• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Birthday Contest

jfields

Where did all my money go?
Reaction score
In the spirit of Infinitys Birthday, a contest is in order!This one is for newer all members. The winner will get a nice selection of cigars from Brian's private stash. For those of you who knew him, he smoked only the best. ;) RULES:You must have been a member of CP for at least one month and no longer than eight months as of the start of this contest.An active member during that time with at least twenty post.Can not have any prior history of asshatery/meltdowns during your time here.One post per member with no edits allowed once you post your answer.The judges will pick what they feel is the best answer and have the absolute final say.                                                            

THE CONTEST!  

Define PIF As Infinity would!Do this in three hundred words or less. If you didn't know the man, then as a newbie, do your searching on his post. :) This contest will go on for the next few days, or until interest has peaked. So, the sooner the better on getting your entries in.Brian's family (who knew him best) will be the sole judges.       Good Luck!

Unfortunately I was never graced by the ability to have met Brian, and that would have been an honor I would have greatly appreciated. I have read through various posts that he had graced CP with and have drawn a few conclusions on the kind of guy he was. To me, it almost seems like Brian would not have fully participated in a PIF. Typically, the definition of PIF would be you giving something to one person and then that person then gives something to the next, and the cycle goes on and on until at one point it gets back to the original giver. Brian seemed to be very good at one specific thing, giving. It seems as though he was never worried about receiving anything back, the joy he received from giving was more than enough so satisfy him. Just about every bomb that I've read through from Brian the recipient had no idea if it was actually Brian who sent it, it was merely speculation from the amazing selection he sent. Brian seemed to never worry about receiving anything from anyone whether it be thanks, or cigars, all he wanted to do was give. In my mind, from the brief reading I've done of his posts, his definition of PIF would not have been the typical definition, he would have said "if you have it, send it" whereas most people say "if you have it, smoke it." I write this not to win a contest, rather to express my gratitude to a man I have never met, your sincere generosity has left an impression on my life and I know it has on many others as well. I know you're in a better place now, looking down on all of us laughing because you've got the good stuff up there! I torched the Cohiba I'm smoking to you sir, thank you.

Edit to add: I know that by editing this "disqualifies" me from the competition, which is exactly why I am editing it. In the off chance that my entry was found to be the most suitable answer I would rather the cigars go to someone who knew Brian better than I, and can in turn enjoy the cigars on a much different level. So best of luck to all others who add an entry but I would officially like to pull my name from the running.

Thanks,

Kyle

PIF according to Brain...er, Brian:

To give with no expectations for reciprocity or to garner respect, favors or impress friends. It is mostly done anonymously and with little fanfare or “look at me” attitude. It is very rarely telegraphed unless it benefits the community as a whole. It is done for the sole purpose of rewarding or assisting those most deserving and when exercised is done most whole heatedly, never holding back. Cigars are not the only inclusion in this category. It is done because it can be done and it is repeated because it epitomizes CP as a whole.

Miss you Brother!

Per Ben Franklin:

"I do not pretend to give such a Sum; I only lend it to you. When you meet with another honest Man in similar Distress, you must pay me by lending this Sum to him; enjoining him to discharge the Debt by a like operation, when he shall be able, and shall meet with another opportunity. I hope it may thus go thro' many hands, before it meets with a Knave that will stop its Progress. This is a trick of mine for doing a deal of good with a little money."

PIF:

To me it's about making friends or making someone's current situation a little more enjoyable. When I send something to someone, all I ask is that they pay it forward at some time in the future. A PIF can be as simple as a PM asking how someone is, maybe a phone call or even a couple of sticks. I know this might sound corny, but it truly is the thought that counts and many times is more appreciated then what was sent.

I realize I'm not an entry, but love the contest, so I'm putting my 2 cents in.

In short: Do onto others, whether or not they do onto you is irrelevant.

All right!
I was hoping there would be more interest with the newest group of members, and a lesson for them to boot. So lets change the rules to open this up to all members of CP with more than one month and twenty post.

Anyone here, please tell us what you think would best describe the answer to the question. :cool:

My first exposure to CP was as a guest, thumbing through threads, trying to get information not only about cigars, but the community. Three months passed, then I decided to join CP. The members and interaction here was by far the best supportive and "family" atomsphere I found. Since then, I have participated in buys, trades, and a pass. I had the pleasure of communicating twice with Brian through pms, but I never had the chance to speak or meet him.

I think Brian's idea of PIF was not only in the material aspect such as cigars, but the knowledge and lessons he communicated in his posts and actions. He didn't care about what he "got" out of it, he only wanted to share and help others and not expect anything in return. When I first joined, there was three or four members here, that I would try not to miss one of their post, because what I learned from them. Brian was one. He would share his knowledge, his philosphy, and love for not only this board but his family. He made me look at my life in a different way, in a positive way, and I saw things I needed to change. He is the only man that I have never met, but I feel I owe alot to. He gave me the ultimate PIF, I better way to look at life. You ask how one man can do this for me, he did it on one thread. It was a simple contest, I didn't even participate in. It opened my eyes, at the right time. It was his generosity and a deeper lesson that I took to heart. I tell people of this event everytime they ask how I consider an online board a "family". This is the thread.

By the way, I never got to tell you, my wife enjoyed our weekend getaway and my new appreciation for her. It's still going strong.
Thanks Brian

Rich

Paying It Forward is taking the opportunity to share something with a brother whenever the occasion might arise, and whenever you are in a position to do so. It could be handing a cigar to a friend at a Herf, or pouring them a glass of fine Scotch. It might be packing something a little extra, or surprising a brother with that unexpected bomb. A genuine PIF brings as much joy to the person performing the deed, as it brings the person receiving it.

Give it away, give it away, give it away - NOW! :thumbs:

(ok, at least he's laughing!)

Sharing with others what was so freely given to you (whether it's cigars, knowledge, general kindness, etc). Paying-it-forward is humbly giving to those who deserve, while graciously thanking those who paid-it-forward to you.

Derek

=> Great contest!

Wow holy internet lagging out. Post when this goes away. It just quadruple posted what I wrote.

Wow holy internet lagging out. Post when this goes away. It just quadruple posted what I wrote.

I believe that people often become too focused on the verbiage used to convey meaning upon complex and abstract ideas. Thus, simply put:

Do ut des.

Latin: I give so that you may give.

Ummm... I tried to add another reply and it says I editted my post at a time before I posted it? The internet is a confusing series of tubes.

I hope this is still open on Sunday because I really want to add to this great idea, but will be working non stop until then.

John,

Thanks for keeping a good memory alive.

To Brian's family. We here were all blessed for his presence and we thank you for giving us the memory of him as a great man. Please know he will not be forgotten and that his life touched ours, if only for a momnet, in the same way it did yours. I only had the chance to converse via message with him a few times, but each time he was so kind to me, and so helpful. This is how I wil always know him.

"You are forgiven for your happiness and your successes only if you generously consent to share them. "

Great way to keep the memory alive here! My compliments to your concept of this contest! :D

Brian bombed me about a year ago out of the blue. I can remember opening the box and upon seeing the cigars doing a happy dance right there in front of my wife (who thought I had lost it). I sent Brian a PM thanking him sooo much for the bomb, and I didn't know what I did to deserve such excellent cigars. He said I deserved them just because.

It's great to receive such gifts out of the blue from someone you don't even know, and it's a great feeling knowing you've made someone's day, however if you instill in someone's heart to continue it on, to pass it forward, then you've truly done something incredible. I think this is one of the reasons why Cigarpass is our home, as the PIF is an integral part of this place, an integral part of us. Maybe try to take it into other parts of our lives and pass IT forward. IT being a friendly smile, warm hug, a hand for someone in need.

Pay it forward not to look at me, but to see the joy it brings them.

Jim

Edit: To add I may be disqualified because of this rule :0,

Can not have any prior history of asshatery/meltdowns during your time here

as Brian would attest to :).

I think we will close this one now. Some very nice entries. I see two that are close. I'll send my thoughts on to the judges, and they get to have the final say. :cool:

Not sure how I missed this and I know that its closed, but I wanted to give my thoughts as well to honor Brian.

I believe a PIF is a gesture of kindness that comes from a place of knowing that life is a blessing and our lives are full of blessings. With this realization comes the desire to share those blessings with others so that they may see the blessings of life as well. Sending kindness into someones life will hopefully let them see that they are loved and this kindness will inspire them to send kindness along to others as an expression of their appreciation for the kindness they were shown.

On this Board a PIF usually takes the form of cigars. In Brian's life I think it took many forms, and based upon what I have read about him and briefly experienced, I think his entire life was a PIF.