• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bitter wrapper (not lit)

eegeland

Reaction score
I bought 5 sample smokes from a local place that actually makes them and they all had an almost unbarably bitter taste to the wrapper. Im talking just putting the cigar in your mouth unlit... not bitter smoking. They smoked great and the smoke was tasty but every time my tongue hit the wrapper it tasted like asprin.

I took a Ciglo out of my humi yesterday and got the same thing (only not as bad) prompting me to post the question.

I bought 5 sample smokes from a local place that actually makes them and they all had an almost unbarably bitter taste to the wrapper. Im talking just putting the cigar in your mouth unlit... not bitter smoking. They smoked great and the smoke was tasty but every time my tongue hit the wrapper it tasted like asprin.

I took a Ciglo out of my humi yesterday and got the same thing (only not as bad) prompting me to post the question.

What is the question?

Ahh the joys of serendipity. My 11 year old daughter's homework for the last few nights has been on the skill of inference. ;)

My questions are:

Has this ever happened to anyone?
Does anyone know why this would occur?
Is there anything wrong with the cigar?
Would you kindly share similar experiences?
Would you kindly share suggestions on how to avoid this in the future if it is a problem?

Thanks!

From what I understand and have read, bitterness is a sign of inadequately aged tobacco.

Doc/

I have heard that when the tobacco is not cured properly you will get the bitterness but I only experienced that during the smoke not the pre light.

From what I understand and have read, bitterness is a sign of inadequately aged tobacco.

Doc/
Agreed; and could also include incomplete fermentation. Both of these would tend to show up in the smoke as well. How was the burn? Poorly, or rather unevenly, fermented leaf will tend to burn poorly as well.

Yes, they all burned uneven and had to be re-lit multiple times.

You guys used the terms fermentation, cured, and aged, leaving me a little confused regarding when in the life of the leaf this happend. I still have one of them... is letting it age a year in my humi worth a try or was the damage done before it was even rolled.

Its a very interesting topic I may research.

Yes, they all burned uneven and had to be re-lit multiple times.

You guys used the terms fermentation, cured, and aged, leaving me a little confused regarding when in the life of the leaf this happend. I still have one of them... is letting it age a year in my humi worth a try or was the damage done before it was even rolled.

Its a very interesting topic I may research.

Letting it rest can't hurt.