• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Birthday pipe from the wife! (w/ pics)

Q_The_Cop

Beware Clown!
My birthday was back in May, and my wife (then GF) called and said she had a present for me that she had found while she was looking around an antique shop here in town. I got home that afternoon and she handed it to me. It was a beautiful pipe inside a leather case. It had L.G.B. stamped on the side as well as printed in the felt inside the case, brass fittings and a pure amber stem, which unfortunately was broken. The mouthpiece was chipped badly and it had come loose from the original fitting to the shank. Unsmokable, but a real beauty none the less!
I cleaned it and reamed the bowl out (it had so much cake built up in it I couldn't get my pinkie in past the first knuckle!) I searched around for someone that restored pipes and was well respected, so I decided to send it to Dave at Walker Briar Works. 4 months later it was returned to me with a brand new stem, and fitting, and the best part was it fit exactly into the hard case, which I didn't send to him. Now it smokes like a dream!
I asked him if he could tell me a little bit about it because when I tried to do a search on the name all search engines returned lesbian, gay and bi smoking forums or websites. Or Lionel model trains, so it wasn't a big help. All he could tell me was that it was French and from the early 1900's. So maybe you guys could help me out with it! Oh! and I almost forgot! She only paid $30.00 for it at the antique shop!

gallery_8234_842_175410.jpg

gallery_8234_842_48587.jpg

gallery_8234_842_138279.jpg

Very nice! If Dave can't tell you any more than that, I'm inclined to believe there isn't all that much more to say about it. :laugh: Seriously, I can't find anything in my usual places.

He does great work, doesn't he?

After he sent it back, i sent him an email and told him he now has a life long customer! I had read he takes a LONG time to get it back to you, but after I saw it that wasn't a problem anymore! I bought a Cellini Original on eBay for like $4.00 a month or two ago that I'm going to send him for a new stem.

Now that is a really nice looking pipe.

Did you polish it or its it Gold leaf?

My jeweler buddy said it was brass, and it's solid. They're held on by TINY brass nails. After I reamed it and cleaned it I used the dremel and some polishing compound on the metal to make it shine. The pics don't really do the shine justice, it's really nice in person. The chamber is a lot deeper than it looks in the pics too. I can stick my entire thumb in the bowl. It holds a hell of a lot of baccy!

I noticed how the older wood seems to have more character than current wood.. Would be interesting to have it carbon 14. Dated. Very pleasing to the eye.

LGB + Pipe + Mouthpiece + Fitting. Yeah, I wouldn't try that search from the office. That is an incredible pipe though.

Hey that is a nice gift and this pipe looks so good with good shine.

That's a new design for me. I don't remember seeing one that has a brass fitting around the bowl. Very nice. I like how it adds a little style and shine to the pipe. All wood is nice, too, but this is nice in a different way. Nice find by the wife! Enjoy your smokes. :)

-John

Geez...must be too early. I thought the title of the thread was 'Wife cleans pipes for birthday' and I wasn't sure if I wanted to see the "w/pics" part.

I have to do something about this early morning dyslexia.

...headed back to bed.

Geez...must be too early. I thought the title of the thread was 'Wife cleans pipes for birthday' and I wasn't sure if I wanted to see the "w/pics" part.

I have to do something about this early morning dyslexia.

...headed back to bed.

:laugh: