• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bi-Pass Surgery

benjiev

"The Honorable"
My Father is having open heart surgery this morning. We're waiting here in the family lounge for the surgeon to finish. Have any of you had family members or friends go through this. He is having a triple bi-pass.

Thanks for your input the waiting is excrutiating!

BenjieV

Never been through it. Best of luck and godspeed to you, your family and especially your father.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Ben!

I have not had a family member go through it but hope all goes well.

I have a co-worker that had a triple done this morning. Seems to be a comin thing.

Last Christmas, my dad had a triple... would have been 4 way, but the 4th was too clogged to do anything with.

What I learned then, and reaffirmed now... advancement in technology is a great thing! No worries mate, he'll be feeling better than he did in years ;)

My dad still complains of soreness in his chest, even after a year...but the trade-off has been more than worth it.

He spent his entire life with over-the-top blood pressure, and when they did the surgery, were amazed he was still kicking. The LEAST blocked valve was 80% blocked.

Hang in there bruddah, and the best thing you can do for him (asuming you're living in the vacinity) is encourage him during the rehab period (next several months).

Mine is back on the golf course Monday-Friday :thumbs:

Thanks for all your support, it really helps! Great news the doctor just finished visiting with us and it looks as everything went real well. We will get to see him in about 30 minutes.

I'll keep you posted. PStan all the best to your co-worker I wish him a speedy recovery!

BenjieV

My dad had quadruple by-pass about 15 years ago, stone ages medically speaking, and has had no ill effects. The surgery is a whole lot easier on the body and the medications are much better too. That surgery is a very commonly performed procedure, and is very simple for surgeons today. Infection will be more of a concern than anything heart related. No surgery or any medical procedure is not without inherent risks, but under normal circumstances this surgery is routinely successful!! Hang in bro and try to relax!! Take care....Prayers and thoughts will follow...

I hope all is well Ben, I'll keep the prayer chain going untill it is.

Glad to hear this went well. My fathe-in-law had it 12 years ago and he definitely felt better afterwards!

Had it myself in '92. Lucky they caught it before there was any damage (i.e. heart attack. And it was only a single, with a smaller collateral artery as well. No chest pain for the last 14 years. :thumbs:
About 7 weeks recovery period. :(

Had a stress test last year, no signs of any blockage. All the best to you and your family (and, of course, to the guy that got sliced).

Hey, Benjiev, if you have any specific questions about the surgery, shoot me a PM. I am not an expert on the subject, but I am an assistant in the operating room doing open heart surgery. I did 2 today, and have 3 scheduled for tomorrow. Typical days for me anymore.

ALostTexan

My grandfather had a quad bypass 2 years ago. He lost a lot of weight, and it took him almost a full year to get all of his energy back, but he's doing great now. Amazing what they can do these days.

Eric

Unfortunately, my uncle had a triple bypass last August. The surgery went well, but I say unfortunately because he died 4 days ago.

He went to sleep Saturday night and didn't wake up. My aunt is crushed. Other members of my immediate family are on their way to console her right now.

She has other family with her now, and the whole community and church are rallying around her too.

I hope your dad has great success and a full recovery afterwards!

Sorry for being such a downer...

Sorry for your loss Aaron, my prayers are with you and your family as well tonight.

I've only known one person to have any type of bypass and he did great. You've got CPer's all over praying for him. Since I've already had my first minor heart attack, I figure my bypass will come in the next 10-15 years. Heart problems suck....

You profile says your 22 dude. How do you even know you had a heart attack already? Not flaming but really curious.

KayakinBoy said:
Since I've already had my first minor heart attack, I figure my bypass will come in the next 10-15 years. Heart problems suck....
[snapback]157498[/snapback]​

Sorry to be late comming in on this. Hope all is well Benjie.

My father has had angioplasty, a double bypass, and then a couple years ago a triple bypass. They all went well and he seems to be on a pretty reliable 9 year schedule for heart maintenance procedures. :)

This last time the two bi-passes they put in previosly were the ones plugged and had to be bi-passed again. He also needed a valve repair and a cryogenic procedure of some sort as well. It all went very well though. (I was in the no active passes pass at the time if anyone remembers.) There were a couple differences this last time from the double bi-pass he had two years before that. He was nine years older, but medicine was nine years more advanced as well. They way this played out was that technically it all went well, but he was much, much weaker after it and took much longer to recover. He did though with time.

One of the things I'm ABSOLUTLY convinced of is that going to a heart institute where they do lots of procedures really made a huge difference in my fathers treatment. We live out directly in the middle of the sticks. Kansas City and Denver are both almost 350 miles away so we are directly between them. Despite this I feel it was well worth it to take him to KC for his bi-pass. We went to a more local regional facility when we were first hoping it would just be an angioplasty. That place was a scary joke. They had no idea he was comming, what he needed or anything. When we learned he would need the bi-pass we instantly chose to leave and go to the mid-america heart institute at St. Lukes in KC. They do lots of procedures there and REALLY know there stuff. I had so much confidence in everyone there right down to every nurse and NA. (Our local hospital has trouble even knowing my mothers proper pain medication schedule.) His surgeon Dr. Mulebach did three bi-passes that same day and everyone of them was at least a triple bi-pass, two of them included the valve repair. It was absolutly great and they had everything down to the last degree. I always knew what was going on, we felt very informed and involved. I really can't say enough about that place. They all really seemed to want to be there doing what they do, again unlike our local hospital.

The downside was my father is up there in age pretty good and did stay in ICU much longer then usual and stayed in the hospital longer then usual. Still it did all work out great.

I hope all is well with you and your family, please keep us informed.