• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blending

psyktek

Frugal Old Fart!
I like the flavor of Latakia or Perique (or used to :) ) but it seemed that most blends had too much for my taste. (Has a nice, spicy aroma too.)

What percentage of either of these would experienced smokers recommend so that they don't overwhelm the other tobaccos? What would be a good combination? Any commercial blends that folks have found that would fit this description?

Wow. . . I love Latakia and Perique too. . . but " a little dab will do ya" is what I have always found. I have even found some blends that have both in them, and I really love these.

This is a more complex question though than you think. First off, tastes are so subjective. Secondly. . ..there are probably THOUSANDS of blends out there. . . both commercial produced, or blended at your local smoke shop.

Shadow is probably going to be better suited to answer your questions though concerning commercial blends, and percentages. I am sure he can point you in the right direction.

Part of the fun of this hobby though is searching around for the "right" blend.

Oh, and by the way. . . if there is a good pipe shop close to you, then often you can go in a sample some of their bulk or house blends. They often can even customize a blend just for you. I know several shops that do this and find this VERY helpful I can go to the shop and try a bowl before I buy it.

Hope that helps!

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

The english blend tobaccos that have latakia in them have a very small amount, like Steve said. Some smokers like a little more added to suit their tastes.

We have customers that have their own blends of various mixtures of the blends at the shop. Some I wouldn't try on a bet! But to each their own.

Most shops will let you try a pipefull of their house blends. If not, find another shop.

I agree with GB and Shadow, in my experience, Latakia has a tendency to dominate most any blend I've experimented with. A little goes a very long way. If you like the flavor of Latakia but need to tone it down a bit, I suggest a nice mild Burley blend.

Eric

Picked up an ounce at a local shop (also my cigar dealer locally, this guy's gonna vacation in the Bahamas next year if this keeps up).

Nice sweet notes of Burley with just a hint of Perique. Haven't smoked it yet, intend to try a bowl tonight or tomorrow. :)