• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Belicosos Finos

Drewski

i recently picked up an SLB of Bolivar Belicosos Finos box code "TEB Feb08," and have had them resting in my humidor for about a month. i have read some other forums where people said young BBFs can taste slightly sour due to tannins; but with some aging turn into great-smooth-full bodied Bolivars. Based on the rich aroma of chocolate and coffee, i assumed they would be fine; but I lit one up last night and it tasted REALLY young (slightly sour on the finish).

anybody else ever run into this with a BBF?
What has been a proper amount of time in a humidor to get these "just right?"

thanks!

It sounds like it's "sick". Some would say let them sleep for several years or more. I on the other hand would taste them every 6 months to year. The 2005's I have are smoking great. Granted, these are not BBFs though but the point is with CC patience is often rewarded.

I like BBFs but not well enough to buy boxes of them--but that's me :)

Edited to clean-up shift and typo transgressions :)

What the heck!? Did you both lose the 'SHIFT' key? :laugh:

Sounds like they may be too moist.

Then again, some folks won't smoke a 2008 stick until 2018!
I've had the 08's and they are smoking great...unless they are over humidified.

The humidity is around 70-71%...I think I will lower it to give what you suggest a shot. Just so I know....why would high humidity make the flavor taste "young?"

The humidity is around 70-71%...I think I will lower it to give what you suggest a shot. Just so I know....why would high humidity make the flavor taste "young?"

Dunno.

But try 'dry boxing' a couple smokes first....let the rest sit.

Good cuban cigars are a real case of YMMV the famous Your Mileage May Vary. Each box and vitola can go through different periods and tastes. If it tastes young, smoke another, if it still tastes young you unfortunately have to move on to another box of cigars for a while and let them work their way out. Opening the box in the humidor should help out a bit.

In my experience, there's still a lot of variation box to box in terms of aging, that you just have to go with the flow. Just remember, the more sealed up the box is the longer it takes to age and hence go through these periods.

Also, YMMV again, but Cuban's tend to draw not so well in the 70-71 range. You might try 65 for an extended period of time or the "dry boxing" process.

EDIT: Not to say that I think the humidity alters the taste in the short term, maybe so but I haven't seen that. But humidity mainly shows up in the draw, in the near term.

In general, 70-71% humidity is too high for cubans. I would bring them down to 62-65% for at least 30 days, and see how they smoke. As suggested above, if you're impatient dry box one for a couple days and see how it smokes. Bolivars in general need some aging time to really shine in my opinion. Good luck and have fun!

How do you quiet down 18 guys who just finished having nice steak dinners? By passing out a box of 1998 Boli CE. The noise level went down from boisterous to nothing but ahhs in a minute after we lit up! :)

YMMV? What the hell is wrong with you guys. Stop trying to drive the cigars, and smoke them. No wonder you are having issues.

I just had one last night, same box code & year. DELICIOUS! Maybe it is the humidity.

I love the BBF it's one of my favorite smokes. I too have a box from the same time and they are smoking good right now. Of course as mentioned not all of them r
are going to be 10s.

I did a box split on a box coded TEB Sep07 - and think they're fantastic. I smoked the first one after about 2 or 3 weeks - and thought they were fantastic then, too.

I did a box split on a box coded TEB Sep07 - and think they're fantastic. I smoked the first one after about 2 or 3 weeks - and thought they were fantastic then, too.

I too have a box with that same code. I got it since my daughter was born in SEP 07 so I smoked one on her first birthday last year and it was pretty good. I get to smoke one this weekend to celebrate her 2nd birthday...I can't wait to see how they are coming along. I plan to smoke one on her birthday every year.

I read about a lot of people doing that, and personally I think it is a great idea. You can see how your kids evolve over time, and the BBFs as well. Happy Birthday to your daughter.

I finished the last of my BBFs from 05 :( Time to find some more!

A very good cigar with a litlle age on them even better. :thumbs:

I read about a lot of people doing that, and personally I think it is a great idea. You can see how your kids evolve over time, and the BBFs as well. Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes....I now will be needing a JUN 09 box so I can do the same with my daughter that was born back in June.. :thumbs: I am thinking Monte #2s or Cohiba Robustos for this one.