• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Black, Gold, and Blue

Gonz

Ultra Runner
I've always enjoyed Johnny Walker Black Label, as it's my staple drink almost every night. And I've always wanted to try Gold and Blue Label, however I've never wanted to drop the $$ on a bottle of those without knowing how good they really are. Well, that's not a problem anymore, since, a big thanks to AVB, I rec'd samples of Gold and Blue in a retaliation bomb two weeks ago. And now I also don't have to worry about how good they are for the money, because they are fantastic.

What this really should be called is "Smooth, Smoother, and Smoothest!"

Or my favorite line from MASH - "Not enough O's in Smoooooooth"

Black Label - A great blended scotch whiskey value. The dark amber color in the glass is a hint at what's to come. It's a somewhat smokey (but not overpowering) deep taste, which is not too complex but just right, which I really enjoy as it allows me to concentrate on enjoying my drink instead of analyzing it. For all those who are Red Label fans, I find this to be light years more enjoyable, for only a small difference in price.

Gold Label - While looking at all three drinks in front of me, and trying to distiguish the nose of each, the Gold Label really stood out. It was smoother on the nose (as well as the palate), but the hints of honey and flowers were obvious. The initial taste seemed more smokey than the Black Label, however it also seemed to have alot more going on as well. And along with all this it was much more smooth. After allowing this to thoroughly coat my mouth, I noticed the complexity and taste that lingered. A very enjoyable glass of scotch overall, and I will be looking to add a bottle to my bar soon.

Blue Label - And then on to the champion. The aromas of this glass again were more smooth than the other two, and contained smoke and oak, with a hint of the flowers in the Gold Label. While looking at all three in the glasses one thing I didn't see much (and perhaps it was too small a volume) was difference in color. My first taste was filled with the flavors of smoke, nuts and malt, and I didn't want it to end! It again was very smooth, more so than either of the other two contestants. Each subsequent sip brought out more flavor, mostly smoke and flower (as from the Gold Label), and it occured to me that I would need to pay full attention to this drink until the very end. The Blue Label will someday find a spot in my bar, and it will most likely remain there for quite some time, as this drink really demands full attention that I don't always have to give. But for those special nights when all else has faded, this will be my drink of choice.

Overall, I noticed a similar base flavor or taste between all three. As if each subsequent bottle is an improvement over the previous. But that improvement was so complex, not just a refined base taste, but the addition of other flavors and nuances. And the age of each scotch tends to bring out flavors that the others did not have a chance to develop.

Thanks again to AVB for his generosity, and for sending out a bomb that was more than just some cigars, but something with thought and research put into it, since he knew I had mentioned both of these in an old thread somewhere.

Glad you enjoyed them. The Gold isn't too bad cost wise at about $60 but the Blue does get up there. If you are interested in trying some of the malts that go into the Johnnie Walker blends then get a bottle of Talisker 10 yo (the smokey component) and later in the year some Cardhu (should be back in the states in the 4th quarter). Those are the main malts in JW but there are most likely another dozen that go in too varying degrees.

Interesting reviews. Thanks for the 3 parter.
Am a big fan of the Black myself. Guess I'll have to try the others out sometime.

:thumbs:

Well, last weekend we were out with a couple friends, and I had the chance for a glass of Gold Label. For the price difference per glass (at least at this establishment) I would most definately drink the Gold if it is stocked. They had the Blue, which was more than twice the cost of Gold.

I haved to have either the Gold or the Blue. I finished the last glass of JW Green last night. This is definately a step up from the Black. It is a 15 y/o "Pure Malt" that I believe goest for about $45-$50 a bottle. I do like the Black label and it is my "go to" scotch. I like it because it is a little rough around the Edges when compared to Dewar or Chivas. I hate J&B or Cutty Sark.

Emo