• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blu Ray DVD player

ree ree robusto

Official Misfit
Looking into getting a Blu Ray player for Christmas...what's your take on a good player? Nothing too expensive or too many bells and whistles I will never use. I have my sights locked in on the Sony BDP-N460. Seems to have what I need for the right price. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!
-ree

Panasonic is hard to beat. SD card slot for up to 16GB of additional memory, updates over the 'net, fairly fast load times. Just a good solid group of players. The BD60K is about $200 or less.

I have a sony BDP BX1 blu ray player that i play through my 65in SHARP AQUOS :D Sony IMHO make the best blurays! Sony always rates very well on consumer reports reviews.

IMO, wait a year and let their prices fall a little. :whistling:

I've been seeing a lot of deals for Blu-Ray players on Dealnews.com. No ideas on which models are good, though. I've got a Phillips that works fine. Loads are slow, but I don't know if that's a Blu-Ray, Phillips or firmware issue.

Features to watch for are BD-Live, which lets you load extra content over the Internet connection. Never used it, personally. I don't even have my player connected to the Internet.

Another feature which might be nice to have is the ability to play Netflix movies off of your account. If you don't have an account, then this doesn't do much for you.

If you don't care about either of those features, you can get older (non BD-Live) players for sub $100. Good luck.

-John

Main thing, IMHO, is to buy something that upconverts your "old" DVD's well. That's why I'm so fond of my Toshiba HD-DVD player. I've A/B'd several players, and I haven't seen any player that does as great a job with my older DVD's as the Toshiba does.

YMMV, etc. but the bottom line, for me, is that I have many DVD's that aren't HD or BlueRay. The enhancement that my Toshiba brings to the table is very much worth my keeping of the player I have.

Plus, I frikkin HATE Sony after the "root kit" debacle. They won't get another dime of mine. That s#!t won't fly here, to be sure.

One man's opinion - B.B.S.

Just got a LG BD370 today from Best Buy for $129 including one free Bluray up to $25.

It has streaming netflix, and youtube which I set up.

Its fantastic and you cant beat the price.

Yeah that rootkit/mediamax fiasco certainly tainted Sony with the technical end of the spectrum. Circuit City did the same for me with the old DIVX. Neither has gotten a penny from me since.

You'll find that most if not all players over $100 will have some form of up conversion for your old DVDs and some do a fairly decent job of it. I've done a side by side of my Key Digital HD Scaler (a $4500 unit) against my Tosh HD-A3 on a 106" screen and while there were certainly differences it was better than I would have thought.

Main thing, IMHO, is to buy something that upconverts your "old" DVD's well. That's why I'm so fond of my Toshiba HD-DVD player. I've A/B'd several players, and I haven't seen any player that does as great a job with my older DVD's as the Toshiba does.

YMMV, etc. but the bottom line, for me, is that I have many DVD's that aren't HD or BlueRay. The enhancement that my Toshiba brings to the table is very much worth my keeping of the player I have.

Plus, I frikkin HATE Sony after the "root kit" debacle. They won't get another dime of mine. That s#!t won't fly here, to be sure.

One man's opinion - B.B.S.

For those who uses netflix/internet, what type of wireless router do you use/recommend. I will have by dongle delivered today and have a 54g...do i need to upgrade?

TIA,

Joe

Cant go wrong with a Linksys for the price... but router opinions are nothing but a personal preference... read reviews between Linksys/Dlink and its all 50/50 good/bad.

Just got a LG BD370 today from Best Buy for $129 including one free Bluray up to $25.

It has streaming netflix, and youtube which I set up.

Its fantastic and you cant beat the price.

Hmm...

I'm looking for a blu ray player that streams netflix. How did you get this for $129.00???
On line it cost's $199.00...
I would enjoy saving $70.00

-KiltLad

For Blu Ray you can't beat Sony...they are the creator and the standard bearer. For bang for the buck the best Blu Ray player out there is the PS3. If speed is an issue for you, make sure you test out the player before you buy. Some of the players at lower price points take a long time to start up...kinda like the early generation Sony Blu Ray players. I've been devoted to Blu Ray for years now. They are awesome.