• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Berto vs. Ortiz

touchemup

Last night I was treated to a classic welter weight title fight that that is easily a fight of the year frontrunner! Questions regarding Ortiz' heart and Berto's elite ranking were put to rest as both men gave HBO subscribers there money's worth. Nonstop action and world class skills demonstrated there is life for the "sweet science" despite the lack of of credible heavyweights.

It was a slugfest to say the least. It wasn't really a technical display of boxing skills but just an all out brawl from the opening bell. It's fights like these that change fighters careers. I never liked any of the Golden Girl bred, over-hyped boxers, especially this one. My respect level for Ortiz went up after seeing what he could do at this heavier weight class. Berto seemed like he fed into all the hype everyone in the boxing world was saying to him before this fight. Everyone was saying that Ortiz isn't and never will be on the same level as an Andre Berto. I don't think he took this fight serious enough. Or maybe the book is out on Berto? Either way, it was a hell of a fight.

...despite the lack of of credible heavyweights.

There are 2 more than credible heavyweights at the top of the hill in the Klitschko brothers. They're taking on all comers and beating all comers. If they were American boxers always fighting in America then they would be some of the best heavyweight champions of all time. But since almost all of their fights are abroad, all of their achievements and winnings gets downplayed tremendously.

That was a great fight. There sure were a lot of knock downs in the fight. I love watching boxing on HBO in High Definition. The replays really look sweet in slow-mo

Showtime had a fight card last night as well where Juan Manuel Lopez fought Orlando Solis. The fight was stopped prematurely in my opinion as he was still defending himself and throwing punches. I just hope this loss doesn't derail the summertime showdown he was going to have against Yuriokis Gamboa.