• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Black Widows - how do you get rid of them?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
I have a little black widow problem in the backyard. They've decided to make everything their home, including underneath chairs, on my pepper plants, pots, everywhere. At night, they all come out in the open. Heck, some even hang out in the day! It's not like I have stockpiles of wood or brick that's attracting them. For some reason, they're everywhere. I killed about 12 of them tonight, and I wasn't even looking hard for them.

What's the best solution for getting rid of them? I'm thinking about buying Spectracide Triazicide and spraying my entire backyard, but not sure if that's going to do the trick. Will Deltamethrin work? I know their hard to kill...

If you have any ideas or solutions, please let me know!

Thanks,
Rod

I don't think residual insecticide is going to do much good. The best way is to keep killing them with some Raid every time you see one. I recently had one in my mailbox. I'm glad the wife didn't see it. She would have freaked out. :0

A good start is to get some industrial strength outdoor spray and cover all their favourite haunts. The most important thing to remember after spraying is leave the corpses where they died (where possible). This will deter other spiders from moving in where the previous tenant was evicted.

When we moved into our current cottage (152 years old) we had a major ispider infestation. I used outdoor and indoor spray in all the spots I could think of, and we haven't had a problem since.

Hire a professional.

Doc.

Just don't hire the guy from "Arachnophobia," because I'm pretty sure he bites the dust. :thumbs: Either way, rent it and let the fear consume you. :laugh:

You'll be screaming and running around in your backyard wearing Dutch clogs and smashing anything that looks like an arachnid; pine tree needles, twigs, blades of grass, etc... :sign: :sign: :sign:

We get those on vechiles brought in from the ports. We not only get the black widow but a brown widow also.

Spray with industrial spray then wait two days and repeat process. Then get a broom and clean ALL the webs you can find. You could also spray a good insecticide to get rid of the prey they are eating. No food no spiders. We find that the cleaner the area is kept, less chance of them returning.

If its a very big area I would probably hire an expert.

Rich

Talked to my father-in-law who is licensed and he said that the only way to get rid of them is to spray them directly or to spray their webs. When they eat the food chain stuck to the web, they'll ingest the poison that way. He recommends going with a pro, as their bug juice is usually stronger than over the counter stuff.

Should be able to hire a professional for less than $50 to take care of it for you, and most companies will guarantee their work. You might need a three month treatment program, just to make sure. That's what I would do.

Good luck!

I have a little black widow problem in the backyard. They've decided to make everything their home, including underneath chairs, on my pepper plants, pots, everywhere. At night, they all come out in the open. Heck, some even hang out in the day! It's not like I have stockpiles of wood or brick that's attracting them. For some reason, they're everywhere. I killed about 12 of them tonight, and I wasn't even looking hard for them.

What's the best solution for getting rid of them? I'm thinking about buying Spectracide Triazicide and spraying my entire backyard, but not sure if that's going to do the trick. Will Deltamethrin work? I know their hard to kill...

Thanks,
Rod

Call IsoTech. Maybe you'll get a Verminators film crew and show up on the Discovery channel.

Let them bite you and they will die... No wait, it's YOU that'll die. Don't do that ;)

We have them down here too but I don't have any at my house that I have seen. I have been bitten by a few brown recluse though and that was not fun.

I agree with the hiring a professional. Spiders are resilient and without direct spray you may have trouble taking care of them yourself.

Like TBagz, I know they exist down here but I've never seen them, brown recluse's are the main (spider) problem here in Florida.

Hire Robbie to come live in your backyard. They will all flock to his eyebrows, imo.

I hear this works pretty well:

961943.JPG

Make sure you score a direct hit, though.

I have a little black widow problem in the backyard. They've decided to make everything their home, including underneath chairs, on my pepper plants, pot, everywhere. At night, they all come out in the open. Heck, some even hang out in the day! It's not like I have stockpiles of wood or brick that's attracting them. For some reason, they're everywhere. I killed about 12 of them tonight, and I wasn't even looking hard for them.

Thanks,
Rod

Of all the HUMANITIES! Not the WEED!!!