• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Bonita

handyman dave

Newbie - Still old but not dead yet!
This a Bolivar Bonita, a Petit Mareva, 4 7/8" long, 40 ring.
Date of manufacture ABR 07
Lovely wrapper, very small veins with a nice sheen to the leaf.
2008-03-1515-32-41_0023_resize.jpg

The prelight aroma was rich and earthy.

2008-03-1515-33-20_0025_resize.jpg

The foot showed a nice accordion-like folding.

2008-03-1515-36-31_0028_resize.jpg

While the head showed a lovely triple cap. It cut cleanly revealing nice internal structure.

2008-03-1515-34-19_0026_resize.jpg

Prelight the draw was perfect to my taste, medium firm with an earthy, barnyard taste.
It fired beautifully with a white pepper and leather initial character.

2008-03-1515-42-58_0029_resize.jpg

At 1/2" hints of cedar and a slight fruitiness were developing.

2008-03-1515-47-15_0030_resize.jpg

At 1" the sweetness and fruity notes continued with hints of cocoa emerging. The ash was firm and grey but I was becoming concerned about the unevenness you can see above. The ash fell soon after this photo was taken and the burn corrected itself with no additional attention from me.

2008-03-1515-59-12_0033_resize.jpg

At the halfway mark the smoke was mellowing considerably with rich, creamy tasting tobacco flavor filling my mouth and nasal cavities.

2008-03-1516-16-10_0034_resize.jpg

The final third developed some black pepper flavors with the cedar and creamy character continuing.
The last inch was very mellow and smooth while continuing the wonderful rich, creamy taste until I could not hold it any longer. It lasted a little over 50 minutes for me, although I tend to smoke rather quickly.

I thoroughly enjoyed this smoke. At less than $6 each by the box, delivered, I found it to be a reasonable value in a lovely, full bodied smoke. I look forward to seeing what some additional aging will do in developing this already tasty stick.

Great pictures and review. Haven't tried the bonitas yet but it is on my short list.

Great review with nice pics. I have to say the Boli line has become one of my favorites!

Great review and accompanying pics. I really like that size although I haven't tried the Boli offering yet. Greg, is this a student of yours? If not an equally quality camera was used. Simply beautiful pics.

Thanks for sharing, great pictures and review. Keep them coming!

Yes, I am a devoted student of Greg's, as are many of us I am sure. His work is truely inspirational to us newbs! :love:
Thanks for the kind words on the pictures. (It helps to have a really photogenic subject like this Boli!) :D These pics were taken with a Sony DSC-T1, 5 megapixel camera, used in macro mode. With a little fill lighting it works pretty well, hand-held with no flash at all. I downsized the pics to make them fit better on the visual page. Threre was a loss of clarity but not so much that most would notice.
I hope to do a few more reviews as the opportunities present themselves. I have a few special sticks lined-up but would like to give them some additional humi-time before setting them alight.

If anyone has ideas for sticks that ought to be reviewed and photographed please let me know as I am always open to suggestions and would enjoy doing some more!

Great review and accompanying pics. I really like that size although I haven't tried the Boli offering yet. Greg, is this a student of yours? If not an equally quality camera was used. Simply beautiful pics.

Very nice review Dave! Will have to find a few of those. Keep those nice reviews coming.

Don

I've been curious about these as I love the PC. I also saw some with age at a decent price!