• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review - Pay it Forward #2!

@CigSid, Thanks for the package, and I'm completely blown away by the tag-alongs. Thank you, sir. I'll smoke the Blind when I get back from vacation.

@cabaiguan juan, Jon, your Blind Review package has been combined with the PIF, and is on the way. Tracking is in the PIF thread. Enjoy, and good luck!
Blind Review has arrived, along with a lot of other stuff. Thank you @kann. So what is the next move? I smoke it, report on the amount of vinegar and talcum powder notes, post a guess and then open the envelope to discover its actually a Gurkha?

I think the cigar had enough rest. Time to light it up

box pressed toro sized. Dark wrapper. Foot smells musty / spicy Used a punch on the triple capped head. Overall looks like very nicely rolled stick. Not Cuban from all the looks and aromas

View attachment 45190
Initial flavors are cedar with some pepper. I am totally ruling out Cuba. And this is not Honduras either. Most likely not Dominican either betting 90% this is Nicaragua

Flavors remind me of the Sungrown Rosado wrappers. It’s starting to smoke bit weird so I am topping off the ash

Either it’s under bunched or it was draw tested and that made this weird whole in the middle

View attachment 45191

i think the flavors are a little toned down as I am smoking through this weird rolled portion but overall flavors a good. Baking spices, some white pepper and probably some dark chocolate. Everything is pushing me to say Padron except that weird construction

A little past the 1st third and I am finally past that hole in the middle. Now time to really concentrate on the flavors

View attachment 45192

Flavors are about the same. Some cinnamon mixed in. Strength is medium.

going into the final 3rd now. Flavors are consistent with what I got in the second 3rd
Overall quite enjoyable outside the construction issues

I would like to have another of these to see if this was a fluke due to the uniqueness of each hand made cigar

I would rate this 6/10 due to construction issue overwise would be a solid 8

final guess poorly constructed Padron thousand series

View attachment 45194

now the reveal.

View attachment 45195
View attachment 45196

Sorry I'm about a year late on this one, but has anyone else seen a hole as pronounced down the middle of a stick like that before?? It's almost like someone used a 4 inch punch on it! And how the hell did it manage to still burn properly around it?

Dan, when you drew on it during that hole were you getting huge mouthfuls of smoke?

Blind Cigar Review.
So @kann sent me a cigar to review. Here is that review.
In looking at the cigar, my initial guess is a LFD Cabinet Maduro or a LFD Ligero Oscuro.
1st Puff: Lots of pepper and spice.
1/3: Honey, black pepper and cayenne pepper. The black pepper dies off as the 1st third progresses finishing with honey and a little bit of spicy pepper.
2/3: Cayenne pepper is the dominant flavor with some sweetness to back it up.
3/3: The spice kicks up and my nose begins to tingle.
I know its not a cuban because there was no vinegar or talcum powder.
My final guess is the LFD ligero oscuro.
Actual answer: LFD L-400 Ligero Oscuro!
49D62902-CC09-4E62-8EB0-D2BEAB13E320.jpeg4E1A7974-E6FA-40FA-B3F5-CA2DE591C388.jpeg998B3DF4-54E0-427F-9C8B-0AA916732EE7.jpeg3054546A-379D-4BCA-88F5-85826F2FBC18.jpegA386899A-1344-4008-AF74-CAD1AB33CECB.jpeg6FBD1EC6-9563-42E5-ABC1-A850353A5DBF.jpeg

I see I made it too easy. :p I wanted to send you something you were familiar with to see if you could pick it out, and since you sent one of these unbanded to me, I figured I'd return the favor. Hope you enjoyed playing the game!

I see I made it too easy. :p I wanted to send you something you were familiar with to see if you could pick it out, and since you sent one of these unbanded to me, I figured I'd return the favor. Hope you enjoyed playing the game!
It was great, I’m glad I didn’t miss judge it!
So who is next?

Blind Cigar Review.
So @kann sent me a cigar to review. Here is that review.
In looking at the cigar, my initial guess is a LFD Cabinet Maduro or a LFD Ligero Oscuro.
1st Puff: Lots of pepper and spice.
1/3: Honey, black pepper and cayenne pepper. The black pepper dies off as the 1st third progresses finishing with honey and a little bit of spicy pepper.
2/3: Cayenne pepper is the dominant flavor with some sweetness to back it up.
3/3: The spice kicks up and my nose begins to tingle.
I know its not a cuban because there was no vinegar or talcum powder.
My final guess is the LFD ligero oscuro.
Actual answer: LFD L-400 Ligero Oscuro!
View attachment 55425View attachment 55426View attachment 55427View attachment 55428View attachment 55429View attachment 55430
Great review!!

Who is next? Or do I need to Volunteer someone?

Michael asked if I would do one out of our Mavs v GSW wager and I agreed. That'll probably take a couple weeks though. If someone could do one in the interim that would be great.

Have someone in mind?

Ah crap! My pallet is still under construction, it's an honor being chosen but don't laugh to hard at the review. This should be fun, and thank you.

I'm looking forward to your review Steve! You've already proven your good taste, now you're basically just summarizing it in a review format.

I know when I do mine, I'll take a stab at what I think it is.. but I'm about 98.8% sure I'll get it wrong. But like you, I'm just gonna have fun doing it!
👍

This is another “Look at me” post.

Thanks (seriously). I appreciate examples.

So, to me, you had asked me in a PM if I would do a blind review. And then after GSW won over the Mavs, Michael also asked and said it would be in the wager sticks he was mailing. I agreed and even told him you had asked also.

I couldn't commit to a date at that moment as they weren't even mailed yet and we had long weekend coming up. Then you asked who was up and if you were gonna have to volunteer someone.

Since you had just asked me recently, I thought I should say something and mention I have a blind one that's enroute. And that someone else had asked me too.

I promise there was no ill-intent or attempt to grandstand. I'm not even sure what a "look at me" post entails. First time I've even heard that in probably 25+ years of participating in online forums.

But I do know the written word doesn't always convey what we mean it to. That's why I'm glad you were nice enough to show actual examples.

That said, what did that post convey or mean to you? Or what would qualify it as a look at me post? (it does make for a good new acronym.. LAMP.. look at me post).

Thanks (seriously). I appreciate examples.

So, to me, you had asked me in a PM if I would do a blind review. And then after GSW won over the Mavs, Michael also asked and said it would be in the wager sticks he was mailing. I agreed and even told him you had asked also.

I couldn't commit to a date at that moment as they weren't even mailed yet and we had long weekend coming up. Then you asked who was up and if you were gonna have to volunteer someone.

Since you had just asked me recently, I thought I should say something and mention I have a blind one that's enroute. And that someone else had asked me too.

I promise there was no ill-intent or attempt to grandstand. I'm not even sure what a "look at me" post entails. First time I've even heard that in probably 25+ years of participating in online forums.

But I do know the written word doesn't always convey what we mean it to. That's why I'm glad you were nice enough to show actual examples.

That said, what did that post convey or mean to you? Or what would qualify it as a look at me post? (it does make for a good new acronym.. LAMP.. look at me post).
I appreciate your response. I'm going to move this to DM.

Blind review #1

20220615_170446.jpg

93 degrees outside with a nice breeze, drinking ice water. Sitting in the backyard wondering how tall I'm going to let that grass grow.

20220615_143940.jpg

Shape is perhaps a petit robusto, 4.75” just shy of a 50 ring gauge maybe 48.
Cigar is milk chocolate brown with minimum veins. Firm feel and with a triple cap good construction.

20220615_145017.jpg

Pre-light
Good barnyard smell, that rich fermented tobacco aroma.

20220615_144723.jpg

There is a little pucker on the head and I decide to go with a straight cut instead of a punch not wanting to damage the cap *cuts cigar* whew! It was just on the top cap clean cut!

20220615_150223.jpg
Un-fired draw not getting a lot, maybe brown sugar, mild earthy tones?

Draw is pretty tight, had 3 days in the dry box at 62 percent, may not have been enough.

Fired up! First few puffs are great, hay, toast white pepper but not strong. The draw is getting tighter as the cigar warms up and I decide to give it a gentle poke with my tool (is this cigar docking?). That works perfectly and the draw is just under firm.

First third is delicious, floral predominantly, some baking spices and a bit of clove…. Very mild retro hale is smooth, creamy and floral.

20220615_153251.jpg

I am trying to dissect this floral aroma/taste more almost hops like. Slightly bitter like black coffee. The end of the first third the cigar starts to build into a solid medium strength.

Oh yah! This is getting even better, more spice and the first real hint of pepper in the retrohale. The wind picks up out of nowhere and showers me in ashes…. Meh just rub them in.

20220615_155644.jpg

I am trying not to smoke fast and let this stick rest in between puffs a bit. BUT I resist, I hear Jon calling me from the void, remember your training!

A big puff through the nose makes me sneeze lol. The cigars profile through the second third keeps building to medium, starting to feel that nic hit in the back of the throat some. But the profile is getting much sweeter such as vanilla ice cream and cinnamon to my taste buds. Throughout this smoke there have been other subtle tasting notes like dried fruit that I was not able to put my finger on it.

Wife and kids are home, but she tells me it is too hot to be outside. Good, I can finish this in peace.

WARNING: Introspection moment. I realize that I don't really take the time to sit and enjoy cigars as nearly often as I should. Sure I smoke a lot of cigars but it would seem I rarely take the time to truly enjoy them. I suppose I get caught up in the “what's the next great cigar craze” and forget why I do this. Lazy afternoons coaxing little nuances of flavor from these hand crafted gems. OK, moment over.

Time for a cut and purge.
The construction is really spot on, after this last cut a little farther into the head you can really see the nice bunching.
Final third is showing more intensity, having the sweetness take a back seat to more robust flavors.

Brief intermission, I run inside real quick and my youngest has his butt over the AC vent saying "that feels good"… Guess it is getting hot out hahaha!

Now well into the final third, it's a challenge to draw slowly and not overheat the tobacco. Getting a mild nic buzz and still admiring the strength of this little cigar. Still getting just enough pepper to remind me not to take a full hit retro, but the complexity is nice. Now getting an earthy strong dark roast coffee more than the vanilla.

20220615_161528.jpg

There is a slight lopsided burn, but waiting to see if it fixes itself. Then the unthinkable happens. It goes out, I cannot coax it back to life, so I gently heat the end with a single torch and take a puff. EUREKA! Back in business.

Every puff is pure luxury, Pepper is now the foremost, hints of baking spices mingle a bit as well.

20220615_165801.jpg

If you actually read this whole thing, first I thank you, then I apologize. I wanted to capture the whole experience and this written diarrhea was the result. To summarize, the construction, size, and draw were a indicator this may be cuban. Then the tasting notes and strength confirmed (in my head) that thought.

I really have no idea what this was but I'm going to take a stab at it.

Partagas series D #5 ????

Drumroll please…..

20220615_170608.jpg

OMG, I am embarrassed. Just remember kids 90 percent is perception, now too delete this whole review and rewrite it hahahaha!

Last edited: