• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Birthday Smoke

target

Ok just looking for some suggestions, at the end of march will be my birthday, but this weekend will be probablly my only chance to get to a B&M. So I am looking for a good stick for the occassion, I have to be fairly conservative and cannot afford a $15-20/stick. I am still in the experimental stages trying everything I can get my hand on, so any suggestions would be great. I am also recieving some HDM DS probablly tommorow so one of them might work also. Thanks just looking for some ideas.

target said:
Ok just looking for some suggestions, at the end of march will be my birthday, but this weekend will be probablly my only chance to get to a B&M. So I am looking for a good stick for the occassion, I have to be fairly conservative and cannot afford a $15-20/stick. I am still in the experimental stages trying everything I can get my hand on, so any suggestions would be great. I am also recieving some HDM DS probablly tommorow so one of them might work also. Thanks just looking for some ideas.
[snapback]294162[/snapback]​

First, Welcome to Cigar Pass!

I'll tell you what I tell others who ask the question of what cigar to smoke when celebrating a special event...Smoke something that you have already smoked and enjoyed.

"Why?", you ask? You would want to smoke something real good to celebrate with. But how can you know what is real good to you if you haven't smoked it yet? You can't really depend on someone elses' experience with any cigar. Only you are qualified to know what you like or don't like.

Would you want something to happen during that special event that would put a damper on that event? Would firing up a cigar that you have been dying to try only to find out that you don't like that cigar put a damper on that event?

For example, let's say those HDM Dark Sumatras come in and you haven't smoked any before so you don't know whether or not you will like them. You fire up a HDM DS only to find out that it's ho-hum, and not really a great cigar. It's good, but not great. Would that put a damper on your special occasion?

Why take the risk. Smoke a cigar first that you have really enjoyed in the past. Then smoke that cigar that you have been dying to smoke. If it turns out to be ho-hum or down right bad, well...you have already smoked a good cigar, right?

Enjoy that cigar what ever it may be! :)

Bigdog,

I like your advice on that, it is good logic. But at the same time I get some enjoyment out of the experience, adventure? of trying a new cigar, wether I enjoy it or cant stand it. It is the experience of exploring something new that is enjoyable. I am the kinda guy that very rarely orders something at a restaraunt that I have already ate. Your idea of smoking one I like then something new is good advice though and I thank you for your time and advice.

Target

I completely agree with BIGDOG. Friday was my birthday and I wanted to try something new, but I also wanted to enjoy whatever I smoked. Therefore, I tried something new first, VSG Wizard, then I smoked something I knew I would love, an opus. I ended up loving the Wizard and it was a great night of smoking. Hope yours is as enjoyable.

I dont know what you like, but I would suggest trying a Fuente Hemingway or an Ashton VSG. The hemingways are really pretty cheap for special occasions and the VSGs arent bad if you keep em small. If you can get your hands on an opus for 12 bucks or so then I would DEFINATELY recomend that as I am an opus man.
My .02

Hope you have a great day though. Smoke a couple and take your time.

Brandon

Thanks guys,

I have been wanting to try the ashton vsg so there is a good chance at that. Appreciate the advice from people more experienced then myself.

target said:
Bigdog,

... I am the kinda guy that very rarely orders something at a restaraunt that I have already ate. Your idea of smoking one I like then something new is good advice though and I thank you for your time and advice. ...

Well now...that's different. That's food your talking about and I do the same thing. There isn't much about food that I don't like. :laugh:

As far as cigars, there are always times to try something new. But those special events only come along every once in a while. :thumbs:

But then again, some BOTL's make every cigar they light a special event and deservedly so. :D