• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best Drink for Cigars

oracle202

Reaction score
Quick note: Can't figure out how to get the all the images to show up properly in these posts yet, so if you want to see images, visit the original post.
fernet2.jpg

Fernet con Coca + Cigar = Heaven

You really don’t know what you’re missing. Neither did I, until a recent trip to Argentina opened my eyes to what has to be one of the best marriages of drink and smoke ever. Late one night in a smokey club in Neuquen, a city in the south-west region (Patagonia, some call it), my brother in law orders us two drinks. Fernet con Coca. “Dos, por favor.”

“What is it?” I asked.

“It's the drink.” He replies utilizing 80% of his English vocabulary in one sentence. And he’s right, in a way. It is the drink. In Argentina, it is the national alcoholic beverage of choice. It is made with two simple ingredients: A shot of Fernet-Branca – an italian herbal digestif seriously high in alcohol content – and Coca-Cola. You start with a tall collins glass, fill to the brim with large ice cubes. Fill 1/10th with Fernet and the rest with Coke. The combination, for some reason unknown to me, creates a much thicker head of fizz than usual. Fernet is a type of amaro, a bitter, aromatic spirit. It is made from a number of different herbs and spices including myrrh, rhubarb, chamomile, cardamom, aloe, and saffron, with a base of grape distilled spirits.

The taste the Fernet imparts to the Coke is uncannily smokey. You can taste wood, especially cedar, along with tea leaves and dry earth. This is delicately framed by the sweetness of the Coke to create, in my opinion, a great addition to a smoke. Because the flavors of the Fernet are very broad, they don’t distract from the flavors of the cigar. In fact, they almost force your palate to get into the “zone” where you start to taste those nuances you read about in Cigar Aficionado. Aberrations of orange peel, currant, wheat, honey; things many of the smokers I know say they have yet to taste, begin to appear on your tongue as bright and clear as day.

Of course, when I got back to the states, the first thing I went looking for was Fernet-Branca. Can it be found easily? Hell, yes. In fact the very first liquor store I visited had it. It is also easy to find at online retailers. The going price is around $24, which is fine considering you only need to use very little at a time.

Well you sold me... I'm gonna pick up a bottle and try this stuff for myself. :thumbs:

Fernet is awesome. A friend of mine, after giving me about a bagillion drinks and I started complaining about feeling sick, said "do a shot of this! it will help I swear!" I'll be damned if my stomach didn't feel better in minutes.

I like it for shots, its like a sophisticated Jaeger (which is like sugar/syrup to me).

Thanks for posting - this sounds really interesting. I searched for a bottle and a Liquor store across from where I work has a bottle in.

Side note; I hate WA State Liquor store. Prices are getting as high as those found in British Columbia and the selection is piss-poor.

Interesting. Sounds delicious. I really have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing. Now, I'm off to find a bottle.

Just found it at Sherry-Lehmann for $29 a bottle.

$29 a bottle? Not too bad.

I have been enjoying my cigars with coke and rums; maybe I'll give this one a try.

Quick note: Can't figure out how to get the all the images to show up properly in these posts yet, so if you want to see images, visit the original post.
fernet2.jpg

Fernet con Coca + Cigar = Heaven

You really don’t know what you’re missing. Neither did I, until a recent trip to Argentina opened my eyes to what has to be one of the best marriages of drink and smoke ever. Late one night in a smokey club in Neuquen, a city in the south-west region (Patagonia, some call it), my brother in law orders us two drinks. Fernet con Coca. “Dos, por favor.”

“What is it?” I asked.

“It's the drink.” He replies utilizing 80% of his English vocabulary in one sentence. And he’s right, in a way. It is the drink. In Argentina, it is the national alcoholic beverage of choice. It is made with two simple ingredients: A shot of Fernet-Branca – an italian herbal digestif seriously high in alcohol content – and Coca-Cola. You start with a tall collins glass, fill to the brim with large ice cubes. Fill 1/10th with Fernet and the rest with Coke. The combination, for some reason unknown to me, creates a much thicker head of fizz than usual. Fernet is a type of amaro, a bitter, aromatic spirit. It is made from a number of different herbs and spices including myrrh, rhubarb, chamomile, cardamom, aloe, and saffron, with a base of grape distilled spirits.

The taste the Fernet imparts to the Coke is uncannily smokey. You can taste wood, especially cedar, along with tea leaves and dry earth. This is delicately framed by the sweetness of the Coke to create, in my opinion, a great addition to a smoke. Because the flavors of the Fernet are very broad, they don’t distract from the flavors of the cigar. In fact, they almost force your palate to get into the “zone” where you start to taste those nuances you read about in Cigar Aficionado. Aberrations of orange peel, currant, wheat, honey; things many of the smokers I know say they have yet to taste, begin to appear on your tongue as bright and clear as day.

Of course, when I got back to the states, the first thing I went looking for was Fernet-Branca. Can it be found easily? Hell, yes. In fact the very first liquor store I visited had it. It is also easy to find at online retailers. The going price is around $24, which is fine considering you only need to use very little at a time.

Hey this is not bad at all.. I like it alot.. Thanks,

So, I have tried something, before and I recommended it, it's worth a try.

Horchata and any good Dominican Cameroon, Nic puro, or CC. Horchata is a Mexican rice/milk drink flavored with cinnamon. It's sweetness and cinnamon and milk flavor compliment a good stogie well. U can pick it up in powder form and just add water or milk in your market's ethnic foods section. Yumm.

Ceasar.

Horchata and any good Dominican Cameroon, Nic puro, or CC. Horchata is a Mexican rice/milk drink flavored with cinnamon. It's sweetness and cinnamon and milk flavor compliment a good stogie well. U can pick it up in powder form and just add water or milk in your market's ethnic foods section. Yumm.

Ceasar.

Great minds and all that...

;)

Just bought a bottle of Fernet-Branca ($36--was I the victim of Fernet-noob gouging?) and poured a bit over ice and Diet Coke on top of it. Not smoking right now but I can see how it would probably pair nicely with a cigar. I'm still trying to figure out what I think of the drink itself, though I suspect that I like it. Further testing will be needed...

My wife thinks it smells like Cepacol mouthwash.

I think I might have to sample a bottle. I found it on the website for the liquor commission here, and a 500ml bottle was about $19 CAD. Not an expensive experiment. Now... do they have any in stock :)

edit for spelling

Ceasar.

Great minds and all that...

;)

I first got the idea as I had an Xlarge cup of the stuff from my wife's family's mexican food joint. Good stuff.

You run a web development company, but can't figure out image tags?:)sign:)

Anyways, sounds like an interesting combo, I'll have to look into it once I can legally drink here in 7 months or so.

$29 a bottle? Not too bad.

I have been enjoying my cigars with coke and rums; maybe I'll give this one a try.

Same here brother, my favorite drink is coke and rum. My favorite alcohol is rum. But I probably won't try this and stick with me rum. But who knows, Christmas is coming.

Shamrocker,

Come on over when you can.. I picked up a bottle on my lunch today.... lets give it a whirl :)

I just found this after 3 months of looking thanks to your post. Will update you all once I try it with a smoke.