• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best aging CCs

wkoti

Flaky McFlakerton
Alright, I have a project I'm looking to start and I would like a couple opinions from those with more knowledge than myself. My question is, what is the best aging CC brand and size. My research shows that CCs age very well if not the best out of all the countries of origin as well as the larger the cigar the better it will hold up. So I guess the real questions lie with; What holds up the best? What retains the most flavor? What do you guys buy to put down for a long period of time? What needs to sleep to really come into it's prime? I know I'm going to get both ends of the spectrum and everything in between, but I guess that's the point. I'm not as well versed in CCs as I am in NCs, so any knowledge helps. I'm not looking for a different cigar for each question, just a cigar/cigars that best meets those requirements.

Thank you in advance, 

CJ

It's variable, even year by year as it's an organic product.

There are some machine mades that age fantastic, as well as small sticks.

Get what you like and see what happens.

wkoti said:
Alright, I have a project I'm looking to start and I would like a couple opinions from those with more knowledge than myself. My question is, what is the best aging CC brand and size. My research shows that CCs age very well if not the best out of all the countries of origin as well as the larger the cigar the better it will hold up. So I guess the real questions lie with; What holds up the best? What retains the most flavor? What do you guys buy to put down for a long period of time? What needs to sleep to really come into it's prime? I know I'm going to get both ends of the spectrum and everything in between, but I guess that's the point. I'm not as well versed in CCs as I am in NCs, so any knowledge helps. I'm not looking for a different cigar for each question, just a cigar/cigars that best meets those requirements.

Thank you in advance, 

CJ
Hi there, I won't pretend to be a sage, but IMO, your premise on size/retention needs addressing. I would not say a larger cigar ages better. Like Gary randomly guessed, a better blend with good tobacco ages better than a crappy blend with crappy tobacco, which is just as important as the storage conditions.

Generally, the stronger the cigar, the longer it will need for the tannins and strength to dissipate. Like wine, you have to try the cigar first to see if there is enough "fruit" to outlast the "body" - if you will - for aging. However, cigars age differently. Whereas most will quite down the tannin and show the flavors, some will evolve, and others will transform. This would be a function of time and storage conditions. This - I believe - is why we just end up buying/hoarding anything and everything.

I appreciate the information on the size, I thought it kind of weird because I'm my experiences some of the smaller cigars are much more dangerous or powerful than their larger counterpart, such as Opus. That's why I asked, sort for clarification or confirmation. I do appreciate you correcting my misinformation.

As far as Gary's comment, I normally know what I like when it comes to CCs, but I rarely get CCs with a lot of age. I find it challenging to dislike any CCs in specific, I will avoid certain ones based on size, shape or price but normally not because I disliked it's flavors. I enjoy Cohiba Maduro 5s but I know they came out in 2007 and no one will know how the evolved in 25 years until 2032ish. But I know many of our current members have and smoke aged CCs on a regular basis and I was looking for their insight on what has held up to the test of time.

If we knew which cigars...don't you think we'd be buying them and not just 'hoarding', as was randomly suggested!

;)

Taste is relative to the individual as you know... but with that said;
In my limited experience PSD4s & Por Larranaga's RE Asia Pacifica Belicoso are consistently a couple of great aging smokes.
On the pricey end, the Por Larranaga RE Regalis de londres are another that should be fantastic with age, there damn good now. I have been told to be cautious of the location these are obtained though (mine are/were great??).

I'll throw one out there... One I tend to like is the Romeo y Julieta Petite Corona.  It get's real smooth and creamy, but you might be able to argue it was fairly smooth and creamy to begin with.

My recent experience:

2005 H. Upmann Magnum 46 - Too subtle, too refined
2007 Punch Churchill - Still a Punch Churchill and nothing more.  Has aged well, but doesn't deliver the complexity I would hope for in an aged cigar.
2003 Le Hoyo des Dieux - Haven't had a young one, but this is a cigar that has all the things we look for in a well-aged cuban cigar - not weak due to over aging, balance, well integrated complexity, burn.  CJ - We should get together and smoke one of these.

Come to think of it, we should collaborate on this project.  I'm going deep on Cohiba 1966s and Siglo VIs, Partagas Lusitanias and 898s, and H. Upmann Sir Winstons.  And I've got 49 more Hoyo des Dieux to see if the second ten years is as good as the first.

wkoti

it is an inexact science to say the least...if you ever do find a for sure method to determine which cigars will age the best...please let me know.

yearly i go to cuba and smoke young cigars ...i like to call it "looking for promise". i will say this...after smoking 3 upmann half coronas...i got 6 boxes to age.
last august i opened a box...at barely a year old...i believe...best new release from hsa ever...and i believe will age nicely in the long run.

derrek

GIggity giggity Derrek, I've been trying to get me a box of H. Upmann Half Coronas for months. I actually found a box, but it was confiscated. Please let me know how those age, I'm quite interested!

Now the most interesting discussion that had arisen from that (sorry for the tangent) was, are the recent production cigars from the island too "approachable" to be aged?

IMHO, of course

What holds up the best? Cohiba Robustos

What retains the most flavor? Cohiba Robustos

What do you guys buy to put down for a long period of time? Cohiba Robustos

What needs to sleep to really come into it's prime? Cohiba Robustos, Bolivar Corona Gigantes, Sir Winnies, Partagas Lusitanias and Cohiba Siglo VI.

And my vote for the most improved with many years of age....... Cohiba Robustos