• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Thanks! You interested in doing one? If so just say the magic words and take me pass from me.

I'm terrible at reviews and don't have a lot of time right now, but appreciate it nonetheless!

The fact that I was able to guess it didn't make it easy. I'm only one for four as of right now.

The fact that I was able to guess it didn't make it easy. I'm only one for four as of right now.
S'all bout the fun anyway. I'm tickled when I at least get the country of origin but don't put much cred on the outcome.
I've been enjoying my La Imperiosa Magicos lately. Simple yet refined. Still developing age-wise, though.

My turn for some fun! MichaelD sent me this toothy Robusto to review. It had preflight aromas of spice with barnyard.tmp_19680-IMG_20161021_153040584427341181.jpg tmp_19680-IMG_20161021_153302886_HDR-1321678843.jpg 1st third started with spice and wood with an intermittent malt. Burn and draw were good and overall a nice smoke. The malt faded toward the end of this third and the flavor turned mostly woody.tmp_19680-IMG_20161021_162453040-448582063.jpg The 2nd third the ash finally dropped and the spicy malty flavor returned. Soon some coffee and chocolate came and went a few times. Still a woody background throughout.tmp_19680-IMG_20161021_163038501284568589.jpg In the final third the woody flavor was supported by a leather and the spicy aspect dominated. Not much malty left.

I enjoyed this stick but can't say I recognize the profile. I would say it is mostly Nic filler with maybe an Ecuador sungrown wrapper.

So as a wild guess I say it's an Alec Bradley of some sort. Completely a guess, though, so even if by some stretch it's close it's dumb luck.

Since I couldn't locate the answer slip, Michael will have to personally give us the answer. So, what the hell did I just smoke? :)

Here we go. 12:20p
IMG_20161029_121133.jpg

Cigar measures 5" long. Ring gauge appears to be 54ish. Based on the two flat sides I'm assuming this is from a dress box.
Wrapper is beautiful flawless and the color reminds me of good saddle leather.
The foot smells of dark dried fruit. Maybe a prune or raisin odor.
Filler is solid. No soft spots, just enough give to not be brittle.
Cap cut smoothly, I couldn't tell if it was a triple cap or if the first layer had a wrinkle.
Prelight draw is slightly sweet, no barnyard, earth, or other musty flavors.
12:30p. Light em up.
Almost no wind on the porch.
It is partly to mostly cloudy as it seems rain might be heading in this evening.
Current conditions 80F and 69%rh.
First couple of draws greet me with a smooth creamy smoke. Almost no pepper or spice. More of the sweet aroma. Like a subtle sugar cookie or a piece of sponge cake.
I feel like I've smoked this blend once or twice.
I'm leaning RoMa Craft as an early guess.

1:35 As I move into the second third, the flavors are still pretty similar to the first third. Add a hint of peppery bite.
I'm still leaning towards a BA wrapper but thinking this could be a JD Howard HR54.

This is definitely a tasty cigar. I know I say quite often, but it is box worthy. ;)

2:05p, almost to the final third. Have had to relight twice. Feels like the cigar is just a bit too moist. And is self extinguishing. IMG_20161029_140713.jpg
I'm going to stick with my guess of HR54 because I'm otherwise clueless. :)

Did I mention I really enjoy this cigar?

2:15p, I'm really feeling the nicotine, as I haven't had lunch, yet. Final third is going to be wicked, so I'll just leave this here.

I guessed very wrong. Which is why these are so effing fun.
IMG_20161029_141128.jpg

I was blown away by this stick. Glad I got to sample it, and will keep my eyes peeled for it in the future. Thank you, @vortex

Glad you liked it. It may have needed a bit more rest but I'm glad it seemed to be OK. More berry and malt comes through when they are just right, in this case a bit drier.

The other cigars may be in a similar slightly over-humidified state. The weather just got colder and I may have to re-think where I keep my humidor in my new digs.

This is my first winter here and adjustments will be necessary and, hopefully, sufficient to store them for the winter. Won't be doing much cigar smoking this winter. :( Maybe a few Dogwalkers on occasion.

So let those Tats rest well. That 2012 is hands down my favorite vitola of the line. It's one of those blends that works best in the bigger ring gauge, IMHO. The filler is the star of that show.

I had one of those for a blind review I did a while back. Great cigar I thought. Like you said, box worthy.

This is the second Steve-to-Steve blind review but reversed due to a lack of response in the thread. We figured what the hell at least it keeps it going. Hopefully, it won't stall too much over the winter months.

Steve sent me this tasty gar:tmp_21361-IMG_20161119_141322555_HDR-710779285.jpg The wrapper smells barnyard and the foot spicy. It is a standard corona gorda at 46 ring by 5 & 5/8inch. It has the heavy vein visible above but otherwise firm and triple cap. After punching the draw is perfect and a bit of berry and spice on the cold draw. After firing I'm greeted with heavy spice and pepper and copious quantity of smoke. An inch in the pepper subsides a bit and I taste cocoa with a touch of sweetness. Near the second third the pepper is mild but the spice and sweetness is predominant. This is basically my favorite cigar profile so I'm really enjoying this sucker.tmp_21361-IMG_20161119_144050633_HDR148024717.jpg As the second third progresses the draw and burn are fine and the flavor intensifies. A hint of raspberry floats in and out which also says Nicaraguan filler to me. At this point I recall the great selection Steve sent.tmp_21361-IMG_20161118_124652654-444007140.jpgDo you see two cigars that are similar? Naw, he wouldn't send a blind cigar that was also part of the selection. Would you, Steve? Actually, it isn't quite a Le Bijou profile. Too malty. Close though!

The profile doesn't change much in the final third but that's fine by me. Flavor intensifies and a bit more malty than spicy right down to the nub.tmp_21361-IMG_20161119_151452257-1809034014.jpg I am at a loss. I don't think it's a Pepin but it could be an AJ or a boutique cigar. The wrapper flaw(large vein) is more an indicator of boutique construction but I am flummoxed yet again. Good stumper, Steve. Could be a Caldwell, Crowned Heads, Asylum, or any number of boutique manufacturers that make Nicaraguan cigars. I am officially stumped!

tmp_21361-IMG_20161128_113035416-1548397807.jpg Never heard of it but I liked it. Thanks Steve. Sorry about the focus but it is a Crowned Heads LE with a cloth band called Paniolo Especiale.

A very nice cigar, IMHO. Pretty typical of a Nic Puro flavor profile which is one of my favorites. Now please don't keep me waiting too long in the pass thread. I promise to send you the most disgusting and vile collection of dog doo-doo you have ever seen. :)

Attachments

• tmp_3122-IMG_20161119_141322555_HDR-710779285.jpg
    tmp_3122-IMG_20161119_141322555_HDR-710779285.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 2
  • tmp_3122-IMG_20161118_124652654148024717.jpg
    tmp_3122-IMG_20161118_124652654148024717.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 4
  • tmp_3122-IMG_20161119_144050633_HDR-1809034014.jpg
    tmp_3122-IMG_20161119_144050633_HDR-1809034014.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 2
  • tmp_3122-IMG_20161119_151452257-1548397807.jpg
    tmp_3122-IMG_20161119_151452257-1548397807.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 2
Excellent writeup!
Glad you enjoyed it, and can't wait to try the one I saved for myself.

Thanks for all the well done pictorial reviews!

It was this last Sunday I had a chance to smoke the blind cigar Steve sent my way. To be honest, I was intimidated by a smoking a stick blind… then having to review it. I must have gone through half the smokes he sent me before I was ready to take this challenge on.
FullSizeRender 9.jpg

The stick was not particularly dense in the hand. The wrapper was smooth with a bit of oily texture, and it felt great in the hand texture wise. It measured 5 inches by about 55 or 56 RG. The wrapper was a milk chocolate color and the foot smelled a barnyard, a bit like the vintage monte I just wrote up. At first look and smell, I’m thinking it’s a Habano. Is Steve sending me a vintage Monte; the same stick I just reviewed, just to F*ck with me!? I’m thinking too hard.

My wife, Sonya and I, arrive at our local cigar bar just after the Super Bowl ended. The place was roaring and buzzing from the wild finish to the game. The wife goes with a Pinot, while I order my standard Antica Formula Red Vermouth, to keep one variable consistent… for science. Yes, for science. I apply a (rather ugly) punch cut and get cedar on the dry draw. While the first third starts, we get pulled into a conversation with some visitors from Barcelona, and try to practice our Castilian accents we picked up in Spain recently. The cigar is not producing a ton of smoke, but the draw is perfect. It is rather smooth and mild to start. Fresh baked bread turns into light angel food cake with a hint of raspberry.

FullSizeRender 8.jpg
Sonya and I start to go through the long list of options of where this cigar could be from. The ash is very light grey and hearty. The taste is still mellow and mild, but the strength is there, and I have another pour. Angel food cake/shortbread notes are still present, along with cedar coming through. The ash starts to build again and the cigar is producing ample clouds. It changes a bit at this stage, and is picking up to medium bodied, providing maltier, chalky interjections.
FullSizeRender 10.jpg

As the first ash falls off almost a third into the smoke, coffee is brewing and the aroma reaches my nose. Guantanamera comes on and we start to reminisce about the year we spent a year backpacking through Mexico and Central America almost a decade ago. The strength of this smoke is really coming on. I’m tasting something familiar, and think I can give a general idea about where the cigar is from. Maybe its the Spanish language conversations, but we continue to recall fond times south of the border. We were talking about the shotty filling Sonya got in Guatemala (in a garage, 20 minutes, cavity filled, Voila!), and the glasses that we later found out to have only one lens with a real prescription in Nicaragua… BAM, it comes to me… NICARAGUA! That is what I am tasting.
FullSizeRender 6.jpg

Only at the very end did it have an inkling of that Nica bite, that warmth that a good scotch brings you. Every other stage of this smoke left me guessing, but that malty, thick finish had me pretty positive on the country. I had no idea on anything other than that at my novice stage. The marca turns out to match the mini stick I was sent: Perdomo. Perdomo Dbl Aged 12 Yr Vintage Sun Grown. I would definitely buy some more of these, fantastic, dynamic smoke.
FullSizeRender 7.jpg