• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Belicoso Finos

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Bolivar Belicoso Fino
5 ½ x 52

What a beautiful day!  Slept in a little this morning not getting up until around eight, actually everybody got up about the same time, which is unusual.  I started up some bacon, then French toast while Casey made the coffee.  After breakfast I went outside and started in on the pool, needed a good cleaning after sitting all winter.  Got the pool done with the help of the girls, then hit one of the sheds and did some spring cleaning in there.  Pulled my old shop vac out, pulled the lid off, and a small mouse was sitting inside staring up at me.  Casey and Jess come over, and of course Casey is having a fit, “I want to keep it, I want to keep it!”  Oh good lord I think to myself.  She runs to the house and comes back with one of those octagon plastic fish aquariums, which still has the rocks and little trees in it.  I’m like, “What exactly do you plan to do with that?”  “I’m putting the mouse in it.”  LOL!  Too funny.  She starts to reach in with her hand to grab this thing, and I’m like what are you doing NOW??  All we need is to have to go to the ER for a tetanus shot.  Needless to say the mouse got away…hicory dickory dock.  :laugh: 

The girls take off to go pick up some hamburger meat and buns, thinking about grilling out this afternoon.  While they’re gone I grab the Bolivar Belicoso Finos out my little humi, The Poet oatmeal stout from the cooler, and head out back to relax. 

I received this smoke as a tagalong in a buy I made a few months back, so not sure the age; however I do know it has at least six years on it.  I settle down in my usual chair and inspect the cigar.  The light brown wrapper is smooth throughout with the exception of the one vein running the length.  I squeeze from head to foot, find its firm with no soft spots found, then clip the cap best I can with my broken cutter and find the draw is perfect.  Taste is just really good, straightforward tobacco. 

After toasting the foot, I take several puffs, then a long, slow draw and oh I am in Boli heaven!  It’s no secret that I’m a Boliwhore, and I’ve been really looking forward to smoking this as it’s the first one I’ve had in a very long time.  My first draw just makes me go mmmm with tastes of rich dark cocoa, strong black coffee and deep earth.  There’s a perfect amount of peppery spice in the nose as I let the smoke escape slowly, the finish is lasting long on the palate. 

As I sit and smoke, Casey comes out and starts up the grill, then brings out the burgers and throws them on.  Jess comes out as well and they’re acting silly playing truth or dare.  I take a drink of the oatmeal stout, and it too is delicious, smooth with a nice maltiness and notes of chocolate, which pairs nicely with the Boli. 

Heading into the halfway mark, the belicoso is smoking excellent.  Perfect draw with the burn even, a dark gray ash forming in uniform rings with each draw.  Flavors continue to be consistent, just downright rich and delicious with the finish lasting. 

The girls continue with truth or dare, just being silly.  Casey had to dance around the car singing something about fluffy unicorns, was a good laugh for sure.  There’s a fairly strong breeze blowing and the sky slightly overcast, but it does feel really good out.  The puppies are all over the yard running and playing, just a nice day for sure. 

Right before reaching the middle, the ash falls on its own.  Both strength and body of this cigar is full, and the flavors continue to be that of rich dark cocoa and earth, possibly a good taste of wood in there as well.  I’m really enjoying both the cigar and oatmeal stout. 

The burgers are just about done; however mine will have to wait just a bit as I am going to finish up this incredible Boli.  This again is one of, if not my favorite marca as it just matches my palate perfectly.  It smoked flawlessly through to the end, and I was sad to see it go.  Ah what I wouldn’t give for a box of these BOLIS!!  :D 

A great review on one of my favorite cigars of all time.  I believe this is the best of the vitola, world wide.

Do you always cut your Beli's that way?  With a slight slant to the cut?  The reason I ask is, at a cigar bar in New Orleans I was at they did that to a Beli I had.  I hadn't seen it done like that before.  It appears you gave your BBF the same cut.  Just curious.

Hey Wyatt!  Yep, always cut my torps this way, called the "Dick" cut (guys name that started it was named Dick).  This supposedly opens up a wider area of the head, and also aims the smoke more towards the palate for better flavor. 

Well that stands to reason I guess.  I'll give it a go on my next one!

Really nice review! I can't wait to have my first BBQ this year.

Wyatt, I also cut my figurados this way for the same reasons mentioned above.

I haven't had the pleasure of smoking one of these yet, but it is certainly on the got to try soon list; especially after your great review.
Thanks!!

Bolis are on the top of my ISOM list along with H Upmann and Diplomaticos.  Great review as always, Greg!  Always enjoy the personal touch you add to them too.  Not just a review but a story to go with it.

Wow looks great! I was just reading about the Dick (or Dickman?) cut. I'd heard of the cut before but never the name. Learn something new everyday.

Very nice review, and lovely family as well. You are blessed

From a fellow Boli ho, great review Greg. How did the oatmeal stout pair with the BBF?
I haven't tried a similar pairing before.

wavescrashing said:
From a fellow Boli ho, great review Greg. How did the oatmeal stout pair with the BBF?
Mike! Long time my friend! Hope you're doing well brother! The oatmeal stout did well with it; however I think an Imperial would go better. Of course, it wouldn't matter the drink to me because it was a BOLI!

You still doing the poor man's reviews? Was good stuff!

Kingantz said:

Mike! Long time my friend! Hope you're doing well brother! The oatmeal stout did well with it; however I think an Imperial would go better. Of course, it wouldn't matter the drink to me because it was a BOLI!

You still doing the poor man's reviews? Was good stuff!

I'm doing well brother. I'm down in Houston now.
I'll have to give that a try.
I haven't. I'll have to dig and see about starting it up again. Hopefully I didn't develop the palate of a goat between my last review and now :p

Damn you Greg.  You show back up, and not I'm craving BOLIS!  Time to do some digging, and see if I even have any in the cooler.   I think I might have a couple stashed.

Great review and pic's, I was thinking of picking up some HDM Epi 2's but now I want to pick up some of the BBF's.