• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Ah, I can't wait to smoke cigars in subfreezing temps! :) Maybe Friday.

Great review of a great cigar. I wonder the approximate age?

What an interesting cigar Brian sent me to blind taste.

A very dark maduro wrapper, far from smooth. It is not entirely even in it's color, with some gradients of a dark espresso bean, and lighter shades along the veins which are present throughout. It’s about 6inches long, about a 48-50 RG.

Initially, the smell is very familiar. Aroma intensity is about a 6/10. On the cold draw, you get some dried fruit and that typical Cuban profile. First inclination are that this wrapper reminds me of some older EL CCs, and the smell would also suggest some age. However, when standing the stick up on it's foot, it barely stands up straight.

FullSizeRender 63.jpg

Pairing: Dry Hopped Tin City Cider.

Straight cut and away we go. The first 1-2 inches of this cigar taste like smoke. And cigar. Nothing more, nothing less. I realize I'm pretty anxious from watching my Seahawks on MNF, and I am smoking too fast. I slow it down and relax. Still, the flavor intensity is not matching the notes I expected from the initial aromatics I was getting. It is easy smoking, well constructed, and smooth in intensity. Pretty light bodied.

About half way through, flavor starts to pickup. I'm getting some spice, like ginger, some malty notes, and a bit of shortbread cookie. The smoke is thick and drawing well. Still light bodied, but very enjoyable.

The final inches of this cigar, the flavor really fell apart, which I was surprised by. Typically you get a build up of flavor that compounds. Not in this case. Overall, I enjoyed the cigar, but was left wanting more from the flavor profile. If I had to guess on this cigar, I would say it was an aged Nicaraguan with Habano seed. Maybe aged a bit too long, a bit past it’s prime.
IMG_5142.JPG

Drumroll please…

IMG_8748.JPG
AF GR Maduro. Hey, not totally far off! lol
Can't wait to do this again one day!

What an interesting cigar Brian sent me to blind taste.

A very dark maduro wrapper, far from smooth. It is not entirely even in it's color, with some gradients of a dark espresso bean, and lighter shades along the veins which are present throughout. It’s about 6inches long, about a 48-50 RG.

Initially, the smell is very familiar. Aroma intensity is about a 6/10. On the cold draw, you get some dried fruit and that typical Cuban profile. First inclination are that this wrapper reminds me of some older EL CCs, and the smell would also suggest some age. However, when standing the stick up on it's foot, it barely stands up straight.

View attachment 18805

Pairing: Dry Hopped Tin City Cider.

Straight cut and away we go. The first 1-2 inches of this cigar taste like smoke. And cigar. Nothing more, nothing less. I realize I'm pretty anxious from watching my Seahawks on MNF, and I am smoking too fast. I slow it down and relax. Still, the flavor intensity is not matching the notes I expected from the initial aromatics I was getting. It is easy smoking, well constructed, and smooth in intensity. Pretty light bodied.

About half way through, flavor starts to pickup. I'm getting some spice, like ginger, some malty notes, and a bit of shortbread cookie. The smoke is thick and drawing well. Still light bodied, but very enjoyable.

The final inches of this cigar, the flavor really fell apart, which I was surprised by. Typically you get a build up of flavor that compounds. Not in this case. Overall, I enjoyed the cigar, but was left wanting more from the flavor profile. If I had to guess on this cigar, I would say it was an aged Nicaraguan with Habano seed. Maybe aged a bit too long, a bit past it’s prime.
View attachment 18806

Drumroll please…

View attachment 18807
AF GR Maduro. Hey, not totally far off! lol
Can't wait to do this again one day!

Ha!

I really wanted you to try that AF because it's one of the few non-cc's that I still have in my rotation and I tend to really enjoy them (even when I get side-eye from fellow cigar enthusiasts for it). That one was a good five or so years old, but mileage may vary on it. Normally they finish stronger. I fear I somehow managed to pull you a dud from my box! :) I'm glad you got a chance to give it a shot! :)

5 years, nice! Definitely smelled that way, but smoke was lacking.
Always enjoy smoking a blind stick from a BOTL!

Very good looking cigar. Nice medium brown wrapper. From the looks of it about 5 inches by 48. Intense earthy, sweet smell coming of the cigar. Pretty sure I know exactly what this cigar is before even smoking it and I’ve been telling Bri since it came in the mail. Enjoying it outside while my daughter plays and has a mug of hot cocoa.

E103032B-65B5-450A-B512-30A105208BA2.jpeg

First third: Nice amount of smoke, very smooth. Nutty and sweet with a nice subtle earthy/woodsy component to it. Definitely tasting the Cuban tobacco but question if that’s in my head cause I think I know what the cigar is or if it’s really there.

Madelyn has ditched her cocoa and is now terrorizing the dog.

8D16825C-3693-4929-B2BA-8C52B741956E.jpeg

Second Third: Flavors still saying the same but adding a bit of spice to the mix. I’m alsmot certain it’s the cigar I’m thinking of as I just smoked one a couple days ago and this is reminding me of the exact same experience.

E8572573-AC02-418B-A93A-AE60436C9E59.jpeg

Final Third: The smoke is becoming richer. More spice and wood. A little bitterness, like that from cocoa powder. Sweetness has become much more subtle. Nice complex smoke. Very aromatic and dense.

CEE224CC-6169-4E62-9BF5-ADCC72FB4D81.jpeg
I’m going to have to go with my gut and guess that Ian is messing with me and sent me a cigar from a box we split a while ago. It has all the charastics of that cigar and the size is spot on. I have to go with it being a SLE JUN 16 VR Famosos

And the Reveal....

19779315-1BBD-4709-BFA5-CE6C238D844D.jpeg

So yeah, I was right. It probably helped that I had just smoked one of these a couple days ago that George Scott had gifted to me. I was pretty sure it was this cigar and Ian was messing with me by sending it, but thought I could be putting to much thought into it as well.

Overall I’m glad I tried it blind and truly enjoyed it. I will definitely be getting another box of them one of these days as they are a very delicious cigar.

Thanks Ian for sending it!

Last edited:
Haha, I was gonna question if you couldn't guess this one - a complete lob. :p

I sent it because we split this box, but from what I could tell, you sold off your half (not knowing you had more), so I wanted to see if you regretted selling them, but sounds like you kept your fair share as well. ;)

Get out two drams, pull up a chair and be under whelmed. Today was my day to try the PIF from the land of grapes and honey, none other than Josh ( aka Napa Smokes ).

It began at 0745 hours with in the thrilling temperature of 26° along with a cup of Jerry’s Peaberry. Oh, I was all covered up like Nanouk so it wasn’t that bad.

I tried to we’ll document the event in the photos, so peek at your leasure. The foot had a bit of missing, but so what. The cap was really quite well done and nicely placed. Vein wise, of course they were present but flattened and none outstanding. Overall a dandy looking smoke.

Put the quad flame to it, got a nice even burn going and for me, was hit with a blast of orange zest, POW! I enjoyed that I went back for another shot, but alas poor Rupert, it was but once and not to be repeated.

You can see the burn was not tight in the ash, but spot on for the overall stick and the smoke was more than ample. I tasted waves of complexity but could not find one that stood out and hit me. This was just going to go down as a fine smoke.

All this time and I’m beginning to feel like I’m starting to slip away. As the end drew near I resorted to a ice pick so as to do justice to this smoke.

Yes, I got hit with a nicotine buildup, kind of cool cause it don’t happen often. And NO, I don’t know what it is other than not an ISO. There was just too much body here to think otherwise ( I hope ).

In the end I have to thank Josh for the opportunity, you, my CP brothers and sisters for your patience and for my guard dog for keeping me company.

After cracking the Seal of Josh, it was a Tat that rattled my cage. Well done Josh.

Attachments

• 9632C789-9934-4750-AF52-055FE94720E1.jpeg
    9632C789-9934-4750-AF52-055FE94720E1.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 36179644-7B24-490B-9941-63ECA32C5786.jpeg
    36179644-7B24-490B-9941-63ECA32C5786.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 40
  • BDFD2742-005D-4336-9804-E11DC1750F7C.jpeg
    BDFD2742-005D-4336-9804-E11DC1750F7C.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20C8D238-038B-46A3-8096-64434D3DAE10.jpeg
    20C8D238-038B-46A3-8096-64434D3DAE10.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 40
  • C9574221-E7AB-44EB-B29F-9ABBF4EFDF41.jpeg
    C9574221-E7AB-44EB-B29F-9ABBF4EFDF41.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 96FB7D82-4E20-4A06-8B3A-677E7DB663E2.jpeg
    96FB7D82-4E20-4A06-8B3A-677E7DB663E2.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 38
  • 948854DC-05EB-4E5B-8F2D-C886BDB4F0BE.jpeg
    948854DC-05EB-4E5B-8F2D-C886BDB4F0BE.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 33D43AE4-51DD-4041-A541-75D7C720C180.jpeg
    33D43AE4-51DD-4041-A541-75D7C720C180.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 38
Nice review, Ed! And where did you put that cigar?? It was in perfect shape when it left home lol

Great review. I could relate to the initial blast of flavor right after lighting but then poof, it's gone.
I love the "Seal of Josh". :)

Well, better late than never. :p

Pug sent me this honker. At 6x60, it is a biggun. The wrapper smells spicy and the cold draw is pure barnyard. The wrapper is dark and oily with a couple prominent veins.
IMG_20180227_145333798.jpg
After firing, I'm tasting malt and spice which is one of my fav combos. The draw is a bit stiff but acceptable. Nice flavors and plenty of smoke despite the draw.

At around one third, I have been enjoying this cigar. I remember when this size first started to grow in popularity. Now it's hard to find a blend without this vitola included. If the filler and binder are good it works. If not, not so much. This one works. The filler is spicy and the wrapper adds just the right sweetness.
Of course, there are about 200 possible choices for this now common size so there's that. :(

IMG_20180227_153751643.jpg
Nice white ash that holds together well and decent burn but the draw is tighter now. A little harshness is building but not too bad. Steady flavor profile but getting stronger as I smoke it on down. Full bodied and then some.

As I start the last third I am getting less smoke and more harshness. Flavor still going strong but I am not. :)
IMG_20180227_153814680.jpg

I did enjoy it for the first half but it got the best of me in the second. I don't believe I have smoked the cigar but I probably have had a smaller vitola of the same blend. It is much like some AJ cigars. That would be my general sort of guess.

IMG_20180304_155342022_HDR.jpg

Whoops, wrong again. I love the V Double Robusto but this was the largest V I've smoked. Different from the smaller ones in flavor but still tasty. Too big for me but after a very big meal I might last longer. :p

Thanks, Pug, you mysterioso bastardo, you!

Edit for grammar and to remove sensitive classified material.

Last edited:
Blind review:

Thanks to Vortex for the challenge.

Size is a corona gorda/canonazo/robusto extra.
0D919990-E33D-45C0-93AC-98B12C8F9FAF.jpeg

Aroma at cold: Honey, hay, well aged tobacco.

Appearance
Light brown, golden wrapper, nice triple cap.

Cold draw:
Hay, peanuts.

Opening:
Mild spice,tobacco, slight cream.
Not much change, pretty consistent creaminess, smooth. End of 1st third some cedar and honey like sweetness peek in.
DC408F74-583F-4B0E-9D75-327D046A8000.jpeg

5D61F635-ABF6-43A2-9787-05DF968AFEF5.jpeg

2nd third:
Mild smoke. Smooth as unsalted butter.
Aroma of hay and honey. Smoke output is light. Finish is of hay and aged tobacco. Midway thorough second third a slight floral/grassiness show up for a brief moment in between the consistent and dominant cream. Slight floral continues with grassiness and cream.
B34CC9A3-CE4A-4680-AAA9-9F33BAF23F23.jpeg

I can’t tell if this is something I’ve had before. I also can’t discern if it’s Dominican, Nicaraguan or Cuban.

I’m leaning toward a Tat, Warped, or Fuente. Maybe a Johnny O EL.

Ash is solid.

03028F61-1C02-41A1-8F9E-508A760F7882.jpeg

Final third:
Cream, nut, hay and floral continue to blend nicely with each other. Smooth. Floral and cream dominate the final third. Slight spice has remained throughout the smoke.

A5A86F0E-9D53-4009-BCCB-2A1C2713986C.jpeg

Whatever this is. I like it.

Ends creamy, floral and smooth.

I’m guessing it’s a Tatuaje or Warped.

And...

7F5AB3F5-B2EA-4669-A308-2EF6DED4920A.jpeg

My Father Connecticut Corona Gorda!

Well, I had the country nailed, not the manufacturer.

Delicious smoke.

Thanks for the challenge!

C

Last edited:
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Ceasar. I got that box in 2015.

Here we go!!!

9334085E-B663-4040-9780-5D120EB73961.jpeg

The snow is finally melting. I sit down on my porch and make a v cut.

38C61734-6D19-444A-BAC7-DF50E66BFEFA.jpeg

Cold draw is a little hay and some pepper.

Initial notes have me thinking Nicaraguan or Dominican tobacco. Definitely not a cc. Immediately reminds me of some of the nicer warped sticks I’ve had, or perhaps the honey flavor of that la colmeda stick.

566142D6-4560-4B0E-AC7E-3D68611A63EF.jpeg

Second third is very smooth and satisfying. The pepper is the white kind, which I prefer to the black pepper taste. Construction is really nice with virtually no veins. Colorado wrapper which is only fitting! :)

74B34258-A893-4092-A5EC-2658B27C59FE.jpeg

The coffee I’m drinking is a brilliant compliment. Really brings out some earthy tones.

Still a bit of pepper. Solid construction and pretty dang even burn.

As I enter the final third, I can’t help it think it’s something I’ve tried before.

5CF060B1-5C6B-45D6-96F4-2D2F97ECA24A.jpeg

Yeah, it’s definitely something I’ve tried before. The honey tint makes me really think warped. And yet I still wonder if it’s a La Colmena, which I can’t remember if that’s a warped stick. I just remember they’re the same company who makes the El Oso.

D73BAAEF-3370-4787-BBC5-4AD94768E653.jpeg

Wow, way off. Nicaragua stick with a Corojo 99 wrapper!! Welp.

Really great stick C! Thank you for the opportunity to try it!!! And a parting meme! :)

44B5FD65-1AC1-4D13-8333-306E08778F01.jpeg

Here we go!!!

View attachment 20007

View attachment 20008

Initial notes have me thinking Nicaraguan or Dominican tobacco. Definitely not a cc. Immediately reminds me of some of the nicer warped sticks I’ve had, or perhaps the honey flavor of that la colmeda stick.

View attachment 20009

Second third is very smooth and satisfying. The pepper is the white kind, which I prefer to the black pepper taste. Construction is really nice with virtually no veins. Colorado wrapper which is only fitting! :)

View attachment 20010

The coffee I’m drinking is a brilliant compliment. Really brings out some earthy tones.

As I enter the final third, I can’t help it think it’s something I’ve tried before.

View attachment 20012

Yeah, it’s definitely something I’ve tried before. The honey tint makes me really think warped. And yet I still wonder if it’s a La Colmena, which I can’t remember if that’s a warped stick. I just remember they’re the same company who makes the El Oso.

View attachment 20011

Really great stick C! Thank you for the opportunity to try it!!! And a parting meme! :)

View attachment 20013
Well done. You got the country down and the fact that this was a “limited” or “boutique “ stick. Nice review.

Here we go!!!

View attachment 20007

View attachment 20008

View attachment 20009

View attachment 20010

View attachment 20012

View attachment 20011

View attachment 20013
Brian, great review. You're actually much closer than you give yourself credit for... HVC's are Aganorsa tobacco just like all of Warped stuff. You nailed that part!

Well apparently I didn’t hit post reply and thankfully most of what I typed out was saved.

I didn’t measure the cigar but it looks like it’s about 6x50. Medium brown, smooth wrapper, very well constructed cigar with no soft spots. Aroma is of tobacco, cedar, sweet hay with floral undertones. Reminds me a lot of a Cuban but not quiet there which makes me think it’s either a Tat or Illusione.

453C7D49-9E95-45E2-A33E-CB0A00EA80A7.jpeg

Pre-light draw was very easy. No resistance at all. Reminds me of a pardon anniversario. Also reaffirms to me that it’s not Cuban :D or a Tat for that matter.

42F80C03-A3AE-42B3-923B-E98ED2632D49.jpeg

First third: Lots of smoke, Mild to medium, tobacco, cedar and slight sweetness and spice. So far a very nice cigar.

B1E022BA-882C-4577-AC55-E1A856108F02.jpeg

Second Third: strength is picking up, more medium at this point, mostly cedar and sweet tobacco/hay still there with the floral
notes picking up. The spice has faded at this point but is still there.

Halfway through the second third the wrapper began to split and unravel.

46773A3D-5149-4627-8582-0A82225DC74B.jpeg

Final Third: Spice is picking up as well as the strength. The sweetness is still there as well as well as the cedar.

DC280F6E-E092-4281-A3E6-907530920FED.jpeg

Overall a very nice cigar. I’m pretty sure I’ve never smoked it but it has some similarities to some that I’ve smoked in the past. I’ve ruled out it being Cuban, or a Tat. I feel like it is a Nicaraguan. Since I’m not to familiar with a lot of the new boutique brands I’m going to just take a wild guess and say it is an Illusione but I really have no idea.

4B36259F-E39A-46E7-8F7F-D76C080F6C85.jpeg

So it is an Illusione and one I haven’t had or seen for that matter. I really had no idea what this cigar was though it was very nice. It’s a shame the wrapper started to split and I would have liked a little more resistance on the draw but it’s definitely a cigar I would smoke again.

Thanks for the chance to try it Brian.!!