• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Big burn problems with LFD DL

Michal

Turquoise Hexagon Sun
So yesterday I had after BBQ LFD DL Churchill Especial from OYA Sampler.
The taste was just like in my few previous LFD DL's, but the burn was awfull~!

One side didn't want to burn at all!
I did help myself with torching it, but after few minutes it was the same! till the end!
It was a little torment smoking it, so I had to put it down in about last 1/4

Any experiences with it? do you think it could have happed because it was in a cello for few months?
I think all this time the cigar was in the humi on its one side and I think this side didnt want to burn.
Is it possible even if I have right humidity in my humi that in cello more if it is on one side?
Or maybe its all rollers fault ?

Michal.

Have the same issue with mt box of Conorado by La Flor.

Not sure if they are just to fresh. I smoke several from my trip, I picked up from the B&M and they smoked GREAT.

Nice draw, looked good soft to the touch, but the first two out the box smoked the same, ran on one side all the way.

If it's a serious, persistent run on one side, then you might want to squeeze the area just ahead of the burn front. Chances are you'll find a spongy channel indicative of underfilled and uneven bunching in that area. These can extend most of the length of a cigar.

If it's a lagging burn as Michal found, it may well be due to uneven humidification or insufficient equilibration. This can be a result of a cigar that has spent just a short time in a new environment sitting on one side. Sometimes this happens to me if I go for a recent addition in my loose sticks box.

Wilkey

If it's a serious, persistent run on one side, then you might want to squeeze the area just ahead of the burn front. Chances are you'll find a spongy channel indicative of underfilled and uneven bunching in that area. These can extend most of the length of a cigar.

If it's a lagging burn as Michal found, it may well be due to uneven humidification or insufficient equilibration. This can be a result of a cigar that has spent just a short time in a new environment sitting on one side. Sometimes this happens to me if I go for a recent addition in my loose sticks box.

Wilkey

Wilkey, when I grow up I want to be just like you!! I find your expertise most remarkable. I cannot tell you how much I learn from you. Thanks. That is great info! :thumbs:

Oh,

I forgot to mention that burn problems from tunneling and other structural issues are really hard to deal with. Impossible in the case of a serious hollow channel. The best I've been able to do is to keep the 1" ahead of the burn in that area wet with slobber. I know. It's gross and it's distracting, but this hobby sometimes drives us to extremes. :D

A lot of this information is out there in some form or other. When it's been collected in the form of a massive and comprehensive FAQ, I've found it tedious to read. Interesting and informative but burdensome. On the other end, we sometimes find ourselves answering certain questions over and over again. And this is the other end of the communicative spectrum where we seek, through repetition and casual exposure, to embed this knowledge in the general populace.

Clearly I think too much about cigars and cigar smoking. A fact that I'm going to remedy that this afternoon with a Bolivar Royal Coronas. :D

Wilkey

Wilkey
Im not pretty sure if it was running on the one side, or lagging on the other.
I think it was some kind of mix :)

Im almost sure there was no tunnel, it had the same hardness on whole its lenght.
I think the reason of my problem was what I've bolded.
It was in my humi for about 2,5 months and Im pretty sure all this time on one side.
Hope the other LFDs from sampler will be better soon.

Ps. I forgot I kept in a humi bag with 65% boveda for about 3-4 hours before smoking in my fiances bag, and outside it was pretty hot. Is it possible that the cigar get a little sweatty?

What RH level did you store it in prior to using the bag at 65% RH and how long?

~Mark