiny operation renting part of a former plumbing supply warehouse to a bustling, regional craft brewery. Over twenty years of brewing, Bell's Brewery has built a nationwide reputation as a creative and talented brewery, playing a significant role in changing the beerscape of the nation.
Big Beer Review Series:
Beer: Bell's Expedition Stout
Type: Russian Imperial Stout
Origin: Bell's Brewery, Inc. Kalamazoo, Michigan
ABV: 10.5%
Price: $15/Sixer
Rarity: 2/10 – Winter Release

185448.jpg

Setting/Pairing:Poured into a smaller brandy type snifter and enjoyed in the man room while watching the Nuggets get pounded by the Bulls.

Appearance: Pours a viscous black with an airy light one finger cappuccino colored head.

Nose: Deep dark roasted malt, sweet molasses, coffee. Very full, appetizing nose.

Taste: Dark bittersweet chocolate is first present on the tongue balanced nicely with soft dark fruit and followed by a slightly bitter long coffee bean finish. Very nice somewhat subtle but full flavor.

Mouthfeel: The light carbonation enhances the feel, creamy and viscous, coats the mouth nicely. Not the thickest RIS I have had, but about the standard I would expect from this style.

Drinkability:
ABV was noticeable as it warmed but it was quite drinkable despite that. Match the ABV with the full flavor and if you really wanted to you could probably drink 2 in a sitting, but its no doubt a warming sipper.

Final Comments: Very good offering from Bell's, a classic example of what a good RIS should be. If I could find it locally it would be a staple six pack in my fridge despite the price tag which has almost come to be expected with the recent craze for high ABV beers.The best part is it is fairly easy to find and should be readily available to those of you up north.

Serving type: bottle

Rating: B+ / 4 of 5 -- look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 3.5

There's not much a true Buckeye will admit to liking in Michigan... but Bell's Brewing certainly changes things. So Tasty!

Glad you enjoyed it. It was indeed this years version. Bell's doesn't date their beer, but they put a batch number on the bottle that can be looked up on their website.

I've been on a Bell's kick lately. I drank the Third Coast Old Ale for the first time this weekend. What a malt bomb. I don't know why I haven't tried it before!

I love Bells. I make the trip up to Kalamazoo about once a year. Wish the brewpub had better food though. :whistling:

Sounds delicious! I might have to bust open the one bottle that I have tonight.

If I could find it locally it would be a staple six pack in my fridge despite the price tag which has almost come to be expected with the recent craze for high ABV beers.

Too true! Any more, $15 for a sixer is a budget beer almost.

If I could find it locally it would be a staple six pack in my fridge despite the price tag which has almost come to be expected with the recent craze for high ABV beers.

Too true! Any more, $15 for a sixer is a budget beer almost.

Every time my dad comes over to watch a game (which is often) he opens the beer fridge and says. "Do you have anything in here that isn't $10 a bottle??" My answer is usually no, but I recently started keeping a sixer of bud ice in the crisper for him. :laugh: