• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blank DVD Media

TBaGZ

I'm around...
What format do I need to use in order for it to work in set top dvd players? I want to get into doing some video editing and transfering the home videos we have on vhs over to dvd. But I don't want to go through all the work of doing it and then put it in the DVD players and not have then work.

Thanks

Recording in DVD+R or DVD+RW will ensure the greatest compatibility but nothing is 100% across all players.

Yep, really depends on your player. DVD+R is by far the safest and will work in almost all players. Newer players will be able to handle other formats easier. The good new is that DVD+R is the least expensive media so start there. Of course your burner is a factor also.

Great recommendations above, but make sure your DVD burner can burn DVD+ or - before you buy your media. It should be written on the drive face itself. In addition there's writers that can do both, if you plan on purchasing one aim for this type of drive.

DVD+R, and brands also can make a difference i have found. So far the best I have run into are Verbatium that are made in Taiwan or Taiyo Uniden. TDK will not play in my built-in dvd/tv player combo, but will in my Denon home theater setup. Maxell is the opposite, and a few others as well. And they are all burned on the same player, with the same settings.

The Verbatium movie disks, with the movie reel graphic on the disk, so far have been perfect recording for me... over 150 with no coasters.

I have a collection of about 400 "acquired" movies. Verbatim is the pretty much the best readily available choice. Avoid Memorex (many coasters hath been made).

If you don't need them emergently and can avoid shopping at Staples/Wal-Mart/local computer store, here are your best prices you can find.

These should help you out if you need single layer "minus R" discs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817507005

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817130984

These should help you out if you need single layer "plus R" discs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817507003 (free shipping special, best base price, too-- period)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817130961

If you need dual layer discs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817130008 (free shipping special, best base price, too -- period)

Recording in DVD+R or DVD+RW will ensure the greatest compatibility but nothing is 100% across all players.
True fact. TDK or Taiyo Yuden seems to be the best out there, in my experience.

+R TDK's around here without an issue, mine or friends players......... :cool:

My burner is a DVD +R/RW and CD R/RW. Also what should I purchas to use for capturing from the vcr/camcorder?

My burner is a DVD +R/RW and CD R/RW. Also what should I purchas to use for capturing from the vcr/camcorder?

I used Video Express when I converted all my vhs/camcorder Hi8 to dvd (some time back). This worked well loading the movies on the PC, then used Nero to create/edit and burn to disc. I've seen them in the Walmart computer section for like $40 I think (maybe a little less..can't remember really). I also use mostly Sony discs - DVD+R (have yet to have one "coaster" made...knock on wood).

I believe I still have my original Video Express somewhere. If I can find it, I can send it to you. Maybe a few sticks for trade? Let me know, and I'll get to searching. May be a couple days though (got to play Santa tonight and well, eat LOTS of food tomorrow as well as smoke a good stogie :D).

TBaGz, I'll get you taken care of with any program you'll ever need for what you're wanting to do if King can't find his Video Express. Heck, I can even get you that. I have a way of acquiring any piece of software, movie, etc etc your heart could desire.

:D

Edit:
Right click on your "My Computer" icon on your desktop.
Click properties.
Navigate to the "hardware" tab.
Click on the device manager button.
Expand the "DVD/CD-Rom Drives" list.
Tell us what it says (model number, etc).

Alternately, OPEN My Computer.
Locate your burner drive.
Right click on it.
Click properties.
Navigate to the hardware tab.
Tell us what it says (model number, etc).

Took a while, but I found it! Let me know if you still need it...

12-25-07Imported017.jpg

12-25-07Imported016.jpg

I tried this some time ago. My experience lead me to believe that the best solution was to buy a A/V DVD recorder/player. I picked up a GATEWAY model for about $150.00, about 18 months ago. They are probably cheaper now.
Connect your VCR (Tape Source) to the recorder and I used an old small 13" TV. Cued up the tape , hit record and walked away. A 2 hour tape will take two hours. Burned the DVD, printed the info onto the disc and went to the next tape. The final product was much better than most AV converters I've seen. The resulting discs play in everything I've tried them on. And the process didn't tie up my system. And I still use the DVD recorder to capture movies off my DVR. And naturally to watch DVDs.

YMMV...

I tried this some time ago. My experience lead me to believe that the best solution was to buy a A/V DVD recorder/player. I picked up a GATEWAY model for about $150.00, about 18 months ago. They are probably cheaper now.
Connect your VCR (Tape Source) to the recorder and I used an old small 13" TV. Cued up the tape , hit record and walked away. A 2 hour tape will take two hours. Burned the DVD, printed the info onto the disc and went to the next tape. The final product was much better than most AV converters I've seen. The resulting discs play in everything I've tried them on. And the process didn't tie up my system. And I still use the DVD recorder to capture movies off my DVR. And naturally to watch DVDs.

YMMV...

And here is a $49 DVD recorder...just FYI.