• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

BMW 2 and 4 Series?

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
Can anyone tell me what the BMW 2 and 4 series are all about? I saw one of each one the road the other day and was confused. I thought BMW was all about the Odd numbers.

You got my curious up. :) So I looked up new 2016 models on KBB. They have the 2 - 7 Series, i8, M3 - M6, X1, X3, X4, X5, X5 M, X6, and Z4. Should be something in there for everyone. :rolleyes:

After I posted this I remembered seeing an add for the new i3 electric. So add that one to the list.

FWIW while the wife's X3 was in for an oil change and service, I asked if I could have a 4-series loaner. They gave me an almost new (800 miles) 4-series Gran Coupe with the new 2 liter turbo. First off, the car was gorgeous. The amount of room was impressive, and with the rear seat folded down you could put a decent sized dresser in the back end. Huge trunk. Very useful, well thought out. Roof height was about 1" taller than the 4-series coupe. I had real misgivings about the small motor with the turbo, but it was most certainly a BMW. It moved, handled, and performed great, as you'd expect. Looks like most of the high end German car companies are going that route, to put some mileage numbers into their lineup. All in all, it was a car I'd consider buying, to be sure.

Edited to add: I've tried to upload the picture of the car twice, and it comes in upside down every time. I'll leave it attached, you'll have to stand on your head to see it...;-)

20160115_075135.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what the BMW 2 and 4 series are all about? I saw one of each one the road the other day and was confused. I thought BMW was all about the Odd numbers.

They kind of made it simpler by making it more complicated:

NON-SUVs - Odd numbered series are 4 door Sedans / Even numbered series are either Coupes or Convertibles
SUVs - Even numbered series have that hatchback/coupe style low slung back end

M series follows the same pattern. Now this is my guess but I believe, 1&2 are just the coupe and sedans versions in the same size and same with 3&4 and 5&6. 1 is now discontinued in the US.

Wow. Thanks guys. That really clears up a lot of confusion for me. I agree with Sar127, made a simple thing complicated.

Complicated is the new Infiniti nomenclature...

:p