• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Gold Medal.

Advil

Hello Friends! Ever since my push down the slope of the cigar world, the Bolivar Gold Medal has been one of the Sticks of my dreams, something I was dying to try! I finally got my hands on a box and got one torched. So I figured, for those who haven't tried them, why not give a little review to get you drooling?

The cigar in all its glory.
img0051fm0.jpg

The cigar is a lonsdale size with a 42 ring guage, 6.4 inches in length, and absolutely beautiful construction. As I said in my review of the Punch Punch, this is a cigar that lets you truly appreciate the skill of the rollers in the ISOM factories!

Naked. I put the band back on for the review, there isn't one under the foil. That would be silly.
img0052oq0.jpg

Prelight - As I said, the construction was perfect. My palio provided a perfect cut which resulted in a great draw. Fairly loose with just the right amount of resistance. The prelight draw gave off floral and earthy notes. Very pleasant already!

1st Third - Upon clipping, toasting and finally lighting this beautiful cigar, The medium bodied smoke gave off floral/earthy notes with a touch of an odd spice that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Hints of this strange spice and pepper would linger on the back of your palate and tongue leaving you with a very mysterious finish. I'm sure most people would just love this but I couldn't take the suspense of not knowing what it was! Once I got over the annoyance of curiosity, I sat back and started to really enjoy this phantom spice.
From the first puff, the smoke was very, very thick. I liked this considering I was in a large room with plenty of ventilation and air circulating. But I get the feeling it would be a little much if I were at the B&M or a restaurant (not that anyone at the former would really mind at all, the aroma was fantastic!)

img0053nz6.jpg

The ash was a little flaky and didn't hold up too well at the start.

2nd Third - Very soon after a third into the cigar, maybe even a tad earlier, the spice almost completely disappeared. The smoke then was only one word...CREAMY (but if I had to use two words, I would add the word toasty to the mix)! Almost like a very very flavorful Montecristo White label. Yes, odd comparison but shut up and listen! The flavor was somewhat consistent from the first third, smoothly resting on my palate with strong earth and floral notes. Almost like a potpourri of sweet tobacco. The smoke was very sweet and still very thick. Though the smoke was extremely thick, you would never know you had any in your mouth. At this point I knew I had a winner for sure.

img0054jl4.jpg

Creamy, toasty goodness.
(early pic)

The last third - Once I got to the last third of this cigar, I was sad to know it was almost over, but was cheered up at the thought that there were 9 more in the box!
At this point in the cigar, the flavor was much warmer, spice completely gone and a complexity that appeared from nowhere. The complexity of the last third of this smoke was very...different? A very woody, nutty profile took over, no flavors reminiscent of the floral tangyness of the first two thirds, and no more of that twang that makes the ISOMS famous. Just a very complex, full bodied flavor with a but of nicotine strength not found in any bit of smoke prior to this third. There was still a hint of sweetness that was on the finish, almost a coffee/cocoa finish to replace the "phantom" spice of before. The cigar finished off with a bang and definitely had me drooling for more! It makes me sad these things don't come in cabs, or even 25'ers. I definitely need to get my hands on more boxes soon.

img0055xl0.jpg

No picture of the nub. I was too into the flavor :p
The pics are a little off with timing. But it's just to give you an idea of what it looked like as it was smoking. And the quality of the pics is bleh since I took them with my iPhone.

Very nice review.

Pity about the focus, check if you have a macro setting on your camera, most do.

Brian

I tried to smoke one of these a couple of weeks ago.
I purchased it to gift to a mate but when I spotted a beetle hole near the foot I decided to smoke it, but I had a totally different experience to what you had mate. The draw was tight, too tight to smoke in fact, so I clipped it a bit more and kept puffing. I was getting a bit more smoke out of it, but the cigar in a whole was a total disappointment to me so I chucked it at the halfway point.
All in all a total waste of money. So different to the 06 BGM's.

Very nice review.

Pity about the focus, check if you have a macro setting on your camera, most do.

Brian

I took it with my iPhone. No macro settings :(

I purchased it to gift to a mate but when I spotted a beetle hole near the foot I decided to smoke it, but I had a totally different experience to what you had mate. The draw was tight, too tight to smoke in fact, so I clipped it a bit more and kept puffing. I was getting a bit more smoke out of it, but the cigar in a whole was a total disappointment to me so I chucked it at the halfway point.

Thats odd, and very unfortunate. My draw was pretty loose, if anything I would like it to be a tad tighter. I'm sorry to hear that :(

Very nice review.

Brian

I took it with my iPhone. No macro settings :(

Thats odd, and very unfortunate. My draw was pretty loose, if anything I would like it to be a tad tighter. I'm sorry to hear that :(

I was sorry too bro as it cost me Au$30........
I could have brought 5 padron 2000's for that... :laugh:

Great review. I just received some of these and can't wait to smoke them.

I've only had two of these. The first I had gave me a similar experience to yours. I thought it was outstanding in every regard.

Then I was given one in Moki's blind taste test that I thought was so poor I guessed it was from Mexico :)

I haven't given up on these by any means, the first was so good that I'll revisit them for sure. I've also heard some inconsistency reports with this cigar, so hopefully I just had a bad one in the blind taste test.

Glad you enjoyed it though :thumbs:

I've only had two of these. The first I had gave me a similar experience to yours. I thought it was outstanding in every regard.

Then I was given one in Moki's blind taste test that I thought was so poor I guessed it was from Mexico :)

I haven't given up on these by any means, the first was so good that I'll revisit them for sure. I've also heard some inconsistency reports with this cigar, so hopefully I just had a bad one in the blind taste test.

Glad you enjoyed it though :thumbs:
That pretty much echoes my experience (except for the moki part :) ).

The first one I smoked was so good I thought I'd gone to cigar heaven. The second one was almost Perdomo-esque it was so bad. I have one left. I hope it's a lot more like the first than the second. I especially hope all the ones I had that ended up in other BOTL's hands were more like the first.

Very nice review.

Brian

The macro setting would really help. Your countertops and floors look really clean, though :sign:

Great review. I smoked my first (and only one, so far) while I was walking the dogs last week and I have to admit that I finally found a Bolivar that I like. I agree that the smoke was very creamy. Tasted alot like a very light cup of coffee, to me.

I appreciate your comments about smoking the cigar inside, because that's a luxury that I miss. I think that the fact that I always smoke outdoors has a big influence on what I taste (and don't taste). I'd love to smoke this one in a restaurant where I could get surrounded by the volumes of smoke and focus a bit more on the tastes.

Nice review.

Very nice.
I have to say that when I first bought my box from 07, I lit one up after a week. I had the same draw issues that others mentioned here. Fast foward about four months and I had one last week.

Huge, difference! The draw was quite a bit better, and I guess this had quite a bit to do with the welcomed change in the flavor profile.

Dave, you need to get another one and sit on it for about six months bro.

What a 'tasty' review! Thanks. Those have to be a little better than the Lusis I use to smoke.

Dan

Got a couple of boxes and smoked 5 so far. They are all over the place. Very good, so so, dull and alright. I'm going to age them for a couple of years, but I not really excited about them anymore. I'm happier with a cab of Por Larranaga PC, or my Monte #2s.