• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best hand gun for concealed carry?

I think the .40 is the way to go. Very similar in size to the .45 but my .40 holds 17 at all times. 17 +P rounds will get the job done in any situation, not to mention I carry another magazine of 16. So 33 rounds, uh yeah that should do.

I know price is always a deciding factor in everything but sometimes for a bit more, or less in some cases you will find a gun that suits you and like was said earlier..you are accurate with.  That being said I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II Tactical.  For around 500 I would look at Springfield XD.  I have carried their subcompact .40 and loved it.  I also recently bought a S & W MP .40 compact that is a great gun in between the 500-600 dollar range.  I also have an S&W airweight .38 that I carry when the attire requires it.  After getting my renewal for my CHL I made the decision to try and carry my 1911 more but on occasion I will switch to a lower caliber (mostly due to clothing options).

General rules for gun buying in my opinion:
-buy something you can depend your life on
-buy something you have access to ammo to put in it (nowadays you have to buy based on ammo supply)
-buy something you'll carry (i.e. not too heavy, etc...)
-buy something your're accurate with (the reason i bought the S&W MP is because the guy let me shoot it first, customer service goes a long way)

My favorite off-duty weapon that I've owned has been the S & W Chief's Special .45. Compact, accurate, powerful. You might have to find a slightly used one to get it under $500 but check it out if you get a chance.

I carry a Springfield Arms XD40 Subcompact. on my right ankle. Its a little heavy for as small as it is. BUT its badass, and got tons of POWER. If you miss your target they are still gonna fall over from the shock wave haha.

If I remember correctly my XD was around $550 Shipped to the dealer all the register crap fees, and my ankle holster. I came with 2 clips a 12 round, and a 9 round, and a re loader. I bought a extended finger grip for the end of the 9 round clip. (other wise you feel like a dumbass holding it with three fingers.)

It boils down to one BIG thought, using it. Carrying it is not the big deal, even the weapon is not the big deal, but are you really prepared to use it in deadly force if push came to shove?

Yes I'm licensed, yes I own a 9mm and a 40mm and they are with me at most times. However, if you ever go to use it, it shouldn't be the time to hope to scare the crape out of that person, if you pull it you are going to shoot to kill. That is not something that is common to us and I've had to have several personal thought sessions with myself as to the consequences.

My real concern is, am I smart enough to know at the time if this is really the time to draw or not. Personally, I hope to never find out.

extremeXconcepts said:
I carry a Springfield Arms XD40 Subcompact. on my right ankle. Its a little heavy for as small as it is. BUT its badass, and got tons of POWER. If you miss your target they are still gonna fall over from the shock wave haha.

If I remember correctly my XD was around $550 Shipped to the dealer all the register crap fees, and my ankle holster. I came with 2 clips a 12 round, and a 9 round, and a re loader. I bought a extended finger grip for the end of the 9 round clip. (other wise you feel like a dumbass holding it with three fingers.)
On your ankle? Damn I don't think I could have carried mine on my ankle.  Definitely need the extended finger grip on the magazine. 

I have an XDM 3.8 Compact 9MM. There is no way I could or would put that on my ankle. Now, my XDS.....maybe.

extremeXconcepts said:

M-1 Garands us clips.  Semi-auto pistols use magazines.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine and not just "something else to ride your ass about".  It's like nails on a chalkboard to me!  :p

I have a Benelli Nova Tactical for home defense. 

Pug - I hope I never have to use it.  

Broblues - Not really sure yet, still looking at the many options available. 

Thanks again for all of the feedback, couldn't ask for better information!

Really the first week I carried it on my ankle it was a little awkward but I think anything would be at first. Its been about 4 yrs and I carry everyday. I guess its just part of my morning ritual now and I think nothing of it. If I do for some reason leave it off to go to a school even with my daughter or something I feel naked.

I have to tell you Rod, your best bet is trying them on for size and comfort.  Hopefully your dealer will let you.  Like cigars, we all have different tastes and guns are no different.  One that shoots well, tucks well under clothing or in your pocket is a personal choice.  Don't be in a hurry. 

It has all been covered very well by others. There are no, "nothing beats a..." or "brand xyz is the best." I have a small Kahr 9mm that I usually carry, in addition to a Colt defender (.45) and a Ruger LCP (.380). For my the Kahr isn't as easy to conceal as the LCP, but isn't as heavy as the Defender. However, it is the one I am the most accurate with and the double-action only gives me a feeling of a measure of safety.

Some ranges rent out firearms.

Though far from all-inclusive, I found the following image helpful when I began searching for concealment handguns:

PocketAutoComparison.jpg

GMAN21 said:
I carry the H&K P2000. It's perfect for CC in size and weight, it's also a 9MM. They make a smaller version of it also, a P2000SK

Rod said:
Rod,
How difficult is it to obtain a conceal carry license in California?

It depends on what county you live. Luckily, I'm in the more less restrictive county (San Bernardino). You just need to go before the sheriff (or chief) and go through an interview. As long as you have a reason to carry, they'll issue it.

How hard is it to get a carry permit in LA county? What's the interview proces like? Will a carry permit from another state give any edge?And can you easily get 10rd mags for an M-9 and PX-4 Storm at local gun stores? Thx.

siriusstoogie said:

I carry the H&K P2000. It's perfect for CC in size and weight, it's also a 9MM. They make a smaller version of it also, a P2000SK

Rod said:

Rod,

It depends on what county you live. Luckily, I'm in the more less restrictive county (San Bernardino). You just need to go before the sheriff (or chief) and go through an interview. As long as you have a reason to carry, they'll issue it.

How hard is it to get a carry permit in LA county? What's the interview proces like? Will a carry permit from another state give any edge?And can you easily get 10rd mags for an M-9 and PX-4 Storm at local gun stores? Thx.

Joe...move to Texas...You're practically born with a license here. :cool:

Move to Vermont. You don't need one at all.

Doc

chiefmd said:

Rod said:

Rod,

Joe...move to Texas...You're practically born with a license here. :cool:

:thumbs:

Devil Doc said:
Move to Vermont. You don't need one at all.

Doc
Doc, seriously?

VT If i'm not mistaken you don't need a permit and its open carry? my uncle lives there and I am pretty sure this is what he told me a few yrs back.

Any Law abiding citizen can carry a concealed weapon in the Great State of Vermont, land of my birth, without any kind of permit. No such thing exists. Vermont has no gun laws other than the Federal laws all states must abide by. They do have Fish and Game laws, only one that I can think of, you can't hunt deer with a .22 rimfire. The funny thing is, and I know a lot of people back home, own land there, no one I know does.

Doc
PS. There's only one flatlander from Ct. you should pay any mind to. His name is Ethan Allen.