• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bloom on BBF SLB's

antaean

Did this happen to you?
Hello to all! As a newbie I have lurked in the forums here for a long time studying before registering! I have many questions.

I recently got an SLB cabinet of Bolivar Belicoso Finas [FIM SEP05]. When I opened the cab, it had the usual Bolivar aromas. However, when I unwrapped the bundle I noticed the sticks looked a bit dusty. I looked under a magnifier and it looks like dust. No fuzziness or obvious mold appearance. I plan on checking these every few days to make sure its not mold. I keep my humidors at 65%-70% RH and usually 62F-64F. I think this is habanos s.a. guide.

The sticks have dark rich wrappers. My question is this: are these too young to have bloom/plume? I have not had BBF's before so am not sure what to expect. I looked on some web sites that have mold vs. bloom pictures, and they don't seem to be what I have. Sorry guys, but no digital camera here.

antaean

(Edit: See Post #14, I got some pics)

antaean said:
Hello to all! As a newbie I have lurked in the forums here for a long time studying before registering! I have many questions.
[snapback]298205[/snapback]​

And no intro post? I thought you said you've been studying! :sign:

Most would say they are too young, but I think anything is possible. Remember, although they were rolled in Sep05, the tobacco in them has probably aged at least a few years prior to being assembled.

If you had pictures, I'm sure the guys here could give you a definitive answer.

Pyre

Gonz said:
And no intro post? I thought you said you've been studying! :sign:
[snapback]298208[/snapback]​

Oops I never looked in the "Intro Yourself Here" area...guess I was too focused on the science LOL.

Are they too young to bloom? Probably. But that's not a sure thing. I've got 2-year old sticks that exhibit faint traces of crystallization appearance but many older sticks that do not. I do, however, have several older cigars (8 years) that show a "dustiness."

As long as you do not see isolated circular patches with filamentous growth (and worse, little ball-shaped spore heads at the end of these filaments) you're probably ok.

Wilkey

Ever consider that they might just be dust?

Strayvector said:
Ever consider that they might just be dust?
[snapback]298354[/snapback]​

LOL...no, but that is as good a guess as any!!!

I will look at these again tonight.

-antaean

Just give them a good vacuuming and you'll be good to go!! :laugh: :laugh:

I went over to Radio Shack and got one of those 100x pocket microscopes for about $30 US. I examined the "dust" and it has the appearance of opaque white crystals. There are no spider webs or ball-looking things. They brush off of the cigar rather easily. In other words, all the signs of bloom/plume?

Since it didn't look like mold or beetles or cedar sawdust, I tried the taste test. No I didn't smoke it, I licked it. Not sure what I was expecting but it was a strange taste and possibly, maybe reminiscent of some kind of long-chain hydrocarbon. I don't think there was any organic sort of taste and I didn't get buzzed or sick from it...maybe I need to lick them all!!

Anybody else tasted bloom/plume? I mean, by NOT smoking it!!

From what I've heard and read, it seems like the cigars are too young to have bloom/plume. On the other hand, it seems like I can almost make out oils coming through(?) the wrappers. With the microscope that is.

antaean

Opaque white crystals??? Look like a bloom. On Bolivar Belicoso Finas [FIM SEP05]??? Ummm.... I think it is too young. IMHO.

I should check all my Bolivars and see any bloom on them. :D

Could you show us some pictures?

Gaman said:
Opaque white crystals??? Look like a bloom. On Bolivar Belicoso Finas [FIM SEP05]??? Ummm.... I think it is too young. IMHO.

I should check all my Bolivars and see any bloom on them. :D

Could you show us some pictures?
[snapback]298625[/snapback]​

I am hooking up with someone who has a digital cam later this week. I will try to post a pic if we can figure out how. Not sure how to get a microscope view though. Any ideas???

antaean

I've got the remainder of a SLB of BBF's that are 2 years old and nothin'! I've only had one box bloom, and unfortunately it was a box of LGC Wavell. God only knows how long they were sitting on the shelf. I am really interested to see some pics. If it is, I'm jealous!

n

Only one way to tell for sure ... send a few to me for careful inspection! :sign:

Sorry, couldn't resist! Somebody had to do say it ... :whistling:

OK, I took some pics of the cigars. This may be off-topic here (?) but could someone give me a hint how to post them? I don't see an attach file or upload button.

antaean

Here are the pics Antean took.

BBF05.jpg

BBF03.jpg

BBF02.jpg

BBF01.jpg

Wilkey

Thanks Wilkey, you're terrific!!!!

Picture #1 is four BBF's that I am trying to show their most photogenic sides. All have "dust" from head to foot but is mostly hard to see. The cigars are all kept in the same orientation in all the pics.

Picture #2 is a closer view of the feet with "dust".

Picture #3 is an even closer view of the foot of the bottom stick.

Picture #4 is the closest view of the bottom stick that was cropped from the #3 pic at its original resolution (or thereabouts).

Any comments on these? Any input is appreciated.

antaean

Wow!!! :0 Look like the sticks have some mild bloom on them. Not fungus for sure.

Are you sure they are from FIM SEP05??? I need to file a complaint to my vendors why they never send me Bolivar with a bloom. :laugh:

woo hoo! looks like bloom to me. :cool:

So if it is bloom, what is the implications?? I don't usually smoke when the cigars are in "sick period" (FIM SEP05 = 6 months). Does the bloom mean they are ready to go, or just that they will be that much better after another 6 mo?

I have not had this situation before, so if anyone can shed some light on this it would really help.

Cheers,

antaean

(Edit: spell check...doh)

If I am you, I will light up one after it has a good rest in humidor/coolidor for one month to see how it taste like. Then will taste test one again in every two to three months later. If could resist the temptation. :p